Suspected tia

Hi every one
On Monday I was diagnosed with a suspected tia in a and e
I was sent home with aspirin
And am due to see a tia clinic but keep getting the appointments cancelled
Should I go to work as I’ve been told not to drive
I’m also self employed so if I don’t work I don’t get paid is there any financial help out there or benefits I can claim
I keep coming to dead ends and feel lost

2 Likes

Hi @Scaredandalone1

Your not so alone now :slight_smile: welcome but sorry you’re here

The Welcome - what we wish we'd heard at the start will explain some of the situation

Having had a suspect neuro event your insurance will be invalidated & any accidents have the threat of being prosecuted by the police.

I guess as a self-employed person you didn’t take key man insurance? There is a post Extra help and concessions that might reveal something on benefits

The citizens advice would be a good place to seek information citizens advice

so is the stroke association Stroke Assoc’tn :iphone: 03033033100 / :incoming_envelope: helpline@stroke.org.uk

Ciao
Simon

3 Likes

@Scaredandalone1 hi & wrlcome to the forum. Sorry you’ve had cause to join us but we’ll help as much as we can.

Really hope you get to the TIA clinic soon so you can get some answers as to what’s gone on.

In relation to work only you can decide basefd on how you feel. I ùnderstand the self employed bit as my hubby is self employed & when i had my stroke & he had to look after me his income stopped. You do find a way through though. As Simon mentions the Citizen’s Advice is the place to get advice on what you might be entitled to. You could be entitled to statutory sick pay for example but they will know more.

I had a suspected TIA just before Christmas & i continued to work but ended up having to take time off. I was absolutely exhausted. Perhaps you could work part time for a few weeks to see how you get on?

Best wishes

Ann

2 Likes

Hi @Scaredandalone1 just wanted to welcome you to the forum. Not the place any of us would choose to be but at least you are not alone here are there is wealth of help and advice to be found.

It’s very early days for you, your recovery will take 4-6mths and then some depending on the extent of damage to your brain. Now I know this is easier said than done, but try to relax into this, go with the flow your brain permits. Doing too much too soon can be just as harmful as not doing enough. And you are going to find progress, recovery, is 2 steps forward and 1 step back, with a few scares along the way while you establish what is “normal” and what needs to be medically addressed. Strokes should really come with an instruction manual :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

In the meantime get plenty of rest and good nutritional food with plenty of protein and build up the exercise gradually. See you around on the forum, take care :people_hugging:

2 Likes