Keeping healthy weight on a low cholesterol diet

My husband had a stroke at the end of April this year. He is doing well. Through lifestyle changes he has got his cholesterol down from 7.6 to 3.1. However he has lost a stone since then, which he really didn’t need to lose. He is still losing weight, and I am at a loss what to do.

2 Likes

@FenlandSparrow welcome to the forum, the best place for advice. i would suggest contacting his gp might be something else going on

Yes, thats all been checked. Its down to the change in diet, and still running three times a week, walking at least 10000 steps every other day, gardening …
Hewont reduce his exercise, i just need toget some calories in to him, without much sugar or salt or saturated fats

1 Like

@chris67 I love your answer but I evidently gave too much love overnight!

@FenlandSparrow Maybe try a nutritional supplement. Here it is Ensure, unsure what it is called there, as I am in USA

1 Like

A classic post stroke dietary supplement is complan it’s milk based though which doesn’t match everyone’s wants - there’s plenty of other supplements on (ok so it’s a cancer not stroke site but…)

1 Like

It’s called ensure here too

1 Like

@FenlandSparrow welcome to the group. Sorry your husband had a stroke but good to hear he’s doing well.

I too have lost too much weight after my stroke. I am currentky on Ensure Plus supplement drinks. They are juice drinks and low in fat so may help. But i would suggest asking GP to refer to a dietician who can advise the best thing for someone who is also trying to manage their cholesterol.

The other thing worth looking at is Marvel dried skimmed milk powder which can be added to drinks, yoghurts etc.

Best wishes

Ann

1 Like

Thank you, thats great advice

1 Like

So he’s basically burning more fuel than he’s taking onboard and starving his muscle mass. With all that physical activity he needs more fuel…more food, particularly proteins to feed his muscles. Increase his portions particularly on days of high activity.

• EGGS. …
  • FISH LIKE SALMON, TUNA AND TILAPIA. …
  • WHEY PROTEIN. …
  • APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. …
  • MEATS (LIKE LEAN BEEF AND CHICKEN BREAST) …
  • BROWN RICE.

Muscle atrophy after stroke causes a decrease in muscle mass. This leads to decreased strength and increased risk of injury.

10 BEST FOODS TO LOSE FAT AND BUILD MUSCLE

https://www.asweetpeachef.com/best-foods-to-lose-fat/

I lost over 2½stone post stroke that I couldn’t afford to lose, but I’m also diabetic so have to avoid hypo’s. Since I started doing cardio and weights, particularly the days I both together, I always increase my food portions, carry a bag of nuts around along with my glucose tablets and sometimes a bit of chocolate :wink:

1 Like