My fiancé has had a major stroke

My fiancé who I was planning on marrying in June had a major stroke on February 23rd caused by AF which was only diagnosed the day before. He spent six days In Addenbrookes and then was transferred back to where we live. The doctor when it first happened said that he could well have another stroke or if he does survive this then he will be in a care home. However since moving back to our local hospital he’s doing so well and whilst he’s still in hospital he will be moved to a rehab facility very soon. He’s been having physio and speech and language at hospital and he’s started to talk although he does seem to have a form of aphasia. He’s definitely understanding everything and thankfully it’s not changed him as a person, he just can’t get the right words out sometimes although he’s trying so hard with this. He has got right side paralysis also but his right leg has had some movement and they’ve been getting him to stand using an aid which is incredible. He’s also doing really well with sitting balance. This really has rocked our world as a family it’s been so scary, I’ve also had bad anxiety and started antidepressants which is something I said I’d never do. I’ve since learnt that although the doctors did say this at the beginning it is worse case scenario so really hoping it won’t come to this. He’s only 52. Please if anyone has any positive outcomes from news like this please share. Thank you for any support

2 Likes

@Bubblesmum
Hi and welcome . Sorry to hear what’s happened to you but rest assured you are in the company of an understanding group of people who have gone through similar times. Others may also tell you this but it’s very early days for you at the moment. Despite what the doctors said there is definitely lots of hope in what’s happening with your fiancée’s progress. You can clearly see the progress and the most important thing for you to do now is to continue to be there for him and support him in his recovery. Anybody who has been through this knows how much that matters. It’s impossible to know exactly what will happen next but if you have any specific questions please ask and somebody here will try to help. Best wishes and I hope things continue to improve for you.

4 Likes

Hi @Bubblesmum welcome to the forum full of stroke survivors. The best place for you to be right as you can read for yourself how we have all come through this life changing trauma :people_hugging:

I’d like to say it will get easier as it did for me. But no two strokes are identical so only time can truly tell.

But, it certainly sounds positive for your fiancè. It took many months for my speech to become clear and 3 years I’m still left with mild aphasia but nothing I can’t get by with. Same for my right side paralyses, that’s nearly 100% back to normal. Whats left of my stroke are nothing I can’t live or function with. So long as I pace myself even the fatigue doesn’t get me. I go to strength & balance class, gym, pilates, long walks, gardening, etc.

But mine was a mild stroke, and I’m retired so don’t have to worry about work.
Stroke recovery and rehab is a long and arduous process. Its a marathon not a sprint and requires a lot of repetition.

In the beginning there’s a lot of resting and sleeping as you do tire awfully quickly and frequently. Very draining in the beginning with brain fog, fatigue and frequent headaches, but it does improve over time, and requires a lot of patience. I say its the brains way of telling it needs a rest🙂

There’s an awful lot to be learnt by just searching this forum for others experiences. Just click on the magnifying glass up in the top right corner to bring up the search box.
In the meantime you need to take good care of your, good food and plenty of rest are in order for both of you. I wish you be well in your fiancè’s recovery and look forward to seeing you around the forum😀

2 Likes

Hi @Bubblesmum
Welcome but sorry you had Reason to join us.

Many people have trodden the path you are on and have recorded their experiences here - as emerald says using the magnifying glass above to search will turn up relevant posts.

Some of our collected experience is in Welcome - what we wish we’d heard at the start

It’s very very scary at the beginning. It stays scary for some but for many with time it improves greatly. This 4 minutes of video may help https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC9GO6zyMs7t9p2nJkwtYJDZkEeA_lD9d&si=LsaX5aNg_5tR--PY

You might also find 40 things to know helpful

Caio
Simon

1 Like

@Bubblesmum hi & welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your fiances stroke. It sounds like he is making good early progress which will hopefully continue as you move forward. It’ll take a lot of hard work but he certainly sounds determined enough.

Everyone’s recovery journey is different but there are similarities & searching around the forum will probably answer lots of the questions you might have.

Take care of yourself too as you’ll need all your strength to get through. Stroke affects not just the individual affected but all those around them too.

Sending my best wishes

Ann xx

1 Like

Hi. Welcome to the club none of us wanted to be members of. Sorry to hear about your fiancés stroke. It sounds as though he’s improving though and getting good treatment, but be prepared to buckle up for a long journey! I was only 55 when I had my stroke and 10 years later I’m still here, although still not 100 per cent.
Recovery is tricky to predict by anyone (including the professionals), but the first few months see the fastest improvement, accompanied a lot of the time, by crippling fatigue and mixed emotions. Be prepared for the outbursts of anger/frustration.

