Spasticity in Hand

Hello wonderful people,

While I don’t suffer from spasticity in my hand, I wondered if anyone would benefit from the following video clip ?

What I’m struggling with is paraesthesia (paresthesia) in my foot (every other day). There is no advice I can find on this. If anyone has any tips on how to alleviate this condition, please do speak up!

Ciao, Roland

4 Likes

Very interesting, Thank you for sharing

Regards Sue

1 Like

@pando Thanks Roland. I’ve seen this one and it is very informative.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

I agree with everything this gent says, but I am not a fan of the Saebostretch. I bought one (at great expense) and found that when my hand clenched during the night, it couldn’t stretch back out because the elasticated bands around the fingers held them in the clenched position and that was agony! I have a thermoplastic resting splint (made by the local hospital physio) for the night time clenching and that is a real help.
Spasticity in the hand for me, can only be controlled if spasticity in the bicep is controlled as well and that is a whole other set of stretches/relaxation exercises. (If I did all the exercises & stretches I’ve been given over the years I’d never leave the house!)

2 Likes

Hi
I watched the video. I have watched several others and the UK clinical director for saebo Amy has recorded a number of videos too - They are primarily on FES see https://youtube.com/@SaeboUK?si=-gFBNxH9a6OWFkxo

I think our walking analogies of a mile then a mile and half atany old raggedy way alongside 200 yards of graceful heel placement and knee swing applies to the hand as well .

None of the exercises in the videos will restore functional use. BUT the acquisition of functional use is IMpossible without the movement the exercises aim to make possible.

In other words the clinicians explanations are a mandatory subset but not the whole story. They are SILENT about other vital elements .

The stretching exercises here help to provide flexibility that enables range. The muscles need to be working to have the strength required to deliver that range. The brain has to be connected to have the control to switch muscles on and off .

The saebo stretch might help with the range. Although I think it does NOT Do an effective job and is expensive. the most useful splint I have was about 8£ on Amazon, It’s completely flat, I cut the wrist support off and I wear it overnight where in the morning my hand is completely extended and relaxed with the wrist in neutral - still can’t get the rest extended and the fingers flat but I think this is muscle control

I also have the sabo glove (saeboflex?) with elastic bands - another expensive and close to useless ‘aid’.

For getting the muscles going I do have a saebo stim (FES) but I fell out of the habit of using it because I didn’t understand its position in my recovery regime. I was never given a holistic picture - I do now have a more complete understanding and I really ought to put it back into my regime.

The summary is there’s a lot of people giving out advise that isn’t the solution, isn’t wrong but doesn’t do the job

And then there is CIMT but that’s another chapter…

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

Look around on youtube for videos on relieving sciatic nerve tension because that’s probably what’s causing it.
That’s basically what I was working on for my drop foot.
Find the sciatic pressure point at the base of base of your spine/hip and apply some deep massage there.

2 Likes

Hi Emerald,

Sciatic nerve, but the paresthesia is in my foot?
I’m not refuting that, so I’ll look into it, & thanks for the suggestion…

ciao, Roland

1 Like

The sciatic nerves travel all the way down the leg and into the foot.

So your posture post stroke is basically skewed, isn’t it. Hip/knee/ankle/foot issues often stem from the lower back and muscle tightness across the hip.

Edit:
And I’m getting good at keeping my answers short now :sweat_smile:
Maybe a bit too short and blunt now . . . one day I’ll find a happy medium :laughing:

2 Likes

Thanks Emerald @EmeraldEyes
I see the peroneal nerve is very relevant… thx so much for the lead

2 Likes

A good osteopath could probably help with that if you know one :wink:
Mine managed to postpone my hip replacement by about 10yrs.
So it might be worth a try Roland :smile:

In the meantime, you could try rolling your foot side to side while standing upright, just to see if that’s enough to release a pinched nerve somewhere along that sciatica path. You’d need to do it about 30 reps and it would take a couple days to notice if it achieved anything.

2 Likes

Thanks Emerald,

of course the sciatic nerve runs the length of the body. So an off-shoot is the peroneal nerve which accesses the tibialis anterior muscle (responsible for foot drop). That’s the muscle that is misbehaving and running hot (literally). I ran my E-stim EMS machine connecting it along the length of the tib anterior and it cooled it down. This morning it’s on standby like a shark circling its prey waiting to attack. I used Copaiba to keep it from striking.

No more 1.1 km walks with paresthesia. Must listen to my body carefully and read the signs. Now I will tread (literally) carefully. I think I am in a delicate phase of nerve + muscle + sensory receptors all coming online and registering correctly/incorrectly in the brain. Thanks for your help with identifying the offending nerve. I have a strategy to appease my paresthesia, now. I wish I had researched this earlier, but at least I’m getting somewhere …

ciao, Roland

ps. hopefully your foot drop is holding up, and your tibialis anterior is strong and healthy

2 Likes

Well my peroneal is now holding true and steady, no foot drop and no tendency for the ankle to want to turn. That was my main concern for getting the foot drop sorted. So I’m very happy to be in my 5th week now. There is still the ghost of it loitering in. Its like a little reminder to keep up with my exercises. So I’m off to pilates in half an hour :smile:

2 Likes