Some downtime

Hello Mrs 5k
Might be worth a chat with the doc re your meds. Are they doing the job for you? mine got changed in hospital after my stroke. Since seizures I take meds for that. Were you driving to work? Did you work all day when you were there? I’m looking to go P/T too.
Oh, being stubborn is good for progress. Just plan the progress into a more efficient process. That’s what I do every day now, down to next cup of coffee and toilet breaks.

2 Likes

@mikey903 thank you for your reply. I’ve been through meds etc with the dr & had more blood tests than you can imagine and they show no deficiencies. She’s put it down to post stroke & TIA fatigue.

Since returning to work i’ve been working from home with many adjustments in place & never made it back to full time. I had made good progress then the TIA knocked me sideways again. I’ve got there before so will dig out my notes & start again. Planning, prepping & pacing…it’s fun isnt it :woozy_face:

3 Likes

Hi. Hope you enjoyed your extra 2 hours in bed this morning and have had a relaxing day!!! No housework, shopping, washing etc etc!!!

2 Likes

@Apple The extra time in bed was great thank you. I did a little ironing then nothing…still feel yuck. More resting tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi Ann, I’m sorry to hear you’re not too good at the moment. Fatigue is terrible and to be working as well, I don’t think I could have done it. I’m glad you’ve got a couple of weeks off work you may need to have more than that but I’m sure your doctor will happily give you more time off. So try keeping active and do things you enjoy but remember to put your feet up and relax your brain as well as your body. Stay well.
Ann

3 Likes

@mum2two thank you. It’s been tough the last few weeks and i’m definitely ready for the time off. I’m hoping 2 weeks will be enough but my GP said she was happy to sign me off longer if I needed it. Part of me wishes I didn’t have to worry about work but another part of me enjoys the interaction etc at work…although that can be exhausting in itself.

Hope you’re doing ok.

Take care.

Ann

2 Likes

Working from home, how were you managing to switch off at the end of the day? My hubby says the one thing he’s actually missing the, with working from, is the travelling home. It was a useful time to start shutting down mentally from work, to decompress, before getting home. Now I have to shove him out the door to walk it off instead :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

When I used to commute on the train from Chelmsford to the city for 50 minutes morning and evening was the period of my life when I consumed the most reading. I also walked the most to and from the two stations at either end so I used to walk about 3 miles a day and I used to read for nearly 2 hours a day

Nostalgia :slight_smile:

1 Like

@EmeraldEyes i’ve been finding it quite easy to switch off from work. Think my my stroke brain just can’t cope with too much so it shuts itself down :rofl: i am lucky to have a room dedicated as an office so at the end of each day i clear away & shut the door on it all & don’t return till start of next day. Previously i used to go for a run. Was quite therapeutic.

I get the commute thing though as I used to use the commute as a way of winding down & switching off. My commute now though (if i go into the office) is only 10 mins not enough time to wind down :grin:

@SimonInEdinburgh when i worked in London i used to used the hr commute to read too. Got through tonnes of books. Never did as much wslking though as bus stop was at front door & office door :rofl:

2 Likes

Hi Ktrean. I too am exhausted just existing. I have said that several times recently. I can’t understand how I get so tired doing not a lot. I love meeting friends etc but afterwards all I want to do is sleep. So frustrating

5 Likes

I guess its fatigue, it is very frustrating. As others have said on here stroke is the gift that keeps on giving. I hope things improve for you soon x

4 Likes

Sooo sorry to hear that, and hope you are taking care of yourself and just not overdoing anything … I am around 18 months since I had all the TIAs and brain bleeds … and I still feel tired a lot of the time and don’t have much energy … I have not reached the stage where if I don’t feel up to doing much I just say “stuff it, I will do it later” … can I send you some distant reiki healing ?? Xx
Val …

4 Likes

Thank you Val @Ismeval i’m definitely resting more this week & feel a bit better for it. Like you I feel tired most of the time & i only do what i can…which hasn’t been much around work as thats exhausting in itself.
Yes please to the distant reiki healing. That’s very kind of you.
Best wishes

Ann xx

2 Likes

So sorry to hear the news @Mrs5K . Rest up for as long as you need. Hope you start feeling better soon.

4 Likes

Ann
How are you doing now your 2 weeks in?

1 Like

Hi Simon, i’m better than I was thank you. I’m due to go back to work Fri so will see how I get on. At least I have the weekend to rest afterwards.

Hope you feel better soon.

2 Likes

Thanx

Yesterday was awful but today was manageable. Even managed to get into the garden.

Good luck Friday

1 Like

Hopefully the next couple of days will see you back to normal.

2 Likes

A little update…

The 2 weeks I took off sick gave me the much needed opportunity to rest & recuperate after my TIA. It also gave me an opportunity to think about what I was going to do, work wise, going forward.

It has been going ok since I went back but a few short weeks later I’ve been struggling with fatigue again and was definitely ready for my Easter leave.

Last week i submitted a part time working request which has been approved. It is absolutely the right thing for me but I was surprised by how upset I was when it was approved. I guess that’s because it’s not really my choice more a necessity. The TIA made me rethink everything. It’ll be a struggle financially but I’m sure I’ll adjust soon enough.

I’m hoping my part time hours, which start at end of April, will give me a bit of time to focus on improving my walking which isn’t where i’d like it to be…the downside of a desk based job :slightly_smiling_face:

Onwards & upwards we go…better things are around the corner.

2 Likes

The financial aspect is rough, but we find a way of muddling through. I do some short surveys and paid research from time to time for small amounts of extra money, and have planted excess garden, hoping to sell a few plants, or vegetables next month, through harvest season. Planning on selling a few items at a time in online yard sales to help out. These are things I can do when I have energy, skip when I don’t. Bartering for things also can be helpful. Say I will fix you a batch of brownies, if you will give me a ride to the store? I would rather do those things without expectation of a return, but at least feel better about asking when I can give something in return.

You are way too important to overwork at the expense of yourself. Best wishes!

2 Likes