Proposal. Whose in? Getting my (our) hand(s & and legs etc) useful again

I was born right-handed - but the right hand doesn’t work now.

Who wants to help me get my hand back to the point where I can write, use a knife & fork etc?

I expect some of you have a less than functional hand? Possibly on the end of a less than functional arm?

I want to help you improve your function.

I propose that we form a self-help group, meet on zoom to discuss where we are, share what our physios and our research and our boxes of pegs and walnuts and thera bands and philosophy for door handles and light switches etc contain and how we might encourage and hold each other to account on a weekly basis

@mrfrederickson seems interested, I definitely am, who else wants to join us?

When’s the suitable time? I’m pretty flexible on the diary for an inaugural discussion

Ciao
Simon

4 Likes

Yes Simon,

I will definitely offer to participate, though my main research is for my leg. The fascia, I believe, is causing my spasms (every other day locked-glute) and foot problems. Like you I am right handed, and that is my weak side. My arm is in much better condition (possibly around 3 years ahead) than my leg because it was remapped 10 days post stroke. Consequently I have far less pain in my arm than my leg, indeed it’s near zero pain most days. Currently I am learning to type with my affected hand and writing out the alphabet. I am going to post a video clip of myself using a knife and fork at breakfast, a few months post-stroke.

Speak soon, ciao, Roland

4 Likes

Roland I have in mind that we are not restricted to upper limb but establish support for people’s needs.

Aphasia as well as lower limb are clearly needs people express an absence of adequate motivation and/or knowledge and/or support and/or etc (can folk name other topics?)

I suggested upper limb as a start and as a model if other people with lower limb/ walking/ balance etc challenges are inspired to post below let’s get a lower limb group to also share goals actions exercise regimes and hold each other to account / peer support / encourage and motivate.

Ciao
Simon

4 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Getting our hands (and everything else) useful again

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Getting our hands (and everything else) useful again

Folk …

I’d like to focus this thread on establishing self-help peer groups - “proposal who’s in?”

The discussion about what strategies and favourite authors is valuable but it’s also another thread :slight_smile:

@Mrs5K could you move/ merge posts about ice baths and rehearsals into this thread please its the subset title of this thread IE minus “proposal who’s in”

Thnx
Simon

Thnx

3 Likes

Hopefully i have understood your request correctly. I can aleays move them back again if not :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I am definitely in. Somehow, this post did not show up in my new posts, so I missed it. I did find in while searching for Party to apologize to those who did not attend, for any mistake I may have made with the invite link. I don’t know if I did but suspect it.

As you know, I can use both hands fairly well, although I do no feel the left hand much and arm still gets very stiff and hard to move. But the larger concern for me, is to help others get to at least where I am, while I still remember how that happened. There thankfully are very many different ways that can be helpful. But having others to do these things with might just be the motivation or reminder to actually give them a try.

Thank you for your kindness in always thinking of how to be helpful to others. I certainly appreciate it. You are an inspiration to me!

2 Likes

I’m in as much as I can help others I will do :+1::+1:

3 Likes

I’m in Simon, I would like to join.

Gilly

3 Likes