Tapering off SSRI

I know, I know, such a tough ride with this kind of medication. When I first began citalopram, the first six weeks were a living nightmare. 3 am and I was wide awake with startling anxiety, the likes I had never felt before. However, on the plus side, it worked a treat with my panic disorder, and a little silver lining is that a side-effect of SRRI medication is the regeneration of hippocampus cells. I felt this latter consequence of taking the medication to be nothing but beneficial for someone who was struggling with working memory because of the stroke shock or damage. This time around, I know when to batten down the hatches and I follow my progress on a tapering off calendar, so I can see the progression visually. I don’t have anything against SRRI meds per se, and I see them as being highly effective for specific needs. My panic attacks were a horrendous burden to me but I had managed them pretty well, it’s just that I couldn’t juggle them on top of stroke damage, unless the NHS were willing to provide me with a bungalow out the back of one of their hospitals.

3 Likes

come off my ssri no chance ! i have tried every couple of years with limited success, and had little or no i would go from 20mg a day down to 10 , im on escitalopram ,i started on citalopram up to 40mg and it stopped working so moved to escitalopram 20 mg and it works fine , as soon as i do anything to my dosage the Black Dog comes calling for me

3 Likes

So are your panic attacks much better?

I suffered with out-of-the-blue panic attacks for about 5-7 years. Now, the only thing that triggers them is certain social situations. I know what to avoid, most of the time. I never fully overcame them, though.

Please take good care of yourself.

3 Likes

Citalopram worked a treat to suppress panics, I could feel them rising but they never followed through. I am yet to see in what shape and form they arise once I have tapered off the medication. I have Lorazepam as a back up for bad panics but I want to address these panics again. I have had them since my mid-twenties, am now in my late forties. I tried CBT, hypnotherapy et cetera. My trigger is being inside my own head, it’s when I feel trapped in life itself. This is annoying because it isn’t something I can avoid. :tired_face:

3 Likes

I don’t know how I missed this conversation until now. I am so glad I have now read through it. I take an SNRI. I was thinking of going completely off of it, but I take a fairly low dose now. My Neurologist had suggested I up the dose from 60 to 90 mg, but I never did. I was thinking of going down to 30 mg, but some recent events tell me now I should probably stay where I am awhile longer. I still get some feelings of anxiety or depression, but they are much easier to overcome than without the Duloxitine. Maybe next year I will try going to 30 mg and see how it goes.

3 Likes

I relate to your panic attacks very much. I always felt alone.

Take good care.

3 Likes

Does anyone take anti acids? I need one especially with aspirin. I’ve been taken off lanorazole because it affect’s clopedogrel and given pantotazole. What is safe? What do you take? The internet says there is still a risk. Helen

1 Like

Oh!!!

I’m on clopi & Lanzarote (has my GP calls it) specifically to protect the stomach - and they’re both very very common so I’m surprised to hear you implied message of incompatibility

I found this

Caio
Simon

1 Like

Less but not completely. What do you think ‘?

I too take lansoprazole and am on clopidogrel. I don’t know how it affects clopidogrel but does help with my stomach.

The doctor said it was a problem. The internet too not the chemist said ok so I’m confused too

1 Like

Hi @Mollybenji

TL;DR
You’re probably better off at taking both and accepting that they interact and dosages were set accordingly.
/TL;DR

If your expecting an absolute & unequivocal answer then I can understand that the information available to you is not sufficient :frowning:

you will have to have a blood tests and a full analysis of everything you eat and breathe in and there interactions - which will still have varying results due to the natural changes in bodily functions as affected for example by the amount of sunlight, hormones, infections…

The information of generally availablity has multiple factors condensed into a simplistic description with a statistical likelihood that it broadly matches the most commonest cases. Within that generality I would say as an untrained ignorant and incompletely informed individual that there is an indication that some of our medications are tough on our stomachs and the lanzaprolo is beneficial. There is also suggestion that if we suffered a stroke due to a clot (ischaemic) then some sort of blood thinner or antiplatelet medication is also beneficial.

The two beneficial actions do impinge one on the other and thus the dosages need to be set at a level that optimises competing consequences. The same consideration occurs with challenges like mobile phone weight, screen size & brightness and battery life - optimisation of any one is only achievable by compromising the others.

It would seem empirically supported that a reasonable conclusion has been found to involve a combination of the stomach protector and the antiplatelet medication. How much of that is coloured by self-interest of drug companies who have biased GP and other pharmacological provider opinion’s is unclear to me and you.

Herbert Simon coined the phrase boundedly rational as the ‘explanation’ that decisions always need to be made on imperfect data

:slight_smile:

Caio
Simon

5 Likes

I’d come off and take something less risky

2 Likes

I feel a little update is needed on my tapering journey. It’s now, half way through week three of no SRRI. I had tapered down to 5mg, and then spent two weeks taking it on consecutive days. Over the last few days I have felt quite uplifted even with my present condition being what it may, but before that, for the past two weeks of not taking Citalopram I felt bleak. Apparently, it’s one of the easier SRRI meds to come off, because it has quite a long half life. I endured. There were one or two days I almost convinced myself to get back on it again. I wasn’t taking this medication for depression or general anxiety, I took it, specifically, for panic attacks. However, if I didn’t quite know what proper depression felt like, I certainly have had a taste of it now. I have a friend who has it acutely, and I described my feelings to him and he said, yes, that’s how I feel, and that’s why he is on Prozac. To give a sample of mood, I spent quite some time in bed with the curtains closed. I’m not talking a few hours, I am talking a few days. I went without food, maybe an apple a day (I know, I know) for about three days. By that point, I had to force myself to eat something, and with the help of a pint of stout, I managed down some soup. The whole idea of digestion was even too much for my mood to bear, everything was too much effort to even think about, so much so, that had I had been born with the same feeling, I would have turned to my parents and, in my best attempt at an advanced level of communication, said to them, sarcastically, ‘Thanks, thanks a lot …’ However, the night before last, something snapped in my head and I suddenly felt lighter. As if a weight had been lifted, a burden dislodged. My mood had shifted, dramatically, and it was an empirical shift. My symptoms that night weren’t anything to be comfortable with, this recent paraesthesia that shoots across my body, it’s not pleasant, but I even felt good about that. I felt, genuinely, relieved. I don’t want to speak too soon, because they do say it might take four to six weeks for everything to settle properly, but I will check in after that time and write a final memorandum and close the thread so others on this journey, or proposing to embark on the same can have a reference to my experience, and maybe it will help with theirs.

2 Likes

I know the experience you mention from pre stroke days.
Two things broke it for me. Someone else in the family had an operation and focussing on that helped me stop focussing on me.
The second was being out in nature. Couldn’t take it in to start with, not bothered, didn’t really grip me but after a while it did.
That feeling of having a huge weight on your shoulders and then it lifting, as if by magic, light as a feather.
It’s too easy to focus just on how you are feeling being stuck in bed.
Good luck

3 Likes

@Rups Well done on tapering off your SSRI.
That’s a massive thing to do & certainly not easy. Sounds like you have turned a big corner & glad you’ve found a way through the depression without going back on the meds.

Hope it continues to go ok for the next few weeks.

Best wishes

Ann x

2 Likes

That is such good news and so uplifting, it always gets to me emotionally when reading this kind of progress. Just enjoy each day as it comes whilst it all sorts itself out. And I hope it continues to improve long into the future :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :people_hugging:

3 Likes