think, imagine, remember, plan

active experience
creativity, imagination, inspiration, movement
conversation, discussion
play games, read, write
compete, learn, teach, share
puzzle, quiz, jig saw, move

the possibilities are unlimited

as I said elsewhere, stroke is an elaborate trap, it must be escaped at all costs.

Smilin’ is allowed.

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smile: :heart:

4 Likes

Thank you @Bobbi it raised a smile :smiling_face:

2 Likes

At the moment Bobbi I’m on a big dose of politics mixed in with a diet of the post office enquiry.
I know it’s not really doing much for the chilling but I’m finding them so interesting.

Not one person from the post office seems to think they were in any way responsible…so far anyway. Will this enquiry mean anyone is to blame. It now turns out, it wasn’t just this horizon system but ATM machines and scratch cards as well. When will this ever end. Who would ever want to be a post master.

3 Likes

I was in IT when this started so computer weekly was a frequent read.

The idea that any small system could be bug free was ludicrous - a goal beyond the wildest dreams of those who built them.

the idea that any national system could operate in anywhere near a reliable fashion was beyond ludicrous - why did every large system have a help desk and second and third line support teams!? It was& is ‘how you got business done’.

The folk we have seen from the post office at the time were denying that there was a problem in order to maintain credibility and confidence in the post office as an institution that was transitioning from public to private ownership - a strong ‘survival need’ driver that was a duty of all of the exec.
Perhaps Paula Vennell’s started a trend by not being honest that snowballed - every other exact has had to repeat and extend the lies.

Folk like van whatsit & that ex policeman introduced or cooperated with an ethos in the investigation teams that was toxic and vindictive as well. That’s where the really shocking miscarriages of justice are born from. That’s where retribution in the shape of prosecution should focus

Now the enquiry is discovering the front line miss application of authority (the post office I think was unique in being able to be Accuser & Court & Judge & Profiteer) the middle and senior management are seeing culpability track back to them with the very real prospect of jail sentences - so their willingness to be frank and open has evaporated in their self interest of avoiding criminal liability.

There is enough interest in the public domain now that there must be some held to account but whether we will ever see just desserts for all who are in line for them I think is doubtful. But we should see recompense for postmasters at long last

re the OP

I think on the wider point of the original post - a message I would support is that ‘everyone is free to use their time in the way that occupies them best’. For some that is one theme, for others it is other themes - so we should insist on freedom to choose rather than charge other people’s choices as inappropriate. Politics and religion have been the root of much evil but they have also been the root of much good.

Both are in transition as science replaces church’s pronouncement as unimpeachable explanation for all things. That to is a wrong approach. Nowhere the previous one of religion nor science can overall all other sources of ‘a single truth for all people’
Religion may have 100% lost its role as explainer but by the ceremonies that recognise life’s journey and transition points such as a Birth Death and Marriage it does have relevance - albeit in a way that is still emerging to have relevance today rather than 100 or 500 years ago

3¢s

1 Like

There’s nothing like healthy dose of change the subject.

I find that discovering one needs urgently a p yet not having a clue where the toilets are does rapidly take centre stage changing the agenda and re-ordering priorities.

It has happened to me and I bet it has happened to you…

Any watcher of University Challenge will know exactly what I mean.

2 Likes

You could reconnoitre the situation as you arrive or even ask, that’s a good one! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The legal team have a lot of explaining to do.
Almost feels like “we were just following orders”, at no point did we ever wonder about the concept of right or wrong

1 Like

Another outcome of stroke Bobbi ?
Insert word of your choice but how ****** annoying is that and limiting.

1 Like

The question i haven’t heard asked and would be interested in is "where were the non-execs during all this? "

While we’re on the topic of politics or “no politics” is that use of stars apparently is an intention to defeat the stroke associations interpretation of what language we are ‘permitted’ to use. so I wonder if I should flag your post :slight_smile: the last time I put stars in a private message it earned me a month’s ban without any prior warning of any sort - the ‘funny’ thing was I was defending Bobby’s rights to have opinions

Of course I won’t because I think that as StrokesThrivers we should be able to express ourselves within the realms of our own conditions effects on our emotions and expressive capabilities…

3¢s :slight_smile:

3 Likes

7.00 am Monday

last night’s recipe from our kitchen

took me a while but worth the effort, proper tasty

shakshuka fusion

onion
celery
mushroom
roast chicken
left over mashed potato to thicken
fusilli pasta
sunflower oil

for fusion flavour a little of each, or what have you:

garlic
fermented black beans
curry powder
ginger
basil
balsamic vinegar
sugar
gravy granules
salt and white pepper
sesame oil

served up in pasta dishes

tried it before and will try it again
infinitely variable
tasty and satisfying
a good user upper supper

and now off for a glass or two of Turkiye cay

8.00 am Monday morning

and now I’m looking at this recipe for a bakewell tart

Might have to have a go at that, nuts? it’s gotta be tasty and good for you. Sugar? nothing to see here. move along please. (You could always share it around and eat small slices.)

