To My Scottish Pals

I was born in Dumfriess, birthplace of Rabbie Burns. I’ve been back to Scotland on holiday twice. For an artist like me Scotland is such a gorgeous place.
Yes the weather there can be daunting, but I miss Bonnie Scotland. I’ve been in the USA since childhood. I have cousins still in Scotland, and many in New Zealand, another lovely country full of Scots.
I’m a bit over a year since stroke and fighting hard.
I found a place near New York where I can get tattie Scones, Sausage rolls, Bridies,
Meat pies, and slab sausage, black pudding.…heaven.
In my condition I have to stay away from my beloved single malt.
I hope you are doing well on this journey, all the best.
Derek of the Cameron clan. Cheerio the noo

8 Likes

Now there is one thing I hope is never bottled anywhere – a non-alcoholic single malt.

This sassenach here is wishing you well.

:+1:

for those who dinna ken
The English or “Sassanoch”, that is, Saxons, as they call themselves in their language.

2 Likes

@Bobbi
Thanks sassenach ( I love the Outlander series).
A single malt non-alcoholic beverage? Surely a sin. :face_exhaling:
Best to you my friend.

2 Likes

That is a place I like to visit. I once stayed in a cottage on the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust nature reserve at Caerlaverock (6 miles south of Dumfries).

2 Likes

@sunnyday sounds wonderful. Dad was born in Stirling, quite a castle there.
There are still remnants of Sanquhar Castle where my mum was born.

1 Like

@CommunityAdmin So nice to hear from you. All the best.
Derek of the Cameron clan.

2 Likes

my sister is in Canada and she has a scottish shop near her with all the goodies you mentioned ,she is an ex pat as well
i have been over there twice .and when i was over she said she would take me there so could get all the things i got at home
it was the look on her face when i said not to bother ,
she asked me why ? and explained to he i didnt fly 6000 miles to get something i can walk to my local shop and get the other 50 weeks of the year
on a side note after a bit of research for my clan and my tartan
it is Cameron

4 Likes

@cuddyhung Ha Ha good one, 6000 miles to get what you already have, and plenty.
The Camerons have 4 tartans. All of course…very pretty! :wink:

2 Likes

i didnt really like the cameron tartans (personal choice)
as i was hunting them down back then i could only find 2
this was for my wedding about 97 (pre internet days) and
as my mum is a McFarlane i went with a nice green one from
that side of my family

4 Likes

New York, New York … I do like a bit of black pudding me.

3 Likes

@Rups
Black pudding, fried tomatoes, Two eggs, bacon, tattie scones. The famous Scottish
breakfast…Yum!

4 Likes

Okay, now I know what Marmite is (yuck!)…sorry to those who like it. What is black pudding? And are those fried tomatoes green or red, and how do you fry them? In Indiana they would be green and fried in an egg/flour batter (or cornmeal which is also yuck to me).

3 Likes

@DeAnn
Fry it all up in bacon fat. Tomatoes, sliced and red fried the same way.

Marmite is a salty tasting black gloop made from spent brewers’ yeast it is very high in vitamin B content and good for you.

As for black pudding, probably best you don’t ask.

but as you did,
here’s a recipe, better look away

• 2 litres of fresh pigs blood
  • 500g of diced back fat, slightly sweated
  • 250g of sliced onions, finely chopped and gently sweated
  • 2 heaped tbsp of oatmeal, soaked in water overnight
  • 1 heaped tsp of white pepper
  • 1 heaped tbsp of salt
  • 1 heaped tsp of ground mixed spice (such as coriander, cumin & ginger)
  • 500 ml of double cream

. . . and you thought marmite which is vegetarian was bad.

Actually both are very tasty.

3 Likes

I’m not likely to find that much pig’s blood around here. And I don’t know what sweated means. The rest sounds good.

I will say I understand why the British and Americans are not well known for their cuisine! I have had plenty of Irish stews, which are wonderful, if one has little to eat, but otherwise are much better with more spices and for me, preferably some added protein. (In all fairness, we did not have money for spices other than salt and pepper, had meat on Sunday with fats reserved to add to stews the rest of the week. Too many people to feed, with too little money).

2 Likes

@DeAnn Have you tried Shepard’s Pie? Dee- Lish

1 Like

Yes. We call it a pot pie here. I like them, but still could use some more spices. I am spoiled by Mexico nearby and a love for Moroccan, Spanish and South American dishes. Thai, Indian, and Persian are also very good. My Celtic heritage has been overrun by the bursting flavors around the world.

I forgot who I was talking to. Although Great Lakes/Ohio Valley is a bit different from New Jersey.

1 Like

@DeAnn Hey DeAnn… not like a pot pie. It is a layered kind of pie with no crust, but a top layer of buttery mashed potatoes. My own recipe is: first layer of cooked ground beef or pork and onions, second layer mixed veggies, 3rd layer mashed turnips, 4th crumbled cheddar Cheese, last…mashed potatoes then into the oven to brown the top.

1 Like

Good to see that you chose a picture of Bury Black Puddings! Bury is not far from me and I have had black puddings from there in the past.
Due to the high fat content and Doctor’s advice I am no longer allowed to eat them.

3 Likes

I won’t tell if you don’t. A small medicinal slice would probably do you a world of good.
Proper food for a Northerner.

2 Likes

I usually get half a dozen for my hubby from the same company in Bury Market as I’m not far either. I usually freeze a few so I don’t have to go so often :smile: I don’t care for them myself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes