Small steps

I had a stroke Dec 20, so just over a year. Nice for me reading peoples stories and seeing everyone has different and same problems/wins. I went back to work after 6 months, far to early but we had no info to tell us what to do. Work for me is at home and laptop, so I can work with one arm but I don’t know how others manage, my partner is my carer and I long for the day we go back to couple rather than carer and stroke patient. Normally I do things quickly and could not understand how long this would take, but a lot of small steps are really adding up to improvement. Next target is walk in the park. Fingers crossed

1 Like

Hello @Amandaso, I hear you about the work thing. I started back working (online) about three months after and had to stop. So I’ve taken a year off. I think I’ll be ready to start a “phased” return in February. I work for myself, so have a little bit of flexibility. Certainly small steps. I am constantly astounded at how incremental recovery is, and then there’s relapses which remind us we’re getting carried away during the better times. It’s taken me a year to walk properly and not shuffle, and now I am working on visual and spacial awareness issues I have, as well as, anxiety.

1 Like

Yes definitely more difficult to accept that we don’t set the bar. Your comments I have been reading for other posts helped me post, I am finding communication really hard, speech, confusion ect. so its really cool to read that others struggle too. visual and spacial, anxiety, I was so driven before but not anxious, reverse that now. Speech therapist gave me some help for anxiety which I am trying, just need to do them for a while.

1 Like

Hi Amandaso- Just over a year is really not long in stroke recovery time. It amazes me that you went back to work after six months! That was really pushing it. The healing from most strokes takes quite a while, but don’t be discouraged. You’ll get better and better every day. You’re right about a lot of small steps adding up to improvement. Sometimes they’re so small you don’t recognize it happening. I started walking 300 steps with a walker. Moved to quad can. Then regular cane. Then no cane. I would add on about 20 or 30 steps every few days. I gradually built up to 2 miles! But it took me about 3 years. I kept a log, so I could “see” the improvement. Keep on “keepin’ on”. :wink: :heartpulse: Jeanne

2 Likes

Hi Mahoney,
Thank you, hope you enjoy going back to work, colleagues have been good but it is hard to cope at times. I tend to be really un-involved in work, I used to be really passionate but now just do my job its so odd. I kinda like the the un-involved me, I don’t see it lasting. Be interesting to see how people manage returning to work. Good luck for going back.

1 Like

Hi Jeanne,
I am really hope my walking improves, sounds like you have the right approach and I did the supermarket with hubbie after I read your comments and gave myself the “just try” chat as I hate people seeing how I walk, but if I don’t try then it wont get better. We going to do walk to the park today (across the road) and just see how I do. Really appreciated your input, as its really hard. Amanda

1 Like

Yep, its so tough. What work expects and what I can really give. On the benefits side, talk to your doc, Stroke is mental and physical. The need to not have work stress can be our own defence and I wonder if like me you do a high pressure role. I have no clue what’s right as I seem to have made all the mistakes. I have been back at work for 6 months and it feels harder.
On the plus side I walked 30 metres, there and back unaided but think that working all day leaves me too tired to exercise, so I am also working out how to work less without going broke. Also there is a good booklet for employers, depends on your HR
A complete guide to stroke for employers | Stroke Association
Amanda

Well done,keep it up, a tip for when you go out first time on your own,take a mobile and tell someone about your journey,I didn’t when I first set off on my own,wanting to be independent and “Normal” got half a mile away to the shop ok,coming back forgot where I lived even tho I’ve lived and walked across these fields for 24years! Stood there like a nitwit for ten minutes tring to figure it out,nope still nothing so I thought oh well just go in that direction and if its wrong then go another way,anyway I did get back OK but it taught me a lessin.:grin:best wishes Bernadette :heart:

