My stroke story

HI
IAM MARK AND I AM 57 YEARS OLD.
I HAD STOKE AT THE BEGINNING OF 2014. WHICH LEFT ME PARLISYED DOWN MY LEFT SIDE & A BLOOD CLOT ON MY BRAIN…
AFTER 3 MONTHS IN HOSPITAL, 2 OF THOSE IN A WHEELCHAIR. AFTER PYHSIOTHERAPY AND OCCUPATION THERAPY I REGAINED USE OF MY LEFT SIDE
BUT STILL HAVE WEAKNESS DOWN MY LEFT SIDE AND FIND IT DIFFCULT TO GRIP WITH MY LEFT HAND.
I DEVELOPED SUSPECTED PSORIATIC ARTHRITIS WHICH FLARES UP SOMETIMES IN MY LEFT HAND AN WRIST.
I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH TYPE 2 DIABETES AND NAFLD IN 2023.
THE STOKE LEFT ME WITH BAD SOCIAL ANXIETY. I NEVER GO ANYWHERE
ON MY OWN. MY MUM AND SISTER ALWAYS COME WITH ME. I DO NOT EVEN GO TO THE LOCAL SHOP ON MY OWN.
THIS IS MY FIRST STEP TO OVERCOMING THE ANXIETY ( ITS ONLY TAKEN ME TEN YEARS).2024-05-05T23:00:00Z

7 Likes

:partying_face: :clap: :clap: :clap: :partying_face: Congratulations on taking that first step so we can all welcome you @MARKY131 to this wonderful forum. You made an excellent choice :wink:

Don’t mind me, I just love to celebrate all successes no matter how minor they may be :smiley: But overcoming anxiety is a major first step, but many people are naturally anxious over their first post on a new platform regardless. It’s just that natural caution of stepping into the unknown. You’ll soon relax into it when more of the regulars come on to welcome you, so relax and breath :people_hugging:

There are a few regulars on here who are able to relate your anxiety and will no doubt share their stories and coping strategies, so please stay tuned :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Welcome. You’ll get a lot of support, help and advice here. You can use the search function - top right to find past topics. There may be a stroke support group near you. Could you attend that if you knew everyone else was the same as you. There are a couple of zoom social groups on here - would they trigger your anxiety? One coping strategy I have seen is - if people stare tell yourself it is because you are so beautiful.
Janet

7 Likes

Bravo Mark,

Well worth hearing your story. Do tell more, you’ve had to endure a lot (I certainly have) but congratulations on your 10 year stroke anniversary. I’m sure you will conquer your anxiety; well done for taking the first step. Onwards & upwards,

ciao, Roland

3 Likes

Hi @MARKY131 & a big welcome to the community. It’s great to have you here & well done on taking the massive step in trying to overcome your anxiety.

You have come a very long way & to regain the use of your left side & you sound like a very strong person. You have a lot going on but if you can deal with such a big stroke I’m sure you’ll be ok with the rest too.

Congratulations on your 10 years post stroke too.

You’ll find many friendly people here & we look forward to gearing from you again.

Best wishes

Ann x

2 Likes

Hi@marky131 well done very brave to come here to share your story, you are not alone and many of us here, including me finding anxiety very overwhelming at times,at first I found it difficult to go out alone, I have sight loss to I feel very self conscious that people are looking at me… I didn’t go out for three months but I pushed myself to go to the little shop, I didn’t need anything really but I thought, this cant go on anymore, it was raining and caught my arm on the door handle but got out of the door and did it, you can too, well done on all your progress so far best wishes

2 Likes

Shwmae Mark, good work on breaking through some of that social anxiety. I hope checking into the forum will give you an avenue to break through further, I look forward to seeing you round the threads. :smile:

2 Likes