Man with Two Brains

Hello, my name is Dave and thought that I would share my story. I suffered a left cerebellar stroke in September 2021 while watching television. Just one month after being discharged by my oncologist 5 years after a throat cancer diagnosis and treatment and a couple of weeks after a friend died from a stroke. So it was a big shock and the trauma was made worse by the 6.5 hour wait for an ambulance and 11.5 hour wait in A&E for diagnosis and treatment. It has been a strange journey; I had aphasia and ataxia in the beginning but I mostly felt that my mind was still intact even though I could not communicate too well in the beginning. It took me a few days to get over the initial shock and I knew about neuroplasticity and worked hard to try and regain control of my balance and leg coordination. I was discharged from the Stroke Unit after a couple of weeks and returned home, for several weeks I had a regular visit from a physiotherapist before she was happy with my progress. I still suffer with vision problems and the occasional balance challenge. So far, I have faceplanted a brick wall smashing my nose and top lip, damaged my foot when I became overconfident with my progress and fell from a ladder. What I find really strange is that I feel that I have two brains; one is damaged and one is the same as it has always been. Brain fog descends occasionally and I cannot remember a word or name but I can reel off my credit card number, bank account number, my NHS number etc., from memory (which most people apparently cannot do). Even though I have what my GP calls ‘complex medical conditions’ I try to work with my limitations, push my boundaries and stay positive on the basis that a positive mental attitude helps expand my physical limitations. Despite all that happened, I feel lucky that I have survived and progressed and retain much of what I had before and I appreciate that many people are not so fortunate. By the way I am 74 years old, kind of retired but still computing and running a small business. I am interested to hear if other people have experienced the same kind of duality. Thanks for reading.

6 Likes

Interesting read, Dave

There’s nothing right with my left brain, and nothing left in my right brain.
I call my 2 halves Roland & Ronald. They coexist. In a few days time Roland is going to teach Ronald how to swim. If they both drown, I won’t be letting you know how it went & if 1 survives, so will the other.

Ciao, and good luck, Roland (and Ronald)

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum - sorry you’ve had caused

Caio
Simon

Shwmae Dave, I am a fellow cerebellar stroke rewirer, you are in fact a man with three brains, the cerebrum, the cerebellum, and the gut. Although, all work together. I share your balance and vision issues, cognitive visual-spatial problems … have an uncanny memory for numbers too, which was absent before stroke, but am quite good with words and names. I substituted my working memory problems with associative memory skills very early on after stroke, so trimmed an overgrown pathway, that my brain now uses to its satisfaction and sometimes detriment.

4 Likes

Hello Roland, your story was also an interesting read. I was lucky enough to know about neuroplasticity before my stroke and once the initial shock was over I was determined to work my limbs hard. My limb problems were really only balance and coordination so I never lost sensory or motor functions just control.
I still have vision and hearing problems but I get around OK.
I saw my scan and I am still amazed at how big the infarct is and wonder how I can function with a large part of my cerebellum mortified. I guess the old myth about humans only using 10% of their brains could be true!
Could Roland swim before your stroke?
Best Wishes
Dave

4 Likes

Yes, Dave, a certain amount is working with limbs, stimulating feeling, and a certain amount is dealing with neurological pain… what am I saying? It’s all brain work that goes on ! Yes, Roland is a good swimmer ; and a demanding teacher !

Your acuity with numbers is akin to my insight I gained understanding the emotional mood in a musical phrase. My profession was concert violinist, but luckily I have many interests. Also, I hated soup before my stroke, now I love it !!

ciao, Roland

4 Likes

Aye, I wouldn’t go near soup before stroke, now adore it, even crave it sometimes.

3 Likes

Hi @Dave_Bee and thank you for sharing your story. An interesting concept of 2 brains. I’d never thought of it like that.

Like you i get brain fog & can forget the simplest of things but I too can reel off all those numbers. I put it down to having to quote them so many times but I also had a good memory for numbers pre stroke.

Good to hear you are doing ok.

Best wishes

Ann

2 Likes