Shakshuka, yama lama ding dong and very nice too

Here’s a healthy almost vegetarian, economical recipe. We’ve tried this twice recently with variations and it gets a thumbs up from both of us.

Shakshuka

Flavour the simple tomato sauce with whatever takes your fancy whether it’s curry powder, pesto or fresh herbs.
Last time we had it with black beans, chopped red pepper, green beans, basil, a little curry powder, a shake of balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and a drop of sesame oil. With some chopped left over roast chicken at the end. (the none veggy bit)

The first time we had it with 4 eggs and chunks of a brown bloomer.

Will definitely be back for more.

Serves 2

Ingredients

4 Extra Large Free Range Eggs (or left over roast chicken)
1 tbsp Olive Oil (plus a little sesame oil)
2 Red Onions (chopped) + extra white onion
1 Garlic Clove
1 small bunch Coriander (basil)
2 cans Tinned Cherry Tomatoes (I used ordinary chopped tomatoes.)
1 tbsp Caster Sugar
1 Red Chilli (deseeded)
pinch salt
2 tsp cornflour to thicken
4 Crusty Rolls

Total time required 25 mins
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins

Instructions

Heat the oil in a frying pan that has a lid, then soften the onions, chilli, garlic and coriander stalks for 5 mins until soft.
Stir in the tomatoes and sugar, then bubble for 8-10 mins until thick.
Using the back of a large spoon, make 4 dips in the sauce, then crack an egg into each one. Put a lid on the pan and cook over a low heat for 6-8 mins, until the eggs are done to your liking.
Scatter with the coriander leaves and serve with crusty bread.
Tip: Can be frozen for 1 month. (tends to disappear immediately after it is made)

3 Likes

Nothing like a one pot wonder, this reminds me of Ervilhas Guisadas, a Portuguese dish I used to cook with peas as the base instead of tomatoes, but it had mixed in proper ham and eggs on top. Tonight, I had sausages, potatoes and sauerkraut.

2 Likes

@Bobbi
I do a vegan version of this with tofu (I know it sounds horrendous, but it’s not honestly!)
Great helthy hearty and as @Rups says a one pot wonder! (ful)
:yum:
Toni x

3 Likes

Someone else mentioned shakshuka to me recently. It looks fairly straightforward so will have to give it a go. One pot meals are ideal :yum:

2 Likes

@Mrs5K

It is a Morrisons recipe:

Really quick to put together. An easy cheap but very tasty meal for two.
I used eggs first time and followed the recipe but started to get adventurous.
I’d bought black beans from ebay, they make an easy tasty difference. Just used cheapo tinned tomatoes, Red onions and what, just whatever you have, some sugar and balsamic to bump up flavour and a shake of curry powder anything for flavour herbs spices.
We had some left over chicken but I think it would be a good user up of what’s lurking in the fridge. I’ve been adding a sprinkle of grated cheese in all sorts of meat dishes makes the taste richer and secretly moreish.

Anyway happy cookin’
Share a virtual meal using your phone camera…

:bowl_with_spoon: :cook: :teapot:

1 Like

I shall be hunting the kitchen cupboard for all those herbs & spices that have been forgotten about :grin: we always have tomatoes, onions & eggs hanging around & i’m with you on the cheese :yum:

3 Likes

@Mrs5K

I hope you give it a try.
For us, with variations, this will be on the menu permanently.

keep on cookin’
:bowl_with_spoon: :cook: :teapot:

1 Like