Stroke, menopause, Diabetes all battling each other

Hi everyone, my name is Sarah and I suffered a left VA dissection causing a left cerebellar infarct in Oct 22 at the age of 44. I was initially admitted to hospital with DKA which was triggered due to the sickness i suffered with my stroke, i didn’t know i was having a stroke at the time as i had no other side effects. I have been lucky that i have no physical issues i am suffering cognitively, Fatigue and vestibular compensation. They all come and go, they are all debilitating. I have been diagnosed since with Fibromyalgia, i have been battling Menopause for a few years and Diabetes too. There’s a lot going on, some days i do not know if i am coming or going its hard and exhausting, its all starting to get on-top of me now. Friends and Family struggle to understand as there are is nothing visibly wrong, i now always answer that i am ok if asked as i am fed up with going over everything. I really thought my recovery would have been quicker than this :frowning:

How does everyone cope if your suffering with more than one issue? The NHS have been wonderful, they don’t seem to join up though, I am fighting to be heard by each team.

4 Likes

@Strawbz Hi & welcome to the forum. Sorry you’ve had cause to join us but you’re very welcome here & hopefully you’ll fund us a friendly bunch.

You sure seem to have a lot going on & you are right that the NHS don’t seem very joined up.

I have a few different conditions that i am dealing with and do find it exhausting having to deal with all the different medical professionals although I am very grateful they are there. I do get fed up of telling them all my medical history as it must be on their records but I guess they need to hear it from us.

I just try & deal with the issue that is bothering the most at that particular time or the one that I have an appointment for.

In relation to your stroke recovery this often takes longer than you expect and fatigue is very common and affects many of us for a long time. We learn to manage it. It is difficult sometimes to tell which condition is the one causing the issues. As an example I have 3 conditions that all have fatigue as a symptom / side effect so I am never sure which one is responsible but suspect it may be a combination of all of them.

I’ve probably rambled enough now.

Best wishes.

Ann

3 Likes

Hello @Strawbz
Welcome to the forum. We’ve been putting together the sort of stuff we often say to new community members, just click on the blue text to read

You’re right about the various NHS services even within stroke are not at all joined up.
As others have found that we not only need to research our condition we need to be the director of the program of care that we need and use this community and it’s wider knowledge to benchmark our care

Good luck on your journey
Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

Hello @Strawbz. As a fellow stroke survivor and someone also negotiating the menopause as well as other health issues I just want to say I get it. Some days feel like “really- I need to deal with this as well”. But we do because we have to. You are very young - there are barriers to HRT for stroke survivors but discuss it with your GP, although be warned, there is likely to be a referral and a lengthy wait, and if like me, I decided to cut my losses thinking I’d probably already been through the worst of it (I am older at 52). Good luck, Julia

2 Likes

Hi @Strawbz welcome to the forum :smile: I’ve been thinking about your post a lot since you posted it but had no answer. I never know how to answer the “how does everyone cope” question but my knee-jerk reaction is always “I don’t know, I just do” when I read them. Though that’s not normally what I actually type :wink:
But my “autopilot” is my best friend for such occasions as too many appointments/issues/whatever to cope with. I just shove them all in the overhead lockers, shut down feelings and emotions, switch on autopilot and just go.

Stop battling them and start managing them perhaps. Your post sounds full of battle weary fatigue. I’m type 2 diabetic diagnosed about 15yrs ago, at that time I was also diagnosed with high blood pressure and “borderline” menopausal whatever that’s supposed to mean, it was all an “age” thing :roll_eyes: I hadn’t even realised I had any “symptoms” for any of them until several weeks after I’d started taking medications for them and managing my diet and exercise a little more. I’d changed for the better and I wanted to keep it that way.
No more irritability, anger or rage, no more worry, sadness or depression/blue moments…at least nothing that’s unexplainable and out of the blue. These were all emotions I had to hide because there was absolutely no rhyme nor reason behind them, they would just happen…and I’m used to that with pmt :smirk: They could come right out of the blue without the pmt and go again; but I’m a quiet person by nature so there was no way I was going to let those emotions fly without very good reason.

I suppose they were all symptoms of uncontrolled blood pressure, blood sugar and my “borderline” menopause. Because once I was correctly medicated all those negative, irrational emotions went away. The day I realised they were gone I cried happy tears for about an hour and my poor hubby just didn’t know what to do with me. But it was all good, so I don’t get lax with my medications, diet and exercise for that reason, I don’t want to go back on that over emotional rollercoaster.

I exercise a lot and I noticed changes in my blood sugar readings a year ago, as a result had my diabetes medication reduced.
I noticed I was starting to experience random unexplainable worry and irritability a few months back so I monitored my blood pressure 4 times a day for a week and sure enough it had gone up. When I saw my doctor, he increased my BP tablets and I’m back to normal again.
Both these condition can also bring on hot flush similar to menopause so that’s another sign I watch out for with the above.

I’m 2½yrs post stroke. Fatigue ended for me sometime in that first year. Coincidentally or not it was around the time my doctor put me on folic acid because it was very low. I do still occasional bouts fatigue, I just call them my nothing days, those kind of days I can barely read posts on here. That’s not so fatigue, not tired, exhausted or drained as such, it’s just my brain just stubbornly refuses. But at least I can provide entertainment for my family when I start trying to argue with myself :rofl: I’m 61yr old semi retired housewife who just flat out refuses to let such things bother me anymore. I just go with the floe and keep my favourite autopilot handy :wink:

You on the other hand have a more vicious cycle to contend with pain…and that will have a knock on effect to your BP and becomes a viscous cycle particularly with moods. You may also benefit some from a nutrient boost perhaps; they are in high depend with your stroke recovery so you might benefit from it.

Keep on top of all medications and never forget to take them when you should; set them in a handy place, in a pill sorter if need be.
Keep all medical notes/letters/literature in one folder and divided into departments. Keep that somewhere handy for convenient access…forget aesthetics and keep it on your kitchen table if needs be :wink:
Keep all appointments in a calendar/diary be it on a wall or in your phone.
Stick a note on your fridge to check it daily…first thing every morning preferably.
Set phone alarms for appointments if you can so you don’t forget any.
Keeping all these things in order are another coping mechanism.

On days you have NHS appointments, maybe don’t plan for anything else while you are out because that can be draining. Just go to appointments, come home and put any medical notes in order in your file while you have a cup of tea/coffee. And then have a snooze for an hour or watch tv…nothing physical.
While your still in your first year of recovery, just the whole process of going, attending and coming home an appointment, all that entails, can be very taxing on the brain, it’s input/output is in high demand and draining to healing mind.
You only take one day at a time, your brain is not ready to juggle much more.

EDIT: Ok, sorry, I know I was writing a lot, just didn’t expect it to be this much, just bin it if it’s too much :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes