Tools to train and develop the affected hand

Hello wonderful group,

I am wondering if it would be possible to compile a list of gadgets, toys, tools, apps to help with training the affected arm?

Does anyone know of an good simple touch typing app to measure / train the affected hand? I’m on (don’t laugh) 8 words per minute, with 1 finger. My new keyboard has better keys that I can feel / hear depress. My non-dominant hand started out at about 8 words per minute, and is now on 25. I aim for a similar improvement with my affected hand.

I’m also interested in objects that can stimulate sensation and feeling. The sort of game I like is putting objects in a bag, and trying to guess what those objects are by feel. I’ve forgotten what the term is for this ability.

I’m also interested in mirror therapy, but in my case it’s not for movement, but for feeling / sensation. I think up my own techniques, but I am aware that especially in the US there are official exercises listed. Does anyone here use mirror therapy?

I’m interested in all techniques, methods and objects that can be used to improve control, dexterity, feeling, etc. I expect there are many options, but I haven’t come across a good resource, because I haven’t been looking hard.

Hope everyone is making progress,
ciao, Roland

4 Likes

@pando i don’t have any official apps, toys etc but I did things like putting pegs on rim of a tub, picking up and moving jigsaw puzzle pieces, squeezing putty & stress balls & colouring in, squeezing toothpaste tubes etc.

For typing it was just practice…when i sent a message I used my affected hand. It got quicker & easier over time.

Not sure that is what you’re looking for but all those things helped me.

Good luck.

5 Likes

Hi Roland
I have used a couple. Didn’t get on so well with one this shape as the plastic is hard and the hand angle feels odd.
https://amzn.eu/d/hkQu6lG

This style was much nicer to use, nice and soft

As a very simple one, I use a tea towel, make it into a sausage shape so that it’s good to grip. Might need to fold a couple of times.

The physios often test me on the speed that I can get my thumb to touch each of my fingers in turn.

On typing, the common mistake I make on a pc keyboard was not pressing the keys down hard enough with my weak hand so had a few spelling mistakes. There is a bit more travel needed to register. Found using a laptop keyboard a fair bit easier.

A bit like you mark on a wall how high a child has grown, I did the same for my affected arm. Encourages to stand on tip toes as well. Helps to have a bed behind when it goes wrong.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Nige

4 Likes

4 Likes

Thanks Mike,

what is the name of

1. the pink rubber thing
  2. the blue rubber thing

i have loads of resistance bands, thx
ciao, Roland

2 Likes

The pink one - expand the palm
The green band - different lengths for gripping an pulling - side ways or downwards with a long one hooked over a door. good for shoulder strengthening.
Blue hand device - squeeze together to strengthen wrist and arm

3 Likes

I’ll have to get back to on the pink one. My OT gave it to me this morning.
The blue one (pack of 2) are from Replab Consulting Ltd (Cardiff based), called a hand grip.

3 Likes

Thanks Mike,

I ordered a couple of similar looking things on Amazon; we’ll see what arrives tomorrow

ciao, Roland

2 Likes

Hi Roland @pando,
Stereognosis is the term you were looking for regarding the ability to differenciate objects by touch alone - not there yet myself but have got to the point where I can, more frequently, find my pocket but I just haven’t got a clue what’s in it (total nightmare when my phone is in there on vibrate - missed call after missed call).

One random hand training tool that i picked up, in a charity shop, a couple of months ago is a pair of Baoding balls

I remembered having a set in my late teens and that I’d found them relaxing so I splurged a whole £3 :smiley: and now use them when I’m on tele/video calls during work.

Think that they are really helping with dexterity, mainly because I’m too scared to drop them during a work call due to the chiming sound they make.

Take care

Rich C.

4 Likes

Hey Rich, @llareggub,

I also have these Chinese Baoding balls, with pandas on them (apologies to @KGB). They were given to me years ago by a Chinese violin student years before my stroke, and somehow I didn’t think of using them for therapy, but that’s what they’re for!! I was using 3 walnuts, which are slightly smaller, and you juggle them in your hand… a very old school Chinese rehab. therapy… like my Chinese dr. / old school.

thx for post, ciao, hope you’re well, Roland

4 Likes

Had my first mirror therapy session today and I feel very positive about the concept. It appeals from minute one.
This instantly feels like it messes with my mind, in a good way.

The important bit is to concentrate 100% on the mirror and think over and over it’s your weak side.

Who would think looking in a mirror would be, so enjoyable.

Trying items with different textures to add to the effect

6 Likes

Hi Nigel @Nigelglos,
do you have to imagine the horse hoof noise that the real and reflected coconut shell would make too?

Now that would really mess with your mind. :grin:

Take care

Rich C.

4 Likes

Worse than that Rich, I had to imagine was riding the second favourite at Epsom :grin::grin:

There is genuinely something about this, it’s so simple but really interesting

4 Likes

Great work, Nige

I started a thread on mirror therapy, pity this post missed being included in it. However, keeping ourselves stimulated is priceless, so I’m glad you’re having fun. Enjoy !

ciao, Roland

3 Likes

That’s exactly the idea…

3 Likes

@Nigelglos to be honest, as soon as I saw the coconut(s) I immediately thought of Monty Python and The Holy Grail :joy:

Glad to hear that this is helping, I’m sure that I’ve got a spare mirror tile somewhere so if I can find it then I’ll give it a go.

One other thing that I have been doing is passing objects, whatever is to hand (pun not intended), between my hands with my eyes closed to compare the difference in touch sensation (and weight perception) whilst trying to tell my brain that what I sense with my right hand is correct. Although knowing my luck I’ll end up training my good hand to be as bad as my bad hand!!

5 Likes

By the way, Nige

Where did you get half a coconut? Homemade?

thx, Roland

3 Likes

Hello Pando,
My physio calls the pink finger stretcher; circular finger stretcher resistance band.
I did find similar idea as - hand grip strengthener or Hand Round Rings And Finger Stretcher Gripping Grip Ball.
See what you think when you google it.

4 Likes

It’s what’s left of a bird feeder Roland. You can get them in places like Poundland. Has a bit of string on it and it’s full of something like suet and seeds.
I have just been using it again.

What I have found really quite quickly is I need to keep my good hand out of my eyeline as much as possible.

I have had maybe 3 occasions so far when I have looked at the image of my right hand and wondered why I can’t move my finger ie I have bought into it fully that the image in the mirror is my left hand.

I wonder if this is a form of self hypnosis. The more I can convince myself it’s my left (weak) hand the better.

My real left hand goes behind the mirror under a shelf which is covered so there is no way I can see it.

I have thought of a couple of things

• record something in advance which i can play. Me speaking to myself. May be something like, Nige, the image you can see is your left hand. No pain when you move it, no tingling today. Much longer of course but along these lines
  • for me, do this when my arm really is in pain, see if it changes in any way
  • use it when I am tired, just feels like I might be even more open to the suggestion

That’s the idea so far anyway
Cheers
Nige

5 Likes

Following!!! Thanks for this new post! OOPS, I should have said Watching, as that is what I changed to in order to get all the updates on this! Wish we could use the same ‘wording’ across all platforms that perform the same function.

2 Likes