1 Like

Love this, I do so many silly things now. Helping make sauce the other day, finished electric whisking, took the whisk out of the bowl but for the life of me, what next?. Could not work out to turn off, I have had it many years, there was sauce everywhere as I was trying to work out what I doing, hubby was laughing his head off, I was crying laughing, kitchen covered in mess but hey ho, am starting to laugh much more. Thanks Bernadette, Amanda :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yes its a crazy world now for us but sometimes its also hilarious,how do I dry myself after a shower?why can a 6year old tie shoelaces and I’ve forgotten,what are those thingies called when you go to a different area and a stranger serves you,and you think they know what you’re talking about haha.i like to think that Stroke is the gift that keeps on giving!!!:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::heart:keep going its All you can do.xx

1 Like

Sorry not been on for a week as just plain knackered. You made me lol again as well. What is this simple actions problem, just cant get things right at times. Other times no problem but it seems that I dont get to control that, silly brain decides. Ah well.

Hi Manone, sorry for late reply, been totally knackered after work and exactly what you said, less exercising which means more pain but need the money go round. So now I am feeling better this week as it seems to go good week, bad week. I have decided that exercising is number 1 and have broken it down through the day to arms and hand 15 minutes and before tea 45 mins legs and core. As I said ok this week will be all over the place next week. Seriously it is really hard though and I cant wait for a little normality. Amazed you walked to work, that’s brilliant. Worst is concentration so I asked the team where possible to keep it to 30 min meeting, but doing a RFI and that is hard to stick to. Decided to win lottery as a last resort.

1 Like

Just a thought @Mahoney, have you somewhere at work where you can go for quiet intervals to recharge your battery? I have been trying meditation on the go, which requires a moment or two of grounding before tackling the next task.

1 Like

Hello @Mahoney, I’m just experimenting with it at this stage as a way of dealing with neurological fatigue. I have a heart-rate app on my phone, and so am using it to try auditory biofeedback, so testing my heart rate and trying to lower it as it tests. Also, a tactile task you can do as part of a break might help, I say this because when I spend time snapping kindling for the kindling basket, it seems to distract my brain with enough repetitive physical activity to then recharge it for the next cognitive task. If that makes sense. Hope you find a routine that works for you.

2 Likes

How are you doing?hopefully getting stronger?
I have agreed to a 12/16hour week split over 4days at work,a couple of times j might have to catch the bus,that should be fun!!! I just went to put washed bedding out,dropped some on the grass,dropped some pegs,took forever and there were only two pillowcases and a sheet,why does everything take twice as long to do and seem much harder??‽still at least it’s sunshine :sun_with_face:
Try to look on the bright side,I know it’s hard but maybe we are still here for a good reason?i try the lotto but its not that,well not yet anyway?keep going,dont give up and keep in touch when you can.x☆

1 Like

Big steps yesterday, so chuffed cant believe it. So we finally made it into the park on Friday enjoyed some sun sitting on a bench then walk home. All good, but Saturday walked to the park and decided to carry on walking and walk to Lidl, so we did and I got to go shopping (I really love the all sorts of rubbish aisles). So we shopped and it was great. Cab home knackered but very happy. I am going to be walking once a day, tomorrow we have a road near that’s a gentle hill so that’s the next step. :dancer:

1 Like

Hooray! :smiley:Isn’t it wonderful how ones appreciation for little things grows once one has had a life-changing event like a stroke? So glad you had such a fine day! :heart:Jeanne

1 Like

Really good that you have had a lovely couple of days - the sunshine has been lovely here too. Before my stroke I had NO idea how mentally draining they can be but I suppose if, as I did on first coming home, you call the dishwasher “that large white electronic box that is in the corner of the kitchen and washes the dishes” it will take up more energy. Hope those of you who are having to go to work are coping as well as possible. I have taken my very small occupational pension at 60 and hope to be able to survive on my husband’s pension and disability PIP as although I know I’d be an absolute liability to any employer I don’t qualify for any benefits

1 Like

Its so tough. It seems if you worked all your life you get nothing. I would not work but I know we would not have any benefits but we could not live. I really hope that you can retire. The walk was great and doing something every day is giving me more energy. Amanda

1 Like

Good luck with work - I do miss the company sometimes but am thinking of doing something voluntary that I can just do one hour a week

1 Like