Mindfullness

If you Google mindfulness for stroke there are quite a few articles on how the activity can help reduce spasticity and improve mood and productivity. I use a form of prayer/meditation/mindfulness myself.
It really helps improve my mood, but seems to do absolutely nothing for the spasticity, but some science based research shows that it is supposed to reduce this evil thing. Any of you have experiences?

4 Likes

I couldnā€™t prove anything of this, but at times I have been imagining moving my fingers one by one, when actually there was no response at all. The limb just hung completely unresposive.
Over time some of the ability to move has returned. Before the actual ability to move returned I could sense some sort of a connection, and I worked with this to ā€˜raiseā€™ each finger even though apparently nothing was happening. I believe this ā€˜phantomā€™ movement slowly built a working connection.
I have been trying a similar thing with my toes.
Something I have noticed is that the toe movement and the finger movement seem to be linked.
I have made some rudimentary advances but I have in no way regained total use of the stroked areas. Despite this I wonā€™t be giving up, and I am optimistic about gains I might make.

I think it is always useful to share our journey, our experiences and our thoughts.

Keep on keepinā€™ on
:smile: :+1:

2 Likes

Hey Bobbi: thanks for sharing. Iā€™ve heard of this mental imagery working for some if done in tandem with physical therapy. I have dreams where everything moves freely and Iā€™m jumping with joy. Thenā€¦you know the drill: you wake up.
After say 10 reps of an exercise, during my rest between sets Iā€™ll mentally image the move for 10 or 20 reps and then do another actual set. I need to get into this more to see if it helps.
All the best, Derek

4 Likes

@Outlander i havenā€™t tried any of those but would be interested to hear how you get on.

2 Likes

@Outlander
It hasnā€™t produced any instant results, just indications over time. I may be kidding myself.
Iā€™ll still do it though, in hope, gently, every now and again.

. . . and visualising stuff can be useful in many ways.

The mind, if that is what it is that goes on in the brain, is a mysterious and many sided elephant.

3 Likes

Bobbi and Mrs. they say that that absolute best repetitions are those of which you are doing something you love: Painting, playing an instrument, planting, playing board games like checkers, scrabble, Hanging clothes on the line on a summer day, I even like cleaning the bathroom. I still have a hard time with shirt buttons, maybe because I donā€™t love it?

5 Likes

When I first visited here, someone had shared 7 cups. I went there and found many mindfulness, meditation practices. It is a free (or paid if you want to) program for mental health issues. I became so anxious and depressed even after so much progress because I wasnā€™t ā€œmeā€. It took me awhile to find my way back here. 7 cups helped with activities, others to talk with, information regarding mental health. I am finding this a bit more helpful because it is specific to stroke, though, but the disabilities and 50+ groups there are close. They are bigger so offer many different programs.

3 Likes

@DeAnn Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

3 reps on the Crutches

2 Likes

Thxs for helpful information

2 Likes

@Outlander

I think that mindfulness is as it says on the tin about your and by your I mean your individual mind and how you treat it.

I also find that it has no physical effect on my actual real limitations physically - but it improves my mood so so much. Thatā€™s just me.

Each to theor own and I wonā€™t bash on but Iā€™m sure where many people can imagine where my mind goes to be full :rofl:

stay cool :polar_bear: :wink:

1 Like

@KGB
Another study demonstrated that a 2-week home-based mindfulness intervention was feasible among chronic stroke survivors with spasticity). There were preliminary effects for decreasing spasticity and increasing quality of lifeā€¦so they say
National Institute of health.
My biggest problem is spasticity. I continue to search for relief.
Peace; Derek

2 Likes

Cheers Derek

Stay cool :wink: :polar_bear:

Praise God and pray along with meditation

1 Like