New to site

Thank you @Dennis238 thats really useful info.

Sorry to hear about your husband.i had a stroke 2.5 years ago,its an ongoung process and i found that for every step forward i took i also had 2 steps back,but i learnt to pace myself, listen to my body and do what i could when i could and when i couldnt it didnā€™t matter.it is a long journey your on now so take each day as it comes,dont sweat the small stuff,youā€™re doing the right stuff dont do too much though sometimes its good to do nothing.i found some days i just wanted to be left to just beā€¦
Also ask for help, rope everyone and anyone in to support you and also be kind to yourself look after you too,you wonā€™t be any help to your husband if you burn out/get ill yourselfā€¦so have a break,have a day off, go out or sit in the library/cafe for a couple of hours just relax if you can then start again the next day refreshed and tell hubby what you got up to,something different to talk aboutā€¦he will hopefully get stronger and well enough to share a few hours out or doing something he will be interested in soon.also do keep a diary its surprising how much things change and you donā€™t notice till you look back.i wish you all the best and keep popping onto this site,it is a mine of information and good to know you arenā€™t aloneā€¦sending hugs to you bothā™”

Hi bernadette. Everyone has been so kind and full of wonderful support and advice. We have had a really good week and these are some of the things we have done extra. We now have a wheelchair so we have wrapped my husband up and got him out of the house. Its a big massive manual chair to help support him so its very heavy to push but we have one flat route that leads to the park so thats a nice walk. We also took him to the pub on sunday afternoon to meet uo with 12 of his cousins. A familiar pub and his family are very close and we had a lovely few hours. The following day he smiled all day. I have also booked a private physio who is wonderful helping him stretch his muscles and help with brain stimulation. So i feel like our days are filling up with activities. As you say tho he gets very tired and some days he just sleeps and we just play his music and i read to him.
I have been reading quite a bit on hypnosis . Has anyone tried this? Apparently it can really help stroke recovery . I am speaking to a therapist tonight to see how they can help. I will let you know how that goes. X

3 Likes

@CB115 that all sounds amazing. Getting your hubby out into some fresh air will do him the world of good. Sounds like everything is coming together nicely & you are trying so hard for him. Heā€™s blessed to have you. Iā€™ve been really cheered to read your post.
Best wishes xx

1 Like

Now you have a wc you could take a wheelchair accessible taxi further afield.

Yeah. We live about 5 miles the beach and we have a lovely promenade. Thats going to be our next day out when its not too cold x

1 Like

Oh that sounds lovely. I do like being by the sea. Its a but further away for me so is a rare event.

mostly keep positive, do not be afraid to ask friends and family for help. any new changes are a step closer no matter how small. gp will be good for any additional needs, donā€™tā€™ forget to take time out for yourself too.

My husbands cognition is very poor but improving.i love to read ti him tho. I try to read what he would normally like such as James Petterson thrillers. This week i thought it woukd be nice to read something sitting beside him that he could see with pictures so we have been reading superman comics and he really seems to like that. I thought i wouls share that as it definitely seems to get him focused for a few minutes. X

3 Likes