Sleep problems

why do i wake early hours of morning even though had stroke 13 months ago, i am busy part of the day, if i do to much get tired sometimes dizzy

4 Likes

Hi @tricia3
That’s a good question. After 2 1/2 years the last two nights have I think been the first two that I’ve had more than four or five hours continuous sleep .

Post stroke I didn’t sleep well. I think a large part of that was having an inert right hand side meant that I had to wake to change position. I also had challenges with getting back to sleep and found that getting up for 15 minutes and then going back to bed was the most effective strategy for me.
I think for the last 18 months a pattern of waking at approximately 1:30 3:30 5:30 6:30 7:30 has been baked in, perhaps habitualized?
My right arm has been getting stronger and althogh the hand still recalcitrant I’m a lot better at turning over in bed using knees and elbows. I haven’t got back to my favourite sleeping position which was more or less on my stomach with one arm around the pillow that the side of my head is resting on but I’m closer, so perhaps comfortable for longer

Then… night before last I work in the morning with a strong suspicion that I hadn’t followed that pattern and then this morning I woke and I have 90% convinced the last time I had looked at the clock was 1:30 and it was now 6:30

So I have some observations that are no basis to form a conclusion on but are cause for hope

1 Like

There could be many reasons why you wake early. A lot of people do. If it’s becoming a problem perhaps discuss with your GP.

A good bedtime routine is essential. Leaving phones, computers alone for a while before bed. Finding ways to relax & switch the mind off. All easier said than done i know. Trying listening to relaxing music if you can’t get back to sleep- i find it helps me.

Hi Tricia, I can really sympathise with you on this. I’m 6 years post stroke and my sleep pattern is still very unpredictable :angry:. I must admit that I wasn’t a great sleeper before my stroke and I have never had good quality sleep. Since my stroke, I get off to sleep quite easily but usually wake up at about 2 am feeling like it’s morning and it’s time to get up and then wake up every hour or so until it is time to get up at 8am. :angry: :rage:. Very frustrating. Luckily I don’t suffer with post stroke fatigue.

I was prescribed Amitriptyline to take at night whilst in hospital, to help me relax and to help me sleep and had been using it ever since, although I don’t think it really helped. Recently I ran out of Amitriptyline and had 3 days without it and felt absolutely fine and slept fine, so have now stopped taking it completely.
It is really strange because occasionally I have a week or two when I sleep really well and stay asleep all night until it’s time to get up at 8am and it’s heaven and then I go back to waking up every hour for no apparent reason!!.

Sorry that’s not very helpful but feel better for having a moan.

Regards Sue

2 Likes

i dont work but in the house in the morning,i did a few jobs before breakfast then church, i am tired nowleg troubles me a bit, dont take pain killers i am 76

2 Likes

i have computer in room as not much space two bed bungolow, try to have walkk every day about a mile on pedimeter, i fall asleep in front of box, do have a valeriam camormile oatstrawlavender and sage herb drink every evening, and jhorlicks at night, its dragon tea

1 Like

thanks for advice :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: :cold_face:

Have you had your blood pressure checked recently because that can cause both problems. If you have your own monitor then maybe take a couple readings a day and take them to your gp if they seem high. Alternatively your local chemist could take it for you. My chemist took mine a few days ago and now is fitting a 24hr one on me on Tue as it’s been a bit high.

2 Likes

no i usualy take myself myself, will today

1 Like

In case you or anyone else on the forum needs a reminder:

2 Likes

Tricia,

I sleep like a log (almost)
but I battled with this problem all of January ( 1 hr sleep per night )
what do I take before bed (now)?

2 Seratonin yumi gums ( from seratonin we make melatonin )
CBD oil under the tongue ( calms the mind )
Liposomal Magnesium ( relaxes muscles )
some vit C & B complex
Liquid Zinc under tongue

plus go to bed at exactly the same time every night 10:45
I also have a 45’ nap after lunch
I think that’s a good start… maybe you take these already?
Good luck, Roland

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story, dizzinss can be due to fatigue or postural drop- I would suggest contacting GP (as advised by other users) to request a review.

Kind regards

Kusal, Stroke OT

2 Likes

I’m not a lot of help. I have never been a night sleeper, and I know the reasons for that. I have no problem with sleeping, just the timing is not generally compatible with others. It is a problem for me only in the expectations of others…I have to be awake for daily appointments with hours anywhere from 7 am to 6 pm… and for swimming in the evenings or going to football practice with my grandson or watching him during the day while his mom works. I sleep on and off whenever I feel tired and let it go at that. Who really knows if that is good enough? It is what I am able to do. I am sleeping between 6 and 12 hours in a 24 hour period around my other necessary activities. Before stroke I was sleeping 4 to 6 hours in a 24 hour period, so I feel quite lazy now. I certainly agree with not doing anything that gets my brain stuck on something aggravating or thought provoking before sleep as that can keep me from sleep, but trying to plan for the next day (or when I wake up) usually puts me to sleep fairly quickly. Perhaps because I want so much to be able to plan but can’t seem to stay on task!

2 Likes

I forgot,

a few drops of lavender oil on my pillow every night, by doTerra

always in my routine,
good luck, Roland

2 Likes

i took it yesterday 126, 71 so not too bad

1 Like

you go to work the, i am a pensioner, try to have walk everyday, but over do it, its says on my pedimeter 1. 74 and i only went into town walking from shops then catch bus, huby has to pick me up as bungalow at the top of village. 3, 874 steps, cant be right

3 Likes

but i am on bp tablets blood thinners, it says you cant have magnisium oil when you take benafluzide or clodrigal, i take vitemen b gummies doc put me on vitemin d and i have thin bones and he said i have non alcholic gout , that is due to bp tablets. i have glucosmin tablets omega three as well, got to have bone scan i put lavender, bergamot. chamomile and sage on pillow, i have herbal tea ofvalerian camormile and sage in evening, i have l;emon balm in garden. thanks for your advice

2 Likes

Tricia,
Sorry, my bad suggestion about magnesium then ; it’s not for you.
I also use a healy device sometimes, but they’re expensive.
Another technique I use is to practise remembering my dreams,
for one, I then know I’ve been sleeping
Lastly. I don’t look at the clock ; as that can cause anxiety

it’s not dark enough during Summer months but
I hope you manage to sleep better soon
ciao, Roland

3 Likes

thanks, will ask in the health shop about this magnisim i bought for leg

2 Likes

Thanks, is there a difference in BP in ling and then in standing (after 1 minute)? If there is difference then it is something worth discussing with GP.

Kind regards

Kusal, Stroke OT

2 Likes