It’s taken me nearly 2 years to come here and face up to my stroke. Sorry this may be a long one!

Hi Deb,

It’s great that you bonded so well with your mum. Naturally you didn’t know how it would go, I have often been nervous about meeting my Uncle & Aunt after my stroke, but they were chilled. Again, my uncle though that 4 hours a day in the gym would suffice to get my life back ! I wished it were that simple !!

Great you are starting to think creatively ; something to keep you grounded, and an outlet for your expression. I do some watercolours, now and then, here’s a few that I have had to do left handed (though my dominant hand is right)

I’ve had a few months off, concentrating on rehab, and a bit worried my foot is really slowing me down, lately. I also teach 2/3 violin students a day (alas, I cannot play for the moment) but it keeps me connected with students, and feeling useful… though I feel less capable / less desirable as a human being, in general / silly me : my Chinese Dr. would say “man up!”

I hope you eventually have to endure less hospital time… and settle down more and more, Cheerio, Roland

7 Likes

Roland

Your painting is beautiful :heart_eyes: I’m afraid my art isn’t quite as good :joy:I’ve promised one of my sons a big canvas for his new flat, so I’m working up to it. Will let you know when it’s done. Sounds as though you’re going to be up to doing so much more soon as I get the impression that you’re not one to stand still for long.

Deb

6 Likes

Actually Deb,

I wish I could stand still !!!
I work very hard ; my physio says she knows no-one who works harder.
Yet I still can’t walk ; but that just makes me work harder !!!
I’m also writing a book on my stroke, and 3 or 4 of the stories I have copied over to this Forum. Basically anything that I think will help, or inspire others.

I look forward to viewing your work !!
ciao, ciao, Roland

6 Likes

Hi @DillyDewdrop ,

So many of us here empathise with your story. The days when I’m feeling down or scared I concentrate on thinking of the things I can do ( speak to my kids, spend time with my gorgeous wife, study the stars …. Etc. etc.) and if all else fails to get me out of a dark place I listen to the song ‘Yama o hyd’ a Welsh anthem whose title means “we’re still here”. ( this might be a very specific help just for us Welsh :grin:).

Maybe we should form a choir of stroke survivors and release a version ourselves ?( this sounds very Welsh of me …. The answer to any difficult situation is ‘form a choir’ :rofl:).

Anyway, as others have said - you are not alone and this is a great forum to share how you are feeling and get help.

I can also highly recommend psychotherapy. I was feeling really low after my stroke a couple of years ago (Christmas day 2021 !!) , talking to a professional once a week has been and continues to be a great help.

5 Likes

Hey Keith

Sounds like you’ve got at great support network at home and have your coping techniques down. (you wouldn’t want me in your choir, can’t sing :joy:). I personally watch comedy on YouTube. Nothing like a good laugh.

I did have 12 sessions with a psychologist but I had flu for much of it and I felt like all we did was talk about how I was doing that day. If I’m honest, I’m not used to talking about me as for much of my life it’s been about my kids or husband. I think that’s part of the reason why it’s taken me so long to come on this platform and now you probably won’t be able to shut me up :joy::joy:

I feel incredibly selfish rambling on about myself when we are all in the same boat. I will learn quickly.

Thank you :smiling_face:

Deb

5 Likes

Roland

Technically learning how to walk is torture I know but like you said you ‘just work harder’ and that is all you can do to reach that goal. I was in hospital having physio, bouncing off of corridor walls as I kept getting distracted. (Actually being nosy as people passed by!) I am still nosey and consequently stumble around like I’ve had one too many :joy:

It took time, but one day I decided, this is the new me and I’ll keep working to improve.

It takes time, but one day you will gain control.

Deb

5 Likes

Hi @DillyDewdrop
Like everybody says welcoming someone to the group: sorry to hear about your stroke, but so nice to know you are capable of being here and meet you!
Im fairly new here, my stroke was on feb 4.
I really feel that Im part of a new very exclusive club of people who have survived this and I feel in an strange way unique in this world.
I know I have so much to go through still but knowing so many good people here is just a lot of support that will help me ho trough all of it.

I get what you say about people not understanding what we are going through. My girlfriend was one of them as she really didn’t know anything at all and when I showed the entries in this blog and te responses I get from members, she began to understand and started to be way kinder and supportive.

This forum is a great way to know thing about strokes beyond the medical approach, so you will learn a lot from everybody as well as we will learn from you because you are an expert now in your own and unique recovery story so thanks a lot for sharing.

Best for you and all #strokewarriors

6 Likes

Hi Roccello

Oh my gosh, you really are new to this my fellow warrior! It’s great that your partner has a better understanding now with help from this forum. The support from our loved ones is crucial in this bumpy journey.
Looking ahead and willing to listen and learn from all.

Deb

5 Likes

This is what counselling is about and it is partly what this forum is about so no need to apologise for rambling. Don’t forget that any and all your contributions on here are helping someone else. You may not realise it but there also those on the forum can only read, don’t have the ability or cognition yet to post themselves. I was one of those myself for about a year after my stroke and these posts gave me hope! All these folk on here were in the same boat as me and now they are on here “rambling” away, showing me the possibilities for my own future.
And here I am now, rambling away just like your good self :grin: :people_hugging:

7 Likes

@EmeraldEyes @DillyDewdrop

Well spoken.

