Novel effects?

Something I discovered post stroke that isn’t recovered after 3 years is

I can’t whistle anymore

It hasn’t been particularly high up my priority list to recover

it might be related to my pronounced tendency to bite my lip these days - if I’d ever had salt that might have helped!

What odd, undiscussed, amusing, strange,… Post strokes primary secondary or tertiary effects have you experienced

Ciao
Simon

5 Likes

I’ve noticed that when I sneeze it doesnt come down my nose anymore and I have to hold the tissue to my mouth. Also my eyes stay open, which is quite useful when driving.

2 Likes

Now you mention it, nor can I whistle, Simon

…at least, it’s a struggle to whistle very badly
A slight stiffness in facial muscles stroke-side
(not visible) but it has changed my accent/voice by 1%
Nobody could hear this, except my wife who admitted she could after a year.

ciao, Roland

2 Likes

…but not when you’re trying to get some sleep, at night?

2 Likes

Oh!!
How strange
I can see the facial muscle changes might have secondary effects on what is an autonomic process like a sneezing!

Has it reduced the efficacy? Like my wife when she sneezes sneezes about 15 times in a row but I only ever sneeze either once or twice

Helpful result for driving :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon

1 Like

Remember way back Rups saying his bread cutting skills had improved so have mine. Not novel but annoying , when out,have to classify people into look alike groups. , maybe always did it but now all the time. Taken by surprise by an unusual face.

2 Likes

Paul: when I sneeze it is a like a huge canon firing and my whole body convulses sending shock waves all through my body.
Anything touching, sad or uplifting on the internet or on TV can suddenly bring tears of emotion…just the slightest thing.

4 Likes

Hi Simon,
I don’t like the taste of Alcohol since my Stroke as it tastes bitter !

Sally

3 Likes

Hello Sally (& welcome)

Do I understand correctly; you had your stroke 4½yrs ago and have just found this forum?

I’ve had numerous taste changes most of which have resolved
Unfortunately alcohol is still attractive - a change like yours seems like it would be desirable - in a reverse logic sort of way .

Scrambled egg taste like saccharine - that has been with me since my stroke

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

@SimonInEdinburgh the strangest one is my left hand little finger twitching uncontrollably if I put any weight on it. I mean like a small tv remote or similar. It just starts twitching at an alarming rate until I remove the weight.

1 Like

@SimonInEdinburgh my taste for alcohol has changed. I still mostly like the taste of proper beer but oddly I now also enjoy the taste of red wine on its own, which I didn’t before. I used to enjoy it with food but now it tastes good alone.

2 Likes

Sorry then…no scrambled eggs for you for Christmas. :roll_eyes:

I might give you a glass of red wine if you stay out of trouble this holiday season. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yes, Strings, strokes bring on funny changes.

My mother ate Chinese pork dishes like crazy. She would have never eaten such things before her stroke. She would put down 2 glasses of her favorite drink in a minute or two. That’s just not how she was before her stroke.

She also acted stoically about things that would normally make her very emotional.

It was all very odd…but our brains are very fragile. We can all change in an instant. Nothing permanent about us, really.

1 Like

I only generally sneeze once and then have to blow my nose after, as the cause of the sneeze still needs sorting. I also have an impaired swallow action which is probably all linked to the affect the stroke has had one my facial muscles though I have been fortunate.

2 Likes

Outlander, similiar here, I frighten dog when I sneeze. He always stops what he’s doing to check on me.

2 Likes

No its only the sneeze reflex eye closing thats been affected. Hadn’t noticed it until the other day when driving.

2 Likes

@PaulWT My dear dog…when I’m having bad symptoms, he somehow detects it and comes right to me as I’m sitting in my easy chair for a nice cuddle. Amazing.
I’ve heard they can detect cancer in victims.
I am dog crazy :blush:

4 Likes

@Chlodog How sweet that is. Love it!

2 Likes

Hi I had always bitten my nails I tried to and tried to stop over the years but failed, after I had my stroke something in my brain had changed and now I do not bite my nails :nail_care: I love my new nails a positive to come out of my stroke x

2 Likes

@Chlodog My blocked nasal passages are no longer a problem. I guess my boogers are gone also.
:rofl:

2 Likes