Progress

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned making a 200 yard journey along the pavement of the street where I live. I’ve been repeating that journey each day that this spell of wet weather allows. I’m now resting for an hour afterwards as opposed to 2 hours.
The progress made is that I managed to walk, unaided by anyones arm, stick, or frame around the outside of my bungalow this afternoon. I’m not quite ready for the London marathon yet, but when I consider that 16 weeks ago I was lying in a hospital bed with no feeling or strength in my right arm or leg at all and almost unable to move, I feel very chuffed.
Yes, I’m slower. Yes, I wobble a bit. Yes, I guess I’ll always have a bit of a limp (a limp what, you may ask). But it’s a step - many steps in fact, a step I could only dream of, lying in that bed in Worthing hospital.
I’m going to have another crack tomorrow and if the pavements weren’t so uneven, I’d try part of my daily journey. But first things first and only take on what I think I could achieve.
Sorry to go on… I just had to tell someone.

20 Likes

:partying_face:Yaaay :partying_face: yet another celebration :laughing: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :clap: :clap: :clap: Oh I do so love celebrating stroke warrior achievements, don’t you :grin: It’s such a wonderful sign of progression, things getting better than they were. And you certainly don’t apologise for “going on” about it. Your post gives hope to others, and I’m glad you shared it with us :people_hugging: :smile:

5 Likes

We are going to have to watch you aren’t we! :slight_smile:

Actually I better say hi, so hello I’m sorry I wasn’t here to welcome you I was serving on ‘enforced leave’

The real messages that’s really really really fantastically good progress. The more you push yourself and it does have to be yourself then the more progress you’ll see and that will continue as long as you’re making efforts.

Very nice to me make your acquaintance :slight_smile:
Ciao
Simon

4 Likes

Thank you so much, EE. Finding this site has given me motivation like you wouldn’t believe. Honestly, you guys are the best. :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

Seconded :slight_smile:

And these are to beat the 20 ch restriction

4 Likes

You too, Simon. I feel I know you having read many of your posts, but the sentiment is reciprocated. Oh, and my remark to EE regarding the terrific people on here refers to you and everyone else I’ve come into contact with.
Best, Bob.

4 Likes

@BobQ1 yay that’s fabulous progress. It’s so great to hear of others achievements. I bet it felt good to do all that. Here’s to tomorrows adventures :partying_face::partying_face:

3 Likes

@BobQ1 Onward and upward Bob! Good for you and keep at it… It felt so good for me to get rid of my cane. Walking is probably the best exercise we can do. Get stronger every day.

4 Likes

The thing about a cane was it occupied my one good hand which made me feel even less able if slightly more stable (Mable!:rofl:)

Onwards & upwards - but slowly

4 Likes

:blush:well done you​:clap:. Always great to read about achievements. Please don’t apologise for “going on”, it’s what keeps us all motivated.

I just wish that the pavements near to me were even and easier for people with mobility issues to walk safely.

Keep up the good work, look forward to hearing about your future achievements.

Regards Sue

4 Likes

@BobQ1 and all the rest of us working on moving forward.

This forum is a great place to document your progress.
It offers two great functions in this regard.

In the future you will be able to return and map your adventures, your ups and downs. This is a very useful yardstick when you feel you are getting nowhere. It is a reminder of how you tackled seemingly impossible tasks.

Secondly and at least as important, if not more so, it is useful to others also finding their way in a place that can feel very dark and lonely. It can inspire, give hope, help to form plans and ideas for what can be achieved.

Every day, sadly, more are joining this group just as lost as we were. Hoping to find a direction. Something, which if we care, we ourselves can offer.

Never mind all the leaflets and programs, leading by example is a very valuable contribution.

Who you are and what you do is important.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

3 Likes

Well said, Bobbi.
I know I’ve said this before, but I don’t personally subscribe to the ‘Plateau’ theory other than the one that exists in our own head. I’m sure that there is an occasional ‘slowing down’, there is still forward movement - albeit not as pronounced as the progress we make early on in our journey. None the less, I believe that self-belief can get us through that barrier.
Every millimetre more I move my finger/s each day is a millimetre towards full capacity. We can’t all do it. Inevitably some of us will have been damaged more than others which makes the battle tougher for them. The rest of us know that we’re here to provide help and support, where possible.
Oh, Gawd, here I go again… I’ll shut up.
Have a great day, everyone, I’m off for a stagger.
BobQ1

6 Likes

Hi, Susan_Jane.
You raise a good point about uneven pavements being non conducive to safe hobbling. I think I may approach my local sports centre and ask about using a corridor or two for the purposes of having a good stagger. However, there could be issues regarding safety or insurance raising their ugly heads, for which no-one would want to take responsibility for. So, sadly, could be a non-starter. But if you don’t ask, you don’t get. It won’t happen overnight, but…
Watch this space.

4 Likes

I actually use our daily shopping trip to a supermarket or shopping centre for my daily walking exercise. It’s flat and you don’t have to worry about the weather :smile:.
Weather permitting, I do try to walk along our road and back. Thats when they’re not digging up the road of course :triumph: We also use our local Sainsbury where I use the stairs instead of the lift or escalator. All good for keeping me moving.
Regards Sue

5 Likes

Actually Bob, that’s a very good suggestion for those learning to walk again.

We have a community Leisure Centre with an athletics stadium and tennis courts attached and there are a few others in the area. These sort of facilities would be a good and place for walking safety. Even just a tennis court would be good for practising on.

Some gyms like Total Fitness near me, do actually have an indoor track for runners/joggers. The gym I go to don’t have an actual track but there’s still plenty of space for that kind of walking as you people walking around with bell weights in their training routines.

3 Likes

I’ll have a word with my local sports centre. But on reflection, they may look on stroke victims as a greater risk than Joe Public and not want the responsibility.
But, we won’t know 'til we try, will we. I’ll give it a shot, anyway.

3 Likes

They are never going to turn away business Bob :laughing:

When I joined my gym, balance and cognition were still way off and I was weak as dish water. I found the staff extremely helpful and accommodating, I’m sure you’ll find the same :smile: Your success is their success :wink:

3 Likes

We don’t live very far from the coast and I found walking on the beach good. It’s both a challenge and forgiving if you fall over :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not on my local beach would it be forgiving. Like a lot of South Coast beaches, it’s comprised of pebbles, and a less forgiving beach, you won’t find.
But it’s BRACING!

3 Likes

My therapist said walking on grass or sand is better than cement which is jarring or roadway. Best is to do it barefoot. It builds strength in the feet and ankles.
Might be a bit chilly on the beach these days.
I find the treadmill terribly boring. I would rather just march in place to music with ankle weights. If I don’t keep up the legwork almost everyday, the spasticity locks me up…so…life at this time IS a treadmill. :thinking:

4 Likes