Left or Right

I was wondering what side our dear members were affected on by this awful thing of ours and if you were affected on the dominant side. I was affected on my dominant side.
This was the side holding all my gifts and talents: Art, Music, Carpentry, etc.
If you were affected on the dominant, how much of a help is your other side?
For me it just a rather weak helper and I wish I was ambidextrous.
But perhaps some of you find that less dominant side a huge help?

5 Likes

Right (dominant) for me. Hate it as my hobby is Acrylic art, and I haven’t been able to pour (yes - I said pour) a painting since late July.
Left arm works better than I thought it would. Tried writing while I was in hospital and one of the nurses thought a doctor had left a prescription lying around. I couldn’t make it out either and I wrote it!

5 Likes

I am left side (non dominant) affected. That did give me some advantages but I did try doing everything with my left side as part of my rehab. For example I took up colouring & did all of it left handed. It wasn’t great & took an age but I persevered & I now have most of the use of my arm ( or I did until I got a frozen shoulder). My left leg on the other hand still doesn’t work as it should.

5 Likes

@Mrs5K thanks for the info. Keep up the good fight.

@BobQ1 I have trouble writing as well…like a child.
I can acrylic paint with two hands, the left steadies the right. I spent two weeks on this one:

12 Likes

My non dominant left is affected which means that I can do most of my everyday tasks ok using my dominant right. Artistically though I’m in trouble because I need both hands to play guitar. I am slowly re-learning to play but it’s a very difficult process. My right hand isn’t much help to to my left side because they both need to work separately in unison.

6 Likes

Dominant (right) side, but either side would have been fatal for a violinist.
I am going to do some watercolours using both; I started today.

I need to use what’s left, especially; 2 good ears. 2 eyes (one with problems)
My left hand has learnt how to type, and writes a lot better than it used to a year ago
Good luck all, Roland

6 Likes

That’s very impressive

3 Likes

@Strings Good luck with that guitar…keep at it.
@pando I can’t wait til’ you are back on your lovely violin.
@Nigelglos Thanks so much my friend.

4 Likes

Absolutely stunning, especially as 2 hands were used on the brush. I’m amazed.

2 Likes

I’m left side affected and left handed. I like being left handed so I’m working hard to recover. It’s a right handed world though so not too difficult meantime.

3 Likes

Welcome to the right handed world!
I am currently joining the LEFT handed world.

2 Likes

I’m left side affected but right handed so don’t struggle too much.

I am a horse rider so both hands are quite useful. Luckily I have a horse that stops when you whistle. so not too much danger of galloping off into the far distance. Can’t really afford to lose more brain cells by falling off on my head !!

5 Likes

I’m left side affected (non dominant), so although my right arm can do most things on a daily basis, it does mean that it does the work of two :pensive:. I am amazed to read of the things that some of you can do with your affected arms. I’m 6 years post stroke and despite doing regular exercises and trying all sorts of equipment, I still have very little movement in my arm and hand :cry:.

Keep up the good work everyone, enjoying reading all of your achievements :clap: :clap:.

Regards Sue

4 Likes

I was right dominant side affected but I’m reasonably ambidextrous so didn’t miss my right hand too much. But it was the 2 handed tasks that frustrated me the most :confounded: And despite my left hand’s dexterity, it’s not enough to wield a sewing needle :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

And I love that painting by the way :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Cor… I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Booooo. :roll_eyes:
Thought I’d get that one in before anyone else,

3 Likes

It’s not as good as my right hand was, but it helped :sweat_smile: it’s all about mind over matter and it comes in useful at times when you need a second hand :wink: :laughing:

2 Likes

Mine was left side and I’m right handed like @clibbers1 but I never had problems with use of hands, legs etc., mine was more mental and forgetting things - it’s a good job I haven’t got a horse or it would be making it’s own way home :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Amazing! What a fantastic skill @Outlander !

1 Like

@Bert Thanks Much.
I pray for and send best wishes to those who have had cognitive issues. I’m very lucky to have escaped said issues.

2 Likes

If your problem is forgetting things, how do you KNOW you haven’t got a horse? :grinning:

2 Likes