The day I had a stroke

Been on here a while and not shared my story yet, so here goes!

June 13th 2023. It was a very hot day. As I was getting out of bed, I offered up a genuine prayer to God, asking Him to please do something so that I could stop working. Financially, it was necessary for me to work and although I was due to retire in December, I was struggling with the physical demands of my job.
I went to work that day as usual and was about to get a drink because I was feeling very dehydrated. But then I felt a weakness in the left shin and maybe a little lightheaded. I found myself hanging onto a door because I felt like I was going to fall. I managed to move to the bottom of a staircase where I sat on the stairs and closed my eyes for about 5mins, initially thinking it was just a funny turn because of the heat. I decided the moment had passed but soon after standing up, it happened again so I shouted out for someone to call an ambulance because I was pretty sure by then that I was having a stroke. I was hanging on to the bannister and let myself fall gently to the floor. I was laying face down with my left hand trapped beneath me but didnā€™t know this because it was numb and paralysed, as was the rest of the left side of my body. At one point, I must have moved my right arm because I remember touching my left hand and wondering what it was because it didnā€™t feel like it belonged to me.
The paramedics were there within 15min or so. I was told my lips were slightly drooping on the left side which wasnā€™t noticeable when I smiled. And some slight slurring of speech of which I was aware - it didnā€™t hang around too long. I remember feeling very, very peaceful and saying to the lady paramedic that maybe this was my time to go. I wasnā€™t afraid at all because I knew God would never do anything to harm me which helped a lot when I was being pumped full of drugs later on, and even after that when I knew I was going to need antihypertensives and who knew what else possibly forever (I have an aversion to pharmaceuticals!!). The fire brigade were called to lift me into the stairwell on a stretcher because there was a bend on the staircase and whilst waiting for them to arrive, I was laying on the floor texting a friend to get everyone praying for me. It was a 30min trip to the nearest hospital with a stroke unit where I was found to be in hypertensive crisis. The doc said what he was seeing wasnā€™t normal stroke behaviour because I was switching between paralysis and recovery (probably a clot that was moving around?). It actually happened 10 times!! I was quickly whisked off for a CT scan which revealed nothing so it was then a race to get my BP down enough to be thrombolysed. After that, I was moved to another part of the ward and the physio/OT started work on me straight away. Had me out of bed to see if I could touch my toes ( I could, just about, with them supporting me). My NIHSS score was 12/42 (moderate stroke) at that time. By the next morning, Iā€™d been paralysed continuously for about 12hours with no further episodes of recovery. A follow up CT scan confirmed Iā€™d had a right MCA stroke.
And I know this sounds really, really sad, but uppermost in my mind was absolute relief that I wouldnā€™t have to go back to work. No kidding.

7 Likes

I truly am sorry you have joined our group, at least for that reason. I laughed at your thought about not going to work. I get it, though. I would never have been able to retire, so I got retiredā€¦I loved my job but was tired a lot. I had already had a hemorraghic stoke that had stopped bleeding on itā€™s own. No idea how long I had it, so maybe explains the fatigue I was experiencing. Anyway, that really explains why I no longer care about trying to get back to work. But the funny thing is, I would not have gotten up to call in to work, on my day off, after sleeping through a 20 hour shift the day before (I was asleep for over 48 hours). If I had not called, my boss would not have told me to call a doctor. Depends on what day it is, if I am happy she prompted me, or mad at her. JK, kind of. Still donā€™t expect I will ever work again.

How have you been coping?

3 Likes

Thanx for sharing
:slight_smile:

What is the pattern of your days & outlook etc now?

What attraction are ahead on the current path?

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story. Thatā€™s probably not the way most of us would want to head into retirement.

Hope you are getting on ok now & able to enjoy your retirement as you would have wanted to.

Best wishes

Ann

3 Likes

@Trace57
Sometimes it is a great help to write it all down. It helps to put it all in order. This is a good place to do that.
Your experience shared can help another put their struggles and successes into perspective.
I think stroke is a long game, a long journey, so having a record helps pick out where you are and where you might go.
At first it isnā€™t clear where this leads but you will begin to put it all together.
You are not in any way alone, there are more than a million of us in the UK and another joins us about every 5 minutes.
This Forum is here for you and can help provide encouragement and support, a listening ear and somewhere to record what you see and how you see it.
Be kind. take care and donā€™t forget how to smile.

keep on keepinā€™ on
:writing_hand: :smile: :+1:

3 Likes

@DeAnn , @SimonInEdinburgh , @Mrs5K , @Bobbi
Thanks to all for replying to my post and apologies for the tardy response. I have to be in the mood to write - itā€™s not a new thing, I was like this pre-strokešŸ™ˆ
@DeAnn Well, we never know what life is going to throw at us, do wešŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø I have to ask - did it occur to you at the time that itā€™s not normal to sleep 48hours straight through, I mean, would you have called the doc if your boss hadnā€™t told you to? I canā€™t help wondering what would have happened to you if youā€™d had no need to call in to workā€¦ā€¦.Iā€™m guessing itā€™s on the bad days that you get mad at heršŸ¤”. Good that youā€™ve accepted you probably wonā€™t work again - one less thing to worry about.

Iā€™m coping ok. I feel physically worse now than I did when I first came home although Iā€™m functioning pretty well and generally improving. I donā€™t have what I would call ā€˜painā€™ but I do have uncomfortable sensations mostly in the stroke arm - numbness, tightness, a bit of burning now and then, nothing major, tingling (sometimes it rages in the hand, other times, itā€™s not too bad. Activity seems to calm it). Face and neck are also affected with tingling/numbness and it always feels like Iā€™m wearing my glasses even when Iā€™m not!!
I can use the stroke hand pretty much normally even though it doesnā€™t feel normal. I decided to ditch the walking stick 4 weeks ago because I felt it was hindering the stroke leg from becoming stronger. Some days I walk better than others, mostly when Iā€™m not tired.
I woke up 3 weeks ago and decided I was going to take my first post stroke drive into town, just to see if I could do it. Apart from having to take extra care with the stroke arm, I was fine and did it again the following week and went a bit further. That was in the automatic car that my husband drives. My car is manual and Iā€™ve yet to see how I get on with it. If Iā€™m feeling ok this weekend, I might give it a go. I think Iā€™ll probably be fine just doing short trips.
I do try to keep busy but also need short rests in between. Been taking advantage of the few sunny days weā€™ve had and been potting up and planting in the garden.
I also have days, and sometimes a run of days, where I feel apathetic and fed-up but I seem to remember that this used to happen pre stroke as well. It just seems worse because now Iā€™m disabled and feel generally rubbish physically so itā€™s harder and more tiring to find distractions. But hey-ho. As everyone keeps saying, this is a marathon, not a sprint. I keep telling myself, ā€˜It will get better, it will get better, it will get betterā€¦ā€¦ā€™ and one day, it just might!

5 Likes

None of that sounds unusual or surprising :slight_smile:

I guess with coming up to a year post then youā€™re beginning to worked through most acclimatizations. It certainly is true that itā€™s a new ā€œlearning curveā€ - I think those that accept that early on make more comfortable progressā€¦

Good luck in your journey

Caio
Simon

3 Likes