Stroke hit just before Christmas

Hi everyone I’m new here and it’s my first post. My stroke hit on 19/12 and was in hospital for 2 weeks. It was a hard time and still is since but my right and leg working now.

2 Likes

@garethc970 Hi & welcome to the community. Sorry to hear you’ve had a stroke. Good to hear of your progress so far though. It’s early days in recovery terms so you should be very pleased with how you are doing.

Watch out for fatigue as that can hit if you overdo it. It’s very important in the early days to get a balance between exercise & rest. The first 6 months is where your brain does the most / quickest recovering then it tends to slow a bit but will continue.

Ask any questions you may have on here. We’re not medically trained but we do have a lotvof lived experience.

Best wishes

Ann

1 Like

Hi and a big welcome to this forum. We are a merry band of stroke survivors, always there to offer information and advice when you need it.

Sounds like you are making a good recovery. Keep up the good work and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards Sue

2 Likes

I’ll add my welcome to @garethc970
You might find the info collected into the Welcome - what we wish we'd heard at the start useful too :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon

1 Like

Hi and welcome @garethc970. Glad you’ve made some progress in your recovery.

Steve

2 Likes

Got a start made to only be in 2 weeks and out and walking but the speech is really getting me down

2 Likes

Sorry to hear you are suffering, but honestly you couldn’t have found a better group than this. Everyone is so helpful and welcoming but most of all can relate to how you feel in one way or another.
Good luck on your journey. Sam :blush: x

2 Likes

Hi @garethc970 welcome to the forum. So good to hear you are recovering so well. Don’t worry about the speech that will come on in the weeks to come, it’s just very early days yet. But you can always make a start in encouraging it along by reading short passages out loud each day. Closet yourself away in the bedroom if you don’t feel comfortable with anyone in ear shot. It’s what I would do during the lockdowns, and it really did help :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Do you get chance to practice speaking in an understanding place?

There are online aphasia groups.
https://aphasiasupport.org/

You may even be lucky enough to live near a face to face one - there is even an aphasia choir in Bath!

You welcome to come to today’s zoom - it isn’t specifically aphasia but it’s fellow strokis

From 1pm on https://bit.ly/StrokeThuCafes

Simon

1 Like

@SimonInEdinburgh only to my family and doctors and stuff. I am too scared and aware of how I sound to others and I get scared (had anxiety before anyhow)

2 Likes

Then you should come along to the zoom because while we don’t all have aphasia - in fact I don’t think there’s anybody at the moment who’s a regular who’s got it badly (I have some word finding difficulties) We certainly know that different folk have a wider variety of post stroke challenges

Especially anxiety, lack of confidence… All the stuff that is cognitive and emotional and doesn’t show

You’ll definitely find everybody who comes aware of aphasia and accepting of stroke’s many different manifestations of challenges .

If not this week there’s always next week :slight_smile:
Ciao
Simon

1 Like

@SimonInEdinburgh when is it and where do I get the zoom call link?

1 Like

It’s from 1pm today
The link is
https://bit.ly/StrokeThuCafes

That’s the link you used just before 12:00 :slight_smile: Just do exactly the same nearer to 1:00 :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @garethc970
It was good to see you today :slight_smile:

If you would like to do a one-to-one call sometime I’m happy to set that up :slight_smile:

Also I’m happy to set a breakout room next week and we’ll get one or two people so that there isn’t a hub-bub of a dozen folk

Ciao
Simon

1 Like

@SimonInEdinburgh that would be amazing and probably huge benefit

1 Like

Ok
I can do tomorrow morning or Monday pm & most of Tuesday and …

1 Like

I’ll let you know asap but probably Monday or Tuesday

1 Like

No rush
I’m not that busy on wed. either

1 Like

Hi @garethc970 welcome!
Im sure speach will get better over time. It took a while for mine to come back but others above had said, reading outload help alot. My catchphrase was ( and still is) repeat, repeat, repeat. The more you practice the more ityour brain learns again

4 Likes

@Chrisfw I know it will and it is understandable for the most part. I just need to get that last bit as my job is on the phone as a manager in a call centre

2 Likes