Things do go wrong sometimes (Pizza problem)

I’m not ashamed to admit to my mistakes or to show off my pre-stroke big belly.

I have lost some weight post stroke, which is good, unfortunately I still make mistakes, so no change there.

I start this episode with a brief description of what I set out to do.

Homemade Pizza is quite easy to put together but do keep your eye on the ball.
Hilary laughed and kindly took photographs of the stages in production of this, my masterpiece. (failed)

First a dough is created, then this is part baked in a frying pan.

The ingredients are added a layer at a time:
tomato puree, grated cheese, tomato, onion, sliced pepper, ham, mozarella cheese, olives followed by a drizzle of olive oil.

At this stage we have some plastic plate covers which we place over the pizzas until ready to heat through. I put them in the oven out of the way.

About 3/4 of an hour before meal time I turned the oven on to get hot.
Once it was hot I opened the oven door and realised I had made a small error.
It couldn’t have happened to a nicer chap, big belly and braces, included at no extra cost.

Somehow I managed to separate plastic and dinner, and the meal was served.

I could supply a more complete error free recipe if anyone is interested.

. . . or if you will trust me ever again.

keep on keepin’ on
:cook: :pizza:

5 Likes

@Bobbi apart from the olives they look lovely. I have done similar

2 Likes

@Mahoney
We did buy more plastic plate covers, but decided not to incorporate them in any future cooked meals.

. . . . and yes they are proper tasty, though probably better without ‘extra plastic’.

In those days, pre-stroke, I was master of the kitchen, hence my well-fed look.
I have since lost some weight though these days i have the nerve to tell Hilary she is giving me too much.

@chris67
The advantage of a pizza is that you can decorate it to your own taste. There is no ‘wrong’ just chose and use the ingredients you like.

Thanks for taking the time to post a comment.

4 Likes

Hi @Bobbi. The best laid plans… This sort of thing happens to me all the time. I think I 'm being organised then realise a crucial stage is missed out. Setting the timer, but not actually switching it on is a good one. You’ve inspired me, home made pizza it is tonight😋. Julia x

4 Likes

@JuliaH
just be extra careful with any plastic you might have laying around in the kitchen.
It’s a minefield out there.

:cook: :pizza: :+1:

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Oh I’m so glad I’m not the only one who does daft things like that :laughing:
I don’t use shop bought ones often and you can tell…9 times out of 10 I’ll forget about the cardboard or polystyrene tray underneath just pop them in the oven.
Card is not so bad, but polystyrene…that’s an acquired taste are rather not develope :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :rofl:

2 Likes

Ahhh @Bobbi it’s these things that make us hooman :grin: i often do daft things like that. The other day I put the microwave on to heat my dinner & it was only when it went ping that I realised my dinner was still sat neatly by the side of the microwave :rofl::rofl:

The pizza does look yummy though. :yum::yum:

4 Likes

Screenshot_20230503-220951_Firefox
I hope the cat was OK

4 Likes

I did just that with my porridge the other morning :laughing:

1 Like

@MinnieB
I do see what you mean now.
I hasten to add that no livestock was inconvenienced in the making of this picture.

:smiley: :black_cat:

@EmeraldEyes
I think they are right in pointing out that plastic is becoming a problem. Things are dire when it starts interfering in porridge production.

1 Like

Bobby, What can I say? OOPS! I know how it feels. I put a nice macaroni & cheese casserole in the oven on a very low temperature, like 175 or so degrees, as we were going out to grandson’s la crosse game(only 2 hours), and wanted dinner ready when we got home. Walked in the door. “What’s that smell?!!!” Our nice, well-prepared, well-thoughtout dinner was black and cooked into a hard square piece of onyx. Took me a week to clean the pan. I almost threw it away. Oh well. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

And @Emerald Eyes…Thank you both for the giggles! I used to love to cook for family, large parties, just for the fun of learning new techniques… I wonder if I will ever get back to it. In the long run, it doesn’t really matter. I still look at recipe books with pictures and think I will make something, then decide it is too much to think about and too much mess to clean up, and go get a cup of coffee.

2 Likes

@axnr911
what a terrible waste of macaroni cheese. Having to clean out that pan would make it all so much worse.
Life can be so cruel, but I’m sure you have put together many a well crafted dish since that time.
We strive to improve and a mistake is an opportunity to learn.
. . . but I prefer to eat what I’ve prepared.

:cook: :+1:

@DeAnn
You’ve got the right attitude. Good things do come along, when they are ready. No need to stress about it. Over time you will surprise yourself and achieve more than you now expect.

I have made small improvements over the year since it all first started. I came home bed and chair bound. Depressed and feeling pretty hopeless about my state. Nothing much happened in the first six months. Looking back on it I think I just needed rest. Over the next six months I managed to get up and move about, first using a rollator, then a walking stick and more recently by simply holding on to a door handle, table edge or something reasonably firm. I don’t get far but it is so much more than I would have dreamed possible a few months ago.

No one of us advances at the same rate, or within the same time span. We make our way individually following our own path, but it is worth realising that there is nothing stopping us from getting to what it is we are determined to achieve. Determination will get you there but the wisdom to realise there is a time to wait and to rest will also help to make the way clear.

There are many others here with you who also are finding their way. Together, I assure you, we will all prevail.

Keep on keepin’ on
:smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

@MinnieB i never noticed the cat. Now i can’t unsee it :black_cat::black_cat::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :joy:

I used have ole blac3 cast skillet itbs was ok on top oven

1 Like

Did anyone tell you could be Diabetic

1 Like

@msporshakimberly
I have one of those heavy cast iron skillets. It is great for pizza bases. Mine was made by Lodge. Fabricated in America I believe. They are fairly expensive here in the UK. I am an enthusiastic cook and also have a decent wok, which is a little heavy for me since the stroke. I hope eventually to regain some of the abilities that are out of my reach these days.

Doctors in Great Britain usually perform a test to screen for Type 2 Diabetes. If you are under a doctor here in the UK then the test is pretty routine. With our National Health service we all have access to this kind of service and care.

1 Like

I am thinking about getting two 2⃣ cast skittles

1 Like

My husband put a pizza in the oven upside down! There’s no point saying owt else to this level of dumass

5 Likes