Previous injuries resulting in pain

Over the years I have had had a number of broken bones. back in 2 places, collar bone, my foot, ribs and a broken wrist. Horse riding isn’t a safe hobby and I have been riding for more than 50 years so it’s just par for the course really. I’ve found in the last couple of months that my previous injury sites have started to ache, and my back, where I have various titanium rods and plates is super painful. Has anyone else found that their previous injuries cause them hassle post stroke ?

3 Likes

I have an old knee injury that plays up lots more since my stroke. Think it is down to my poor walking. I guess we make adjustments & adaptations to enable us to do things and perhaps these compensations aggravate other injuries. Also, we might not move around as much and that probably doesn’t help either.

2 Likes

That may just be coincidental you know, probably more likely you are feeling them more with the change in weather as I am. It’s old age setting in I’m afraid, and it was I something I was warned about long before my stroke when I had my hip replaced. It’s the same for my broken ankle and arthritic fingers. All three of them don’t much care for the rain and cold these days.

1 Like

Probably old age, and the fact my osteopath is very careful these days. Don’t think he is used to treating patients who’ve had a stroke.

2 Likes

Yes for sure. I broke my hand playing cricket around 6 years ago which immediately resulted in my little finger dropping outwards.
All resolved after and back working fine with the finger aligned as it should be.
Post stroke my finger has resumed the injury pose which is a right pain (literally at times) with putting on jumpers or reaching for something.

There must be some sort of body memory that is triggered again following the traumatic events.

1 Like

Hi @clibbers1
That seem to be a fair number of anecdotal stories that supports your enquiry. There are neurones throughout the peripheral and central nervous system that co-operate in pain detection and interpretation so it seems reasonable that brain injuries would cause challenges in interpretation .

There’s a big long thread on here about central stroke pain being severe pain with no physical cause only a neurological one so it seems plausible that disrupted signals as a result of an old injury now not be interpreted as old and ignored or suppressed - just speculation really on my part

@Mrs5K so makes up point that may be germaine: If your stroke has altered your walking gate or your sitting posture - and is done both for me - then anything around the pelvis and spine alignment is potentially going to generate new discomforts :frowning:

They say that non-steroidal anti-inflammatories are a risk factor for us but I do put diclofenac gel on when I need topical relief. So too of course are hot water bottles and ice packs.,.

Have you spoken to the GP? Mind you they are not the experts but the sign posters are too experts - the weather is another factor

I wish you well with your aches and pains
ciao
Simon

3 Likes