Sudden onset of sore arm and top of back

Hi it’s me again. I hope you are all ok and doing well. About 2 weeks ago the back of my unaffected arm and top of my back suddenly felt sore to the touch. There is no rash to be seen and I havnt used any new products. Has anyone else developed anything like this? I’m hoping it will go as suddenly as it came but thought I’d ask first before I trouble the doctor . Thanks Suzywong.

2 Likes

Hi
Is it your skins suddenly got more sensitive or pains in the muscles? How far post stroke are you?

I think somebody with central stroke pain might be a better people to describe one of the possibilities that seems to come on about 4 months post stroke otherwise the old topic is statins sometimes cause a tingling or pins and needles .

Deeper pains like muscles and nerves can come from using the unaffected side more than it’s been used to and it starts to complain that it’s taking an unreasonable burden.

As you say a new thing happens without warning out to the blue, that seems to be the way of it with post stroke life probably pre-stroke life I’m just having difficult remembering that !

Ciao Simon

1 Like

@Suzywong
Could well be a side effect of a medication or combination of medications. A side effect does not necessarily show up when you start with a given drug.
I was prescribed something that caused fluid retention and swelling but nothing happened until a couple of months after I had started taking it.

When I stopped taking the medication the swelling subsided. The doctor prescribed something with a different name but the same active constituents, the swelling returned. I refused to take that drug and unwillingly the doctor prescribed something different. I now have no swelling.

Of course this might not be the cause of your problem, but it is worth looking into. I discovered the cause of my symptoms by taking a couple of days off from each medication in turn. I didn’t feel that such a short period of time would cause harm, but that was my decision.

The doctor might have warned against such action. I am not a medical authority and cannot speak with authority, I only have personal experience to go by.

3 Likes

Doesn’t have to be stroke related though as it’s your unaffected arm.
Could be a pinched nerve, postural or disk issue; you’ve moved or sat/slept in a funny position. It may take a couple days to recover, maybe try some heat and ice therapy on you shoulder/base of neck…always end with heat. And some painkillers.

If it doesn’t right itself in a couple days, see your gp or physio

2 Likes

Thanks . I might just try that or at least ask dr if it could be meds that are causing it. Love suzywong

2 Likes

Thanks Bobbi I think it may be something to do wx my statins. I’ll chat wx dr about it x

3 Likes

Thanks Simon, I’m nearly 7 months since my stroke but it’s really sore to the touch, I’ll give dr a ring and see if he can put me on some other statins and see if that cures it.x

3 Likes

definitely the non-stroke arm is under severe additional strain ; something to consider

2 Likes

Bobbi, that’s a good “unofficial” method to identify the offending medication

2 Likes

I now have bad trigger finger in my left hand cuz it’s complaining about the amount that has to do now when in the past it was the companion.

Problem is that having that cured is a minorop but with no right hand to share the burden I’d be completely incapacitated with the loss of my left hand for the two or three weeks it would be completely out of commission and several months it would be on reduced duties :frowning:

2 Likes

I have dupytrens syndrome in my bad right hand where the tendons shorten so that isn’t helping. But like you it can only be operated on and I can’t manage wxout it. It’s Hobson choice really isn’t it? Luv sue x

1 Like

I thought it might be something to do wx that as. I use my left hand and arm so much more than I used to . I’ll bear that in mind pando x

1 Like

If you’re favouring you’re able arm that’s understandable
But
if you use it to the exclusion of using your affected arm and hand, out of habit every time then you’re doing yourself a grave disservice

Your post stroke recovery depends in pushing learnt non-use into the background

1 Like

If you have not found an answer, I have one more thought for you. Although sore to the touch probably rules this out. I have beautiful typing posture, and cat walk posture, both having to do with having them drilled into me for typing and cotillion training. However, when using a mouse, I have a tendency to lean forward on an elbow and slouch, then wonder why my neck, shoulder or back hurt. And another time I went to the doctor over a sore shoulder and hip only to find it was from carrying a heavy diaper bag and big baby around, resting her on my hip, but holding with one arm. Symptoms…no idea how a doctor comes up with a correct diagnosis…no wonder it takes so long to get the answers to some ailments. So many common symptoms for different issues.

2 Likes

Hi Deann thanks for your thoughts. It’s still sore so I’m giving it a while before I bother my doctor. Love sue x

3 Likes

A sports physio may be a better bet, failing that, do you have a physio at your surgery you could make an appointment with?

2 Likes