Stair Lift Advice

I was wondering if anyone has rented a stair lift and how much did it cost? My mum’s local housing authority say there is an 18 month waiting list to get one and that is going through them and the local council. We can’t afford to buy one and can’t wait 18 months. She has a small living room downstairs and I have had to move a lot of furniture upstairs to fit two single beds in for us both. She has a downstairs toilet but the bath and shower are upstairs. We are in the UK. I would be very grateful for any advice.

2 Likes

Just done a quick Google and found this which you may find useful: Renting a Stairlift | Cost of a Stairlift to Rent

1 Like

They seem to advise rental for short term not long term, thank you though.

I’m not 100% sure but I think you can buy 2nd hand ones…guess thats refurbed or similar. It might be cheaper than 18 mths hire?

We bought a reconditioned one when I left hospital and it’s been a godsend. I’m a long way off climbing a flight of stairs and no way did we want a bed downstairs. We used a local firm who were brilliant and bought rather than rented as we are both getting older and don’t want to move in the future. Good luck

@Apple reconditioned…that’s the word I was trying to think of but couldn’t find it. Thank you :grin::grin:

1 Like

@Lanza1 have you tried Mediquip or mobility charities, social care can get involved harass them and the council, that’s what I did

Thank you so much for the reply could you tell me how much it cost you to get you to get a reconditioned stairlift and fitting it, also was it a straight stair.

Thank you so much for the reply.

Thank you for the reply.

1 Like

Lanza1. You had better sit down before you read this! Stairlift was on a straight staircase and cost £1800. As far as I am concerned it was worth every penny. We decided to put one in as a few years ago my husband broke his leg so had to sleep downstairs and we realised then that stairs could be a problem in the future. Enquired about a stair lift then but as my husband recovered we put it to the back of our minds until my stroke! So we bit the bullet and it’s been a Godsend. Hope you get sorted

1 Like

Thank you letting me know, I will make some inquiries.