Progress update

Hi everyone hope your all well haven’t been on for a while just thought id update progress of hubby
Moved ramp today as john can get in and out of house without wheelchair, walking still slow :snail: but it’s slowly getting better he’s just having problem with his left foot wanting to turn over did have a splint on ,but physio has asked him to try and go without it to try and strengthen his muscles
Thanks for listening to me your posts are very encouraging hopefully ill be back on with another update

13 Likes

@lynne_day923

You must be so proud of him. It is your encouragement that spurs him on.
Well done both of you. I’m sure you will make still more progress.

We look forward to updates like this, keep them coming.

News like this can be inspiring for others, it is good for us all.
Thank you for sharing.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

5 Likes

Hi, that’s a brilliant update. You must both be very pleased. I always feel that my progress and achievements are a joint effort and that we both deserve a pat on the back.

Thank you for sharing, its always a great inspiration to hear of progress when you are struggling along this long tough road to recovery.

Keep up the good work both of you :clap:

Regards Sue

5 Likes

That definitely calls for a celebration :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I second the physio’s advice going without the splint, mine wouldn’t even allow me to use a walking stick, all for the same reasons :face_with_diagonal_mouth: Hey-ho it was for the best in the long run.

2½ years on and although my right foot still has an urge to turn over I do have much better control over it now, and I’ve never actually twisted that ankle…yet :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: And I do still have an intermittent foot drop, mainly when tired or sat too long, then it’s a case of go carefully 'til it wakes up. :wink:

4 Likes

That’s great to read @lynne_day923 he’s doing well & you should both be proud xx

3 Likes

Fantasitc news! I am so happy for you both! I remember well how happy it made me to finish with the shower chair, and the high toilet seat, and the 4 legged walker, then rollator, and now cane (mostly). I am still unlearning the habits of using compensation techniques for my vision and for walking or picking up things, so I also agree with the doctor…if you can avoid those compensations, healing will probably be faster. I still use the cane in crowds as noise, lights, movement of others around me confuse my brain and I forget to walk…just stand there and tremor, but I am training myself to get used to crowds once more.

I am so, so pleased at the progress you two are making!

4 Likes

It sounds like progress is on the way . Keep fighting and seeking support from others: Therapists, friends and family. Onward and upward.
Regards, Derek

3 Likes

Hi all hope your well just a quick up date John’s going to be going upstairs this weekend to sleep
We had a practice with the physio this week going up then bk down its going to be quite scary but it will help strengthening his leg muscles ,ill let you know how it goes

3 Likes

Great news

Milestone :slight_smile:

I think the first year of using stairs I had to come down backwards and maybe the first month I came down more on me bum when I wasn’t feeling confident but they’re going up definitely was strengthening and confidence building ( after I done it a few times!)

Keep pushing the boundaries :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon

3 Likes

That’s great progress @lynne_day923
I hope it goes well. It’ll get easier in time i’m sure xx

2 Likes

Thanks he has been told to come down backwards i don’t no who’s more anxious me or him but we will keep going

3 Likes

Just go slow, hold on, rest when needed

I even came down hands free today! But the first year was backwards

It’s progress :slight_smile:
Celebrate the journey’s inch pebbles - they add up to mile stones

3 Likes

With both my hip replacement and then broken ankle, I went up and down on my bum. At the top I had a little stool to sit onto as an extra step so I was better able to bring myself to standing.

The physios at the hospital tried to black mail me by saying I couldn’t go home until I managed to go up and come down on crutches. After I’d paint them a very graffic picture of what could so easily happen coming down on crutches they shut up :laughing:

3 Likes

Oh I do love these progression updates, they seem to be coming in thick and fast :grin: That’s cause for yet another celebration :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :clap: :clap: :clap: So pleased for you and your hubby’s progress, keep it come :pray: :people_hugging:

3 Likes

Going upstairs this weekend didn’t happen he said he’s working up to it think his confidence had gone hopefully he will try this week

3 Likes

Oh that’s a shame. Confidence does take some rebuilding after a stroke.

Maybe try a couple steps then come back down & build up to a full flight. Doing it with a physio & on your own are 2 different things.

Hope he tries during the week x

3 Likes

Tried today hot up no problem and down like you say confidence will help x

5 Likes

That’s great. It’ll get easier the more he does it & sleeping in your own bed is a great incentive.

2 Likes

@lynne_day923

I’m only a little further on than him. Thanks to a visit from an occupational therapist it was decided to fit another banister rail. We now have one on each side. This means I can walk down forwards.
I was given a few practice sessions before being let loose to tackle the stairs on my own.
It can be a bit of a struggle sometimes, I’m not running up and down yet, but it has helped build some strength.
An added bonus is that my my weak or non functioning arm has shown a great deal of improvement, I can lift it high and move it around in ways impossible before.

Talk to someone about that second banister rail.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grin: :+1:

5 Likes

Going up and down the stairs regularly is excellent for stroke patients in so many ways. It helps build confidence, strengthens muscles, improves balance, etc. My mother could go up and down a big flight of stairs in our house without barely holding onto the railing. We were so proud of her, but she found it to be no big deal. LOL. Her emotional mind was too far gone to appreciate it, but it was amazing for someone 71 who had a serious stroke.

4 Likes