Most importantly, take care of yourself. If you need antidepressants, take them. If you need sleeping tablets, take them. Eat well. Get plenty of exercise. You will be need to be on hand to get your fiancé through this, especially in the early days.

If you need advice, we are always here to help.

Good luck :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

I think Minnie there has always been a bit of a stigma with anti depressants. Perhaps as there has with mental health. The old days of don’t show weakness,stiff upper lip, pull yourself together …etc etc
It’s only a chemical imbalance and I completely agree with you. Let them help in tough times and hopefully not need them for too long.

2 Likes

Speaking for myself, I would have been in a very bad place had I not been prescribed sleeping tablets and antidepressants in the early days of my stroke. I came off both after about two years, but was very grateful I had them at the time.

2 Likes

Hello and sorry to hear about your fiance. My husband had a major stroke in December with left sided paralysis. He spent 9 weeks in hospital and a rehab ward. He was incontinent and was being hoisted in and out of bed. I like you was having anxiety and panic attacks our world crashed around us. I got to the point i was scared of him coming home in case it happened again. He came home on Valentine’s day. He was able to walk with an aid but there was no movement in his left arm. Fast forward to now and we’ve settled into a routine. He goes up and down the stairs hes pretty much independent. Yes life is diffrrent but its still good. I’d say never give up hope. No matter what you’re told focus on recovery and tke any progress no matter how small. It sounds like he’s doing really well. I wish you and your fiance luck for your future together x

6 Likes

And I’d add from the perspective of three and a half years now constantly challenge the edge of ability and new capability will always develop
it goes at a snail’s pace but it adds up over time

Also look out for yourself and take every opportunity to recharge your batteries

Caio
Simon

1 Like

Hi I had my stroke 3.5yrs ago when I was 50, I lost my speech completely and struggled with my right hand amongst others things. Fast forward to last week and I was was walking across a rope bridge like I was on I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here :rofl: I know it’s frightening but it’s not the end, it’s just the beginning of a different journey for you both and that doesn’t have to be a bad thing :heart: Debbie

6 Likes

Wow wow wow. That’s a great achievement. I’d never have done that pre stroke never mind now.

A fantastic achievement & a fabulous photo xx

2 Likes

:smiley: I want to know where that bridge is 'cos I definitely want a go on it :laughing:

2 Likes

I shall cheer you all on from the sidelines :partying_face::partying_face:

2 Likes

Hi it’s The Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall it was fantastic and I certainly wasn’t fit enough to do it pre stroke!!

2 Likes

One to put on my bookit list, last time we were down there we stuck mainly to the west coast. So I can see how I missed that one :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Hi bubbles mum luckily I didn’t have such a major stroke as your fiancé but I was unable to do so many things at the start of my recovery journey that I can do now. The journey is a very slow process and it took me a long time to accept this fact but when I look back to where I was 15 months ago and where I am now there has been noticeable improvements. So my advice to you is just take it all one day at a time. Get your fiancé to practice whatever exercises he has been given as often as he feels welll enough to do so. Remember fatigue is a major issue. He must listen to his body but re doing exercises again and again helps the brain make new links and pathways. As a survivor I appreciate the effort it takes and your role is to carry on loving and supporting him. Please send him my best wishes and

2 Likes

Sorry pressed send when I hadn’t finished. The very best of luck to you both on this long journey. Set tiny goals and celebrate when they are achieved and keep a note of all the progress because you do forget and when the going gets tough it’s good to look back on. Many best wishes Suzywong

1 Like

Hi. I had 2 mini TIA’S 6 yrs ago when i was 39. I had nearly 7 months in both hospotal an rehab unit, in there i was in the electric wheelchair and worked with the physio, ot and speech therapist. 6 yrs down the line i still have rieduced movement and strength down the right side but im walking with my stick, cooking, cleaning etc and driving and im going to my local stroke group so please dont loose hope. Were all here and im sure that your local stroke group might be open too

1 Like

Hi @Cdale sounds like you have come a long way in 6 years although still a lot of issues that you’ve adapted to. It’s great for people to read that such big improvements can be made.

Can i ask, you say you had 2 TIAs but it sounds like they were full strokes given the lasting effects. did you go on to have a full stroke or were these your only events?

Best wishes to you

Ann

1 Like