Traxeostomy

My mother has stroke now in hospital for 2 weeks with respirator and now doctors suggest to Tracheostomy because my mom still can’t fully breathing ( weak breathing ) but she could move her left and right legs by herself and lift herself body in general her condition is not too bad but only breathing problem, I am abut worry if how Tracheostomy would help her or any risk and any chance to stop using it after? does anyone has experienced in this situations and if you could give me advice ?

2 Likes

Hi @Paria just wanted to welcome you to the forum though I have no experience of Tracheostomy. I know of a gardener in the neighbourhood who had a permanent one in due to throat cancer. Needless to say his voice was unusual, due to how it functions, but could be understood perfectly. I’m afraid that’s as much as I know.

You mums Tracheostomty I suspect, will only be until her brain recovers sufficiently enough for her lungs to function independently once again.

There’s just no telling how long that can take as it depends on the extent of the damage to her brain from the stroke. A lot is recovered in the first 6 months, the rest years.

When/if it is removed, the doctor will either leave it to heal over by itself or maybe stitch it closed.

No medical professional will ever tell you there is no risk, and I wouldn’t either, and I’m not a medical professional. There is always risk, even having an ingrown toenail removed has risk.
And from what I can tell in an online search; in a Tracheostomy the risk can be anything from 6 to 48% with a mortality rate of 1.6 %

In your mums case though, there’s a much greater risk without it…or the doctors wouldn’t be considering it.

I hope your mum recovers sufficiently enough to do without it. And keep checking in here as others will be along (some over the next few days) who may have more experience with this. In the mean time, you take good care of yourself as mums worry about their babies…no matter how old they may be :wink: :smile:

1 Like

@Paria Hi & welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your mum has had a stroke. I don’t have any experience of a tracheostomy other than a family friend who had to have one. She had it in permanently- not stroke related but can’t remember what the reason she had it fitted was.

She lived a perfectly good life with it but as @EmeraldEyes said she sounded different.

I’m guessing the risk of not having it is greater than the risk of having it in your mum’s case.

I do think i’ve heard of cases where people have had them removed. I would ask drs how long they think she’ll need it for.

It must be very difficult for you.

Sending my best wishes.

Ann

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum and I hope you get more good advice like that by the very knowledgeable young ladies who have posted above.

That sounds like a tricky situation.

@Paria

I’m sorry I cannot offer any experience whatsoever in that field

K :polar_bear:

But…

Here is a picture of a polar bear with his / her (?) mother to cheer you up!
Fewer polar bear cubs are being born in the Arctic islands, survey finds |  Polar regions | The Guardian

1 Like

Thank you for giving me advice Ann. I feel I have a hope now that she could removed tracheostomy. My mum has blood clot on the left brain the doctor said she couldn’t be able to use right side of the body, but since first day hospitals till yesterday she can move and lift her right leg and arm lift body a bit but very slow and can hold the phone. And understand some of the words. Unfortunate she didn’t understand the word ‘ breathing’ which doctor try to communicate and practice her to breathe full lung. I hope this may be only temporary and she may understand and try to do it after.

2 Likes

Thank you for giving me information, that very kind of you.

1 Like

@Paria it’s good news that your mum has some movement and use of her right side. This should improve in time & with practice. Try & keep her using it. I was left side affected & every time the physios waljed past my bed in hospital they shouted to me do that with your left hand. Drove me mad but did me a lot of good.

Most people do improve over time so there is plenty of room for hope that your mum will remember how to breathe…she may just need some help in the meantime.

Wishing you both all the best.

Ann x

1 Like

Thank you for everyone answer for my questions I am very appreciate.

3 Likes

Today I was asking the doctor if how can my mom improve the breathing if she has new airway at her throat and how can she try to breath if we can only breath in only one way at the time and if she try to breath by her nose what would be happen to the throat airway and I didn’t really get the answer if anyone here has any information about this? I hope she could be able to remove Tracheostomy after but I believe she may need to try practice exercise or rehab but I am a worry if she make it easy to get the air by the new airway(Tracheostomy) and she no longer trying to breathe by nose anymore ?

2 Likes

But if she is struggling to breath on her own, she would be starving herself of much needed oxygen to her brain. At the very least, this will hinder brain repair and recovery. But also it could cause another stroke or even death.
The doctors have to weigh up those risk factors versus quality of life when considering this.

1 Like

It sounds like you need to get the drs to explain the risks versus benefits of the procedure. Write down your questions & make sure they’re answered to your satisfaction. Ask them a direct question about chances of the tracheostomy being reversed. You need to know if that is / isn’t an option.

They would only do this procedure if it is absolutely necessary & as @EmeraldEyes has said if she’s not getting the oxygen she needs it will be affecting her in other ways.

It must be a very difficult time for you.

Sending my best wishes.

Ann x

1 Like