Post recovery with vertebral dissection - emotional impact

Hi all,

Really struggling emotionally about my future, since having my TIA. It was caused by a dissection and after numerous scans there has been no change to the healing of my vessel. Which means I’m on medication for life and constant worry I may suffer another stroke. I feel so let down by my body. Just constant worry and stress about what’s to come. I do my best to stay positive and remind myself how grateful I am for my health. But there’s times where I feel emotional and scared about my future. If I’m honest, feel quite alone because I don’t know anyone personally that has suffered this injury like myself.

Anyone in this forum in a similar situation/suffered a vertebral dissection?

2 Likes

@Ali3 welcome to the forum. Sorry you’ve had cause to join us. Hopefully you’ll find it a great place to be.

My stroke was caused by a carotid artery dissection & initially i was worried that it would cause another stroke. I hadn’t had any checks done to see if it had healed / was healing so had no clue if it was going to strike again.

In time though this anxiety reduced as nothing else happened & i was on the correct meds to reduce the risk of another stroke.

It’s normal to be emotional after stroke. This should also settle in time. If your worries are becoming an issue for you then please speak to your GP as they can help.

It may be worth you looking at the Stroke Association Here for you service as they can pair you up with someone who has been through the same as you.

Sending you my very best wishes.

Ann xx

2 Likes

Hi, sorry to hear about your stroke but welcome to this forum. I’m sure someone here will have experienced the same and be able to offer some useful advice and information. Feeling anxious and nervous about your future is very common following a stroke and I’m sure we all had those feelings in the early days.

Best wishes with your recovery and look forward to hearing from you when you feel ready to reach out.

Regards Sue

3 Likes