Some days are diamonds, some days are stone

Hi I'm Tony,

I'm 55, (had my birthday last week) just a standard sort of old fat bloke, the sort of bloke who cloggs up the shopping centres on a Saturday.

However a week last Sunday I was walking out of a Church Hall, when someone flipped a switch and my left leg and arm stopped working; I had a TIA.

I didn't know it at the time, all I knew was that one moment I was strolling along and next moment I was on the floor. Luckily there was a big fella following me and he caught me on the way down (never knew I would be so happy to be in a man's arms).

He was a real champ, he had been on a first aid course at work. He did everything, phoned for an ambulance, calmed by wife and 11 year old son down and organised help from the Church Hall.

So before I knew it I was in hospital being pumped full of drugs and having my head stuffed into all sorts of medical microwaves. The upshot of all that was being told that I'd a TIA.

A week then followed of tests and medical fiddling about in till they let me go last Friday.

So here I am off work, scared over the future (or lack of it). Trying to deal with fatigue and problems with concentration.

Hoping today will be a diamond and not a stone...



Hi Tony. Firstly, a TIA is not a full stroke, despite being a horrible experience. Some of the after effects are similar, however, especially fatigue. Fear is inevitable, but please see this as a wake up call. I am two and a half years on from a full stroke and have changed my life accordingly.....less booze, more exercise and a healthier diet. 

Clearly, you have a wife and son who love you and need you. Hopefully, you will make a full recovery and are on the medication necessary to prevent a further episode. You are alive, that is the main thing. Good luck to you.

Hi Tony Welcome aboard!! 

I had my stroke just over a year ago and have just returned to work just for 5 hours a week.  The first bit of advice is don't rush things, every persons stroke is different, listen to your body.  Second bit contact your local Stroke Association you can ring the main line and they will be able to put you in touch with them and you will get a coordinator who will help you with anything and everything forms etc, my lady was amazing helped me fill our PIP & ESA & Blue badge, came with me for assessments, put me on course with other stroke victims and lots more.  Third bit The fatigue you will feel is nothing like being tired.  I discribe it as a wave going out to sea from the beach and taking every bit of energy with it.  

There are lots of people on this site who will be happy to help with anything we can, or just listen if you want to have a moan or say well done when you achieve.  You will probably feel very angry about whats happened and you will be a bit short tempered, so warn your wife and son.  My poor husband has put up with so much.

Any way wishing you all the best with your journey forward.  



Tony, here's my experience of a TIA, if it is of any help:


Hi John,

Thanks for the reply, I'm more than happy it was just a TIA, having seen the folks in the stroke ward.

The wife  has already made the changes to my lifestyle,(with no allowance for cheating, or she will kill me herself!)

I can't shake the fear or the fatigue, but maybe in time they will go.

It's just one day at a time, at the moment..

I hope you are well.



The fear fades, but is likely to be around underneath.i still have fatigue every day, but am used to it. I find it hard to describe to other people. Mine comes on every day from 11am. It is like being in a bit of a mental fog. I just don’t feel alert or ‘with it’. I get into bed about 1pm and rest with my eyes closed for an hour, sometimes nodding off. I can stay awake if I have to, but find it best to listen to my body and rest. I think you will find a change in diet will really help. I follow the pattern...meat, vegetarian, fish. I have cut out most red meat and all fast food. I drink alcohol in moderation and have two booze free days. You’ll be out jogging before you know it!

Hi John, I have the fear and panic every morning when I wake up and it can be really frightening. I take antidepressants at night which help me to sleep well but the panic I get in a morning is horrendous. I think it’s to do with the part of the brain that is damaged, in my case I had a lacuna infarct in the left basal ganglia. Its my short term memory that’s effected which is why I wake up in a panic I think. I’ve noticed that if I do too much I get terrible fatigue as well. I am very emotional due to the stroke  and area effected which can be very embarrassing when I meet someone I know, it tends to turn you into a recluse which is not a good thing.

Take each day as it comes, you will get lots of support and ways of dealing with how you are feeling on here. 

Best wishes 


Hi Wendy,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, its been a long hard week.

Well done for getting back to work, I'm missing mine alot.

I've been in contact with the Stroke lady, she was very good and very helpful. I'm down to see the GP on Monday and we can make some plans after that.

The fatigue thing is a killer, I can't find a way round it. I just have to stop until I feel better, but hopefully that will change in time.

I'm doing my best to keep cheerful, but do get the 'blues' now and then. Hopefully that will change too.

Hope everything is good with you.



Hi Adrian,

Love the website, had me saying 'Yes! that's just how I feel!, again and again.

Hope all is well.


Hi Tony - the fatigue needs to be managed, don't ignore it, your body/brain is telling you to take a rest.  Everyone on this site has developed their own routine for the fatigue/sleep balance, and you will need to work something out that suits you - ooh don't I sound bossy ?!! Once you've found out what suits you, it doesn't have to be set in stone, because as you recover and improve you can tweak it, but as long as you treat yourself nicely and learn to rest you will be on the road to recovery.  My husband's routine has changed considerably from the early days, but he occasionally has days when he suddenly needs lots more rest, if he's had a busy week he needs to catch up at the w/end - you will soon find your own routine.  In the early days I remember that fatigue didn't just gradually creep up, he said it was like falling off a cliff and completely consumed him, but now he often works 8,9,even 10 hour days!!  (Not really recommended by me !!)  

Take care look after yourself, and look forward to hearing of your progress ?

Hi Nicabella,

Funnily enough, I was at the GP,s this morning and he had a different view.

His prescription, was to go out for a brisk walk of at least an hour each day, and if i felt any sort of fatigue just to get up and do more and more  things.

The wife was listening to this and so dragged me around the town until I could hardly stand.

At this moment I really, really dislike the medical profession, I am in so much pain and so fed up.


This GP has clearly never had a stroke or had much experience of post-stroke recovery.  I suggest he's talking rubbish - to put it politely.  Just read other stories on this site, in fact direct your GP to this site he needs educating if he is to advise his patients appropriately.  Now you're feeling properly rough, and you need a rest.  Try reading "Letter from your brain", you may want to print a copy for your GP.  All SS on this site will advocate rest and plenty of it.  You're not recovering from a hip replacement, you're recovering from a brain injury - completely different recovery programmes.  I'm really shocked at the lack of insight from this GP  -  glad I don't have him at my surgery or there would be trouble!!

Tony, look after yourself, take a rest before your body tells you it's had enough, be kind to your brain - you will make a far better recovery if you take things at a steady pace.   Best wishes xx