Setbacks + referral

Hi all,
My mum, aged 77, is now almost 10 weeks since her massive stroke. It’s been a very tumultuous journey with a few significant set backs: pneumonia, UTI, urine retention and at the moment she’s in severe pain from a peg insertion 4 days ago (she’s on morphine). It seems that whenever she reaches a level where she improves quickly something happens that literally causes her to be bedridden. Nonetheless she’s being referred to a stroke rehab unit at level 2.

Can anyone offer any advice on what I need to look out for between now and discharge? I’ve spent the last 10 weeks chasing up medical staff to ensure they’re on top of mum’s treatment (although they’re great, they’re often short staffed and/ or incredibly busy) and don’t want to drop the ball as we await discharge. I guess a lot depends on her recovery once she recovers from the peg procedure.

Pointers are most welcome.

2 Likes

I don’t really have helpful input. Someone else was still overseeing my care when I went to rehab all three times. Asking as many questions as possible about what it to happen there, as well as to what is to happen in the meantime (or what is the treatment plan).

I believe I was speaking with you at one time in the past ten weeks, then sort of got you confused with another person whose mother was also afflicted with stroke with other complications. I did not mean to abandon you…just got confused. I hope others have stepped in. Keeping you and your mom in the light, sending good energy your way.

3 Likes

Hi @EMG72
There’s quite a lot in various posts about the hospital to home stage of the journey.

To the best of my knowledge it hasn’t been collated but you can find it using the magnifying glass above and searching.
I think you’ll have to do a fair amount of reading and it would definitely be a valuable asset if you made a note of the threads and posts that were the best advice.

I can only give a shotgun reply not knowing what is relevant in your case or not but some thoughts about what to search for would…

…I guess the topics that are relevant would cover: bodily functions - so access to bed, comfortable chair, bathroom, cutlery and food although with a peg maybe that’s supply of meals. Also distractions so TV & radio/ internet, getting out perhaps, jigsaws or cards or books etc. also moving around so trip hazards, grab rails, …

Lots of the above maybe supported by your occupational therapist and adult social care needs from the council. Also in that vein maybe carers to offer support and therapists to offer rehabilitation. Depending on your role intensity you should perhaps look for carer support and respite if not immediately now soon.

If she has friends and neighbours in her circle then maybe talking to them too?

2 Likes

Ah, that’s what happened! It’s fine. I saw the thread move in a different direction which I respected so it’s not a problem at all.
I’m sorry you’ve had three strokes, my lovely. The sounds incredibly tough.
Thanks for the advice about preparing for rehab. I feel I’m on the ball with my questions, but I’m concerned I’ll miss something that could have a negative impact on my mum’s recovery.

3 Likes

@EMG72 i’ve not been through it but would suggest you need to do a bit of research on places she might go to to check you are happy with what they will do for your mum. There may not be a lot of choice but you want it to be right for your mum. What’s important to her? What will they do to ensure she continues her recovery? What will you have to provide for her there? What you might be expected to do?

Just a few things thay spring to mind. Good to hear your mum is making progress despite some setbacks.

Best wishes

Ann

3 Likes

Thank you - my mum isn’t coming home for a while. She’s going to a rehab unit. I did search the forum before posting but couldn’t find any specific info about referrals to rehab units. But when I have another spare moment I’ll try again. My parents are rather unsociable (neurodivergence is part of the picture) so they don’t have any friends in the area. My siblings don’t live close enough to help out much.

4 Likes

I would imagine the rehab unit will attempt to get her used to dealing with things in a safe environment with a view to getting home and being able to cope with what is ahead.
It might seem like a delay but it is another step in the right direction.
None of us can see into the future, which is why you can’t get a firm picture of how things will turn out.
This is stroke territory and though you will get support all that not knowing can make it difficult to see a way forward.
Things will settle down and then you will have a better idea of what to do, but for now be patient, be kind and hope for the best.
We are always here, not always with answers, but interested in your progress and happy to encourage and share.
:heart:

3 Likes

Thanks. I like the idea of researching the places she may be referred to. Ill get on to that.

4 Likes

Thank you for your kind words.

3 Likes

All three times I was ‘incarcerated’ in rehab, I was lucky enough to have some very good physical therapy, occupational and speech therapy. Lucky for me, I was always in a room by myself. I also lean more to the introverted side, as well as worry about bothering others with the hours I keep, or sharing bathrooms, etc… It worked out well. The kindest thing was having close friends and family come to visit to ensure any issues were addressed immediately. The only negative I found was not having the attention I received in hospital, where they treated me like their miracle child. They were very proud of their handi-work. Might have spoiled me.

When it comes to going home, I will have some things to say about that. I was soooo excited and in a hurry to come home, but that led to some major disappointments. All good now, but might have helped if someone knew to expect some of that.

Sending love and light. Be sure to rest yourself, and find time for something you enjoy, that perks you up.

4 Likes

I’m so glad you’re doing ok now, DeAnn. So the rehab unit my mum should be going to (subject to her assessment) is in an old stately home set in a gorgeous public park. I’ve heard very good things about it. I’m just desperate to get her our of hospital so she can start to reintegrate into the real world. But all in good time…

4 Likes