Seizures more than a year after stroke

Hi has anyone else had seizures after a stroke ? Weirdly I had the first one exactly a year after my stroke, just when I thought it was all over :cry: , had a second one the other night 3 months later. Both when I was asleep absolutely terrifying

2 Likes

Hi my first post i had a bad stroke last September and came home in January and suffered two seizure s very frightening but one was laying down and onesat on a chair soall 0k1stone ct scan showed no problems 2nd one i kind of fought it off aparentlyits quite common after a bad stroke due to the scartissueethe brain is trying to healaround i was prescribed epilepsy drugs and haven’t had any for three weeks now! Hope this helps

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply, hope you don’t have anymore :+1: , so frightening x

2 Likes

Hi @Caz3
I dare say others will be along to give you more anecdotal experiences - but no, seizures are not uncommon

The stroke association website has an article here And the epilepsy society has one here

And if you use the magnifying glass above and search for seizures you’ll get over 50 hits from people’s to this posts which will give you a lot background in context

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

Hi @adsmoore17
Welcome to forum but sorry you’ve had cause to join us. Thank you for your first post being to support somebody else :slight_smile:

Usual find a lot of people here of similar - they generously share their experience. Reading the backlog of posts well cover most questions but ask away and please also support anyone like you’ve already started :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon
Ps You might find the welcome post useful

1 Like

@Caz3 I don’t get seizures but i believe they are fairly common after a stroke and they don’t always happen straight after. I can’t begin to imagine how terrifying they myst be. Have you got meds to help control them?

Hope they settle for you. Xx

2 Likes

@adsmoore17 Hi & welcome to the forum. I hope you are getting on ok after your stroke & it’s good to hear your meds seem to be helping with the seizures. I have my fingers crossed that remains the case.

Best wishes

Ann

1 Like

Thanks :+1: , I can’t get meds as my doctor won’t prescribe until I’ve seen the neurologist which I did a month ago, they have lost my notes argghh :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: will be back on the phone again tomorrow

1 Like

Oh thats infuriating. I’ve been to appointments where they haven’t had my notes & that is bad enough as you’re having to repeat yourself all the time & they can’t see whats already been tried.

In this day and age you’d think they would be on the computer.

Hope your neurologist appointment goes well.

Ann

2 Likes

Hello Caz, I’ve had seizures too. After 12 weeks I had them down my effected side. I went to A&E, like adsmoore17, blood test and CT scan, nothing was evident. I was referred back to my original stroke doctor. He told me too, it was the scar tissue where my bleed had been. He prescribed me anti-epileptic tablets and since no bother. The downside is I can’t drive for a year.
Keep on at the neurologist and doc. It is horrible when it happens. I too got awoken with one. It lasted about 1-2 minutes. Fortunately, my wife calmed me down and got me breathing steadily so it subsided.

3 Likes

Hi, yes. My seizures started a month after my first stoke 2 years ago and I have been on meds ever since as I’ve had several. My meds have been increased several times since then, but as of May last year I’ve not had a single one. I’ve yet to be told if I will be on meds forever or if one day the consultant will wean me off them.

Good luck & take care

3 Likes