Equipment

• 1 23cm fluted loose bottomed Tart tin approx 9 inches

Ingredients

• 200 g Plain Flour
  • 40 g Icing Sugar
  • 100 g Butter Chilled and diced
  • 1 Egg Medium
  • 1 tbsp Milk
  • 175 g Raspberry jam Seedless
  • 160 g Butter
  • 160 g Caster Sugar
  • 3 Eggs Medium
  • 160 g Ground almonds
  • 1 Grated zest of Lemon
  • 25 g Flaked Almonds

Instructions

• Pop your flour and icing sugar into a large bowl, then add your butter and rub in using your fingers until it looks like breadcrumbs (I used a food processor on pulse for this part)

• Next add in the egg and milk and bring together the pastry with your fingers. Don’t overwork it. Once you have your ball of dough, pop in a plastic bag or clingfilm and put in the fridge to chill for an hour if possible

• Preheat your oven to 180C/ 160C fan/ Gas 4

• Grab your pastry from the fridge and roll into a large disc, big enough to line your fluted tart tin

• Line your tart tin (23cm fluted loose bottomed tart tin) with the pastry, trying not to stretch it and pushing it gently with your finger fully into the tin. If it break a little don’t worry , just patch it with the broken pastry. Trim the edges with a knife and pick the base a few times with a fork

• If you have time chill again for minimum 30 minutes

• When you are ready to blind bake your case, pop in a piece of crumpled baking paper and bake it the preheated oven for approx 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the baking paper

• Cream your butter and your sugar in a bowl using a hand mixer or by hand, cream until light and fluffy

• Then add an egg at a time, beating in between

• Finally fold in your ground almonds and lemon zest

• Spoon your jam into the pastry case and using a knife cover the bottom of the pastry

• Next add the frangipane mixture. I use a spoon and dot it all over the base and then use a knife to smooth it out (try not to drag the jam to the top)

• Finally add your flaked almonds evenly over the top

• Bake in your preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes - checking after 35 minutes. Your Tart should be golden brown and firm to the touch

• Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 5-10 minutes, then remove the tin and leave to cool - perfect

I need to check the kitchen, I think we have ground almonds

:cry:
nope not got none nowhere nohow.

1 Like

Ooooo bakewell tart… i now feel the need to eat some😁 i doubt i have the ingredients to make it now but could add it to my next shopping delivery.

1 Like

@Mrs5K
Could be a plan. That photo of the finished article does look good. So much better than shop bought.

I think I’ll ask Hilary to add ground almonds and flaked almonds to the next shopping list. Must give it a try.

Might look on eBay to see if prices are competitive there. No the supermarket looks cheaper by far.

I have some flaked almonds but not enough. Need ground almonds,& raspberry jam then i think i’ll have everything I need.

I never used to bake & it’s only since seeing your posts that i’ve started. Hubby is happy to eat the results :grin::grin::grin:

2 Likes

@Mrs5K
I’ve asked Hilary to order the necessaries and am looking forward to our next shopping delivery.
I’m more than pleased that my description of adventures in the kitchen are creating an interest in the food that we eat.
I’m not a follower of fads and fashions. I am not sure how important it is to stick to the modern idea of the healthy diet. I am more of a traditionalist and feel that if something has been good for hundreds of years, or maybe more, then it would be folly to imagine that somehow we know best these days.
So my recipes might not be fashionable but they are good on the pocket, taste good and are nourishing. Eaten in moderation I think there is overall no harm in them.
All I have to say is, do what you think is best, be happy and enjoy.

I agree everything in moderation…i do try to be a little healthy but probably undo it all with cake & the occasional biscuit :rofl:

I like most of your recipes as they’re not overly complicated & fussy but nourishing like you say.

Keep posting them so I can steal some ideas :grin:

1 Like

Including moderation :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Mrs5K

You won’t have to twist my arm. I love sharing what I get up to in our kitchen.

I hope there will be more recipes on offer, I like to experiment with both new and traditional ingredients. It is a pleasure to share what I have discovered.

I am slow and steady in the kitchen and drive Hilary mad because it takes me hours to put together what should only take minutes.

We recently bought a mixer, not top of the range price wise, but with a excellent spec at a really good price from a reputable supplier. I’ll write about that ( I’m not sponsored in any way) and share something that I think is worth knowing.

After having had years of good service from an own brand Lakeland bread machine I decided to buy their stand mixer.
At £250 it is half the price but with competitive specifications compared with top of the range equivalents.
I am well pleased with both price and performance. I always hand mixed but now I need some help and this is the accessory for me. It is simple to operate and does what I require.
My recommendation comes after good experience with this company. I have been given no incentive or special treatment.

I have purchased other equipment on the internet to make work in the kitchen quicker and easier. I will share information about my purchases every now and again.

I think i might have to invest in more gadgets. Anything to make lifeca bit easier. That mixer looks a good one.

1 Like

I have a beautiful steel wok, properly seasoned hanging unused in the kitchen. It is just too heavy to handle since I had the stroke. There had to be an answer.

I got this aluminium wok much lighter, with a lid, solid and strong and at a good price on ebay. It cost just under twenty quid. I love it and cook one pot wonders of all sorts in it. Plus it cleans up nicely too.

I used it to prepare Shakshuka (recipe above) a number of times recently. It is good for Chinese dishes, curries, stews, to rustle up a quick batch of soup from whatever comes to hand.

One pan handles all and makes washing up a breeze. Aluminium is great to cook with, no hot spots, good temperature control, easy to clean. The one we have is 4.5 Litres, ample for the two of us.

So that’s my sales talk, here’s a picture. It suits me maybe it would suit you?

I used to crush garlic to a paste with the side of a knife, but today I need help and this tool does a good job. All these recommendations come after having used them for some time. The crusher is about £4.00 on the internet, try eBay, though I have seen them cheaper.

Black Anti Slip Mat Roll 150x30cm | Grip Matting Matt Drawer Liner Multi Purpose
Slip a piece of this under chopping board, dish or bowl to keep them steady as you work. I keep a roll in the kitchen drawer. It is washable and non toxic. Cost a couple of quid.
I got mine online but I bet you can get it in a pound store

I have a wok that lives in the cupboard under the stairs. Hmmmm. We do use our slow cooker loads though. Obe pot meals are perfect after a hard day at work.

I’m going to look for one of those garlic crushers as i too use a knife but not very successfully.