My story

Hi I am Marnie,

I am 46 years old I had a stroke age 11 it was from a blood clot causing hemiplegia left side paralysis, It happened while I was swimming in the swimming baths. I used to have a part time job for the brain injury service in scotland as a rehabilitaion support worker but years after I moved to Manchester had a family and am now full time mum. My reason for joining was to meet and chat with others. My main issue is long term recovery now that I am older

5 Likes

Hello @MarnieT
Welcome.
There are many here on similar journeys. @MrSpratt had his stroke as a baby and is now in his 60s - which I think is our record. You would be close to 2nd :slight_smile: but there are others too

Youā€™ll have to tell us more about what capabilities you have/ lost/ want to developā€¦ If we are to identify threads and topics that are relevant to you :slight_smile:

A story of inspiration may be this one - click the blue text to follow the link
20231223_163521

Keep chatting & especially reading.
Youā€™ll find thereā€™s a wealth of information.

Use the magnifying glass at the top for search for keywords. It will allow you to find topics and therefore the authors who you can then @ mention - But be aware not everybody who has ever posted is still active
You can tell if somebody is active by looking at their profile for the ā€˜last seenā€™ date

I for one would be interested in hearing about your journey. Your recovery, attitude of others coping strategies may just stages you have identified in emotional and/or physical changes etc :slight_smile: - Iā€™m 3 years past so youā€™ll have a lot of experience but folk like me will be interested in

Ciao
Simon

3 Likes

Hi @MarnieT & welcome to the group. That must have been very difficult being so young when you had your stroke. It sounds like youā€™ve done some great things in your life with your brain injury service job & now your family.

Hope you find this group a great place & look forward to hearing more from you.

Best wishes

Ann

3 Likes

Hi Marnie- Youā€™ve contacted a group of wonderful, smart, helpful people. Whatever your experience has been, I know that you will be a great help to someone elseā€“just by being here. Be sure to look at our Games area- Thereā€™s ā€œOur New Funnies Threadā€, Place Names , Animals, and Word Fun. Hope to see you there! :blush:Jeanne

4 Likes

Hi @MarnieT I havenā€™t been here long but itā€™s a great place to be. So much information. Helpful members that will share their experiences.

Steve

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, I look forward to posting and finding my way around this site.

4 Likes

I look forward to seeing more of you here and getting to know you. I am working on the ā€˜longerā€™ term recovery but have only 2.5 years experience of recovery. Perhaps we will find ways to help one another, or just have some fun conversations. Either way, very nice to meet you.

3 Likes

Iā€™m 59, and had a stroke 16 months ago. Life can still be rough. What on Earth does it feel like at the age of 11? Did you have a lot of weakness on the affected side?

Glad you joined us, hope to have good chats
Roland

4 Likes

Hi @MarnieT just wanted to welcome you to the forum. Itā€™s seems Iā€™m not a million miles from as Iā€™m in Manchester tooā€¦just not in the centre. Hope to speak more with you around the forum. :smile:

3 Likes

Well everything was so scarey like everyoneā€™s stories, and experiences. I was swimming in the deep end under water surfaced to the top took agonising headache then started to slide under the water my whole left side wouldnā€™t work. It was blurry and the pain in my head was intense I kept going under water then resuface thankfully Pool attended saved me. I owe him (my hero). I spent 4 months in hospital in Edinburgh as my left leg and hand arm was paralysed, my speech effected and face pulled to the side. I had to learn chew dress walk as was in wheelchair but then with splint I was able to walk with a limp and was discharged back home. Back then there was no support group. I remember attendeing chest heart stroke class age 12 everyone in group was a pensioner but i participated. I had to go finish last year of primary school and then went to highschool. I have been left with a limp to which I wear a foot up, and have a walking stick that I only use now older. My hand I cant use much but have range and movement my dystonic muscle spasm are treated with botox. Left highschool for college then didnā€™t work but volunteered at brain injury service for a year applied in house for part time job was best job ever had. I then had a daughter who is now 11. Sorry rant on but happy to share

5 Likes

Hi I had full loss of left side full paralysis, I was told and still am it was a very bad hemerpldgia stroke, thats left me with life long dissabilities. Yes 11 was most difficult as no support groups then. how bad was your stroke?

3 Likes

Wow @MarnieT that must have been very scary for you but thankfully the pool attendant was on the ball & saved you. Iā€™m sure you had many struggles over the years but your volunteering etc is a credit to you. Itā€™s great to hear your experiences. Thank you for sharing x

3 Likes

Wow you have endured and overcome a lot of hardship. My stroke was 26/42 on the US stroke severity scale 16 months ago. My arm was remapped 10 days after my stroke, and a full range of movement was restored. I couldnā€™t walk when I came home though, 2 months after my stroke, but a couple of weeks ago, after much treadmill and physio I managed to walk 1 km, with a stickā€¦ that was a good day. What I still lack is much feeling and proprioception on my stroke side, but itā€™s improving. I have a bizarre pattern of 1 day good / 1 day bad (a locked glute) for the last 8 months. Iā€™ve started to paint with my left (non dominant hand) and that keeps me busy and also, I still teach (2-3 students only) a day. Alas, I can no longer play my violin professionally. Do you have any hobbies to pass the time?

4 Likes