Progress update

That’s great progress @lynne_day923
I hope it goes well. It’ll get easier in time i’m sure xx

2 Likes

Thanks he has been told to come down backwards i don’t no who’s more anxious me or him but we will keep going

3 Likes

Just go slow, hold on, rest when needed

I even came down hands free today! But the first year was backwards

It’s progress :slight_smile:
Celebrate the journey’s inch pebbles - they add up to mile stones

3 Likes

With both my hip replacement and then broken ankle, I went up and down on my bum. At the top I had a little stool to sit onto as an extra step so I was better able to bring myself to standing.

The physios at the hospital tried to black mail me by saying I couldn’t go home until I managed to go up and come down on crutches. After I’d paint them a very graffic picture of what could so easily happen coming down on crutches they shut up :laughing:

3 Likes

Oh I do love these progression updates, they seem to be coming in thick and fast :grin: That’s cause for yet another celebration :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :clap: :clap: :clap: So pleased for you and your hubby’s progress, keep it come :pray: :people_hugging:

3 Likes

Going upstairs this weekend didn’t happen he said he’s working up to it think his confidence had gone hopefully he will try this week

3 Likes

Oh that’s a shame. Confidence does take some rebuilding after a stroke.

Maybe try a couple steps then come back down & build up to a full flight. Doing it with a physio & on your own are 2 different things.

Hope he tries during the week x

3 Likes

Tried today hot up no problem and down like you say confidence will help x

5 Likes

That’s great. It’ll get easier the more he does it & sleeping in your own bed is a great incentive.

2 Likes

@lynne_day923

I’m only a little further on than him. Thanks to a visit from an occupational therapist it was decided to fit another banister rail. We now have one on each side. This means I can walk down forwards.
I was given a few practice sessions before being let loose to tackle the stairs on my own.
It can be a bit of a struggle sometimes, I’m not running up and down yet, but it has helped build some strength.
An added bonus is that my my weak or non functioning arm has shown a great deal of improvement, I can lift it high and move it around in ways impossible before.

Talk to someone about that second banister rail.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grin: :+1:

5 Likes

Going up and down the stairs regularly is excellent for stroke patients in so many ways. It helps build confidence, strengthens muscles, improves balance, etc. My mother could go up and down a big flight of stairs in our house without barely holding onto the railing. We were so proud of her, but she found it to be no big deal. LOL. Her emotional mind was too far gone to appreciate it, but it was amazing for someone 71 who had a serious stroke.

4 Likes

Hi all just a progress report Finally got bk upstairs and doing stairs fine hopefully this will strengthen his left leg small steps ,hope your all keeping well and progressing too x

5 Likes

Sounds like good news!!! great!

K :polar_bear: :wink: :two_hearts:

3 Likes

@lynne_day923
Thank you for your good wishes. It is slow progress here, but it is progress nevertheless. I’m pleased to hear your news, you must be proud of him. By the way you deserve a pat on the back too, your support will no doubt be a great help. Make time for yourself, you will need to keep your strength and morale up. This is a long road we are all on.
All the best to you both
Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smiley: :+1:

4 Likes

@lynne_day923 that’s great news. As time moves on it should get easier for him.

Well done to you both xx

2 Likes

@lynne_day923

before all this a physiotherapist encouraged me to step on and off the first step. She assured me it would rapidly strengthen the muscles of my lower limb.

3 Likes

Yes we have started doing that and he’s walking around house all the time and going to bk of garden thanks for your encouragement

4 Likes

Hi @lynne_day923
There are some good exercises videos on both different strokes and stroke association YouTube channels

To find the DS ones go to YouTube and enter the search “stroke exercise programme:”
There are lots of them ranging from levels 1 to 5

To find the SA ones go to YouTube and into the search ”Stroke recovery exercises - Red group" or Amber or Green group - red is for people who are chair bound and green are pretty demanding. If you go to the stroke association website for online activities and find the registration at the end Nicola and Lisa running online classes using the exercise videos with peer group involvement to help motivation

Also pretty good the YouTube’s from Tara https://youtube.com/@rehabhqofficial and Elyse https://youtube.com/@PostStrokeOrg

Ciao
Simon

3 Likes

Hi everyone hope you’re all progressing
We have had said bye to the hospital bed and going upstairs is ok ,but this weather is not do any of you struggle with your walking outside when it’s like this i think it’s the fear of falling,also he’s getting abit grumpy cos he can’t get out its going to be a long winter Anyway if i don’t get on here before xmas a merry one to you all and best wishes for 2024 and more progress x​:santa::clinking_glasses:

3 Likes

@lynne_day923 a lot of us suffer more in the cold weather. One of the joys of stroke.

Sounds like things are progressing well though.

A happy Christmas to you and yours too. :christmas_tree::christmas_tree::gift::gift::santa::santa:

1 Like