What you say is at the heart of why I visit this forum regularly. I’m sure sharing experience on here is useful to both reader and writer alike.

Long may it continue this way and thank you to the Stroke Association for providing this Forum, a truly valuable resource.

I’ve said what I am about to a number of times before. The words ‘Stroke Warrior’ do not sit comfortably with me. As someone who grew up in a post war environment I just don’t like the associations and plastering over the reality with words like medals, glory and bravery just leaves me feeling uncomfortable. I prefer to not hide away from the truth. Lies do not lead towards healing.

Warriors are aggressive by nature and bring death and destruction. They are happy to die on command for what could well be a cause they do not even understand.

I know mine is not a popular sentiment, so I will pipe down now, but first I’d like to suggest an alternative that I feel does have merit.

You’ve been talking about rambling, a pursuit of which I heartily approve. Whether the ramble is aimless or has a goal in mind it is all good as far as I’m concerned.

So how about Stroke Rambler, rather than stroke warrior? Please go where you will and speak your truth bravely.

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :laughing: :+1:

Lots of love from an elderly peacenik.
:heart:

5 Likes

Hi @Bobbi
I saw you use the term in another post today

and was surprised so went back and revisited your previous post

so interested that you make the point again.

I’ve taken to using #StrokeThriver (Not my invention but my appropriation from elsewhere) because I figure if one person says they are sensitive to it then others may be too and communication that shares thoughts well is hard at the best of times

I have to say all the connotations you attach are the antithesis of what associations are conjured in my mind by the use of the term in this context. To me it says: perseverance in the face of challenge, shared strife, camaraderie in a common pursuit, overcoming adversity, … In fact all admirable qualities. The negative is attach to ‘invader’ or ‘raider’ or mercenary, terrorist, perhaps jihad? Although I’m aware that last one is probably ‘made bad’ by press that follows one religion and has different emotional links in other cultures.

The emotions conjured by words is part of what shapes culture (behaviour the ‘group’ accept and mark as ‘belonging’ and ‘with in norms’) when shared.

War-iors persure victory over the unjust, they fight-the-good-fight, etc. Although it’s ironic that opposite sides are driven by ideology, often religion that claims ‘absolute truth’ through ‘faith’ - we IMHO have a more objectively victory to share pursuit of

Caio
Simon

4 Likes

Stroke Warrior … Stroke Survivor … all well established phrases in post stroke nomenclature, even with dedicated t-shirts and other merchandise. At the moment, I see myself as a cognitive technician who is rewiring instead of rebuilding or recovering. I do get the principle of Stroke Warrior as I refer to tapping into my inner Viking or inner pirate when times are tough and I am in an imaginary battle of some sort, usually with myself. Funnily enough, as warrior is cognate with war, ramble is cognate with ram, particularly during mating season when they would lock horns with each other in fierce opposition to dominate the breeding ground. To do this the rams would ramble around to find a mate or threatening male.

5 Likes

Or a Sparky which is another name for electrician and we’ve got a lot of electrical work going on in our heads :laughing:

4 Likes

Stroke Sparky :rofl: That’s brilliant.

5 Likes

Yep, all you need to do is keep them sparky’s 'plied with tea or coffee to keep them happy :wink: :laughing:

5 Likes

Ply me with coffee or tea…keeps me happy, for sure!

4 Likes

Apologies Bobby, I did not wish to evoke negative feelings for anyone. I simply wished to explain that I have been pushing my mind and body to do what it no longer wants to do. Even though I’m not at ‘rambling’ stage yet, I will certainly be more thoughtful with my words.

Deb

2 Likes

@DillyDewdrop

hi Deb
There is really no need to apologise. This forum gives you a chance to speak your truth and you must do just that.
I suppose there will be times when opinions differ but that does not mean opinions should not be expressed.
If I encounter an idea which does not tally with mine, I always think it is worth examining because there could be something to learn.
I am in many ways ignorant and I think I can never reach a point when I know it all.
So please don’t apologise and I hope you will feel free to speak as you find.
I take no offence hoping that equally I cause none either.

Bob

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smile: :+1:

4 Likes

I must have missed something. I never came across anything amiss, nor did I see Bobbi even disagree with you. But whatever it was…you are encouraged to speak it, as Bobbi has mentioned. Being truthful with your feelings and experiences can be so helpful to others as well as for you. Everyday is not a cake walk, and we shouldn’t pretend it is.

I will only take issue if you are negative every minute and just want to whine about it. I haven’t seen anyone here like that. Some days I am both of those things, but try to keep the whining and negativity at bay by remembering what is good. Well, I should say getting a reminder of what is good. People here remind me of that often! I guess you know I had a stroke or two…my short term memory is a bit off so I need reminders often.

3 Likes

Hi there I’m now 16 months post stroke. Luckily mine didn’t need surgery but it’s still been debilitating. All my right side was affected which is my dominant side but I have learned how to use my left side to better help things. All we can do is take one day at a time, keep exercising and try to retire our brains. Listen to our bodies and battle on. It’s such a slow process but please keep on trying. Things will slowly improve and it sounds like you have a fab supportive family . Good luck !! Love suzywong

5 Likes