I am concerned about the notion of 'warrior' especially in the phrase 'stroke warrior'

Warriors attack, assault, tear down and destroy.
They turn their surroundings into a battleground.
Their goal is undoing.
If they build, it is as a staging post, a weapon for further destruction, havoc and demolition.

I would prefer to avoid finding myself in or sharing such a war zone.

Glory or bounty is not my goal.
I have no desire to cultivate anger.

3 Likes

I always thought ā€œStrokeesā€ was a nice (funny) name for us :grin:.

2 Likes

Battle is used all the time for illnesses.
Totally inappropriate

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if this subject warrants itā€™s own post!

I think everyone is entitled to use whatever term they want and we shouldnā€™t be judgemental. We donā€™t want people stressing about what people think of their terminology, grammar, spelling etc.

Sometimes these things are better kept to yourself.

That is of course purely my personal point of view and certainly not a firm directive :rofl:.

5 Likes

Often, Iā€™ve seen my stroke(call me crazy) as an evil entity, and if it were a person and I had the strength, I would beat the heck out of him like a warrior. Pure fantasy, I know, but every time I workout (exercise), I feel I am in a battle. In the book ā€œstronger after strokeā€, the author mentions anger( at our condition) as a good incentive to work hard, if the feeling comes up.
BUTā€¦we must be gentle with ourselves as we move through our daily lives.
Like a ā€œStroke Samuraiā€ā€¦howā€™s that??

5 Likes

Love the idea of a Stroke Samurai :grin:

4 Likes

There is a huge charity called ā€œWounded Warriorsā€ for veterans.

3 Likes

Iā€™m just going to be honest here and say they all just make me cringe.
I never really was one for labels.

I know a few days ago, whatever I was trying to get out at the time in my aphasia group it came out as ā€œstrokersā€ and they seemed to like that wordā€¦so that went down well :laughing:

5 Likes

How about ā€˜Stroke Championā€™ as someone who has had a stroke but wants to get better and help others get better?
When I was at work I was given the title ā€˜Print Championā€™. That meant I was good with printing issues and was the person who others could call on to help with their print issues.

3 Likes

Agree with you, hate all the ā€˜labelsā€™, but stroker is the worst. Iā€™m just me, trying to get through one rubbish day after another, calling myself a warrior is just ridiculous, arenā€™t warriors supposed to win their battles once in a while ?

3 Likes

This is an interesting subject because it helps to uncover the different ways we see ourselves and the position in which we find ourselves.
I dislike labels but accept that others find them necessary or comforting. So as long as I donā€™t have to wear them I myself I donā€™t mind until somebody tries to pin one on me. I cringe at the thought of being a ā€˜warriorā€™ and as well as suggesting a murderous tribal fighter to me it also makes me think of those eco warrior idiots who glue themselves to bridges and such like. Try as I might I canā€™t see how that kind of imagery relates to my situation. I have actually tried to think of a suitable decsciptive word but I canā€™t find one that fits. Iā€™ve considered other oft used words and although Iā€™donā€™t think of myself as a ā€˜victimā€™ I suppose I am a ā€˜survivorā€™ because my stroke didnā€™t kill me, ā€˜Strokersā€™ just makes me think of pet owners. I rather like ā€˜Strokiesā€™ because itā€™s sort of non specific and does have a comedic element to it. Iā€™ll continue my search because there has to be something really amusing and suitable which hasnā€™t yet occured to me.

3 Likes

I am inclined to withdraw a little way from the discussion I have initiated here.

. . . but first I will add just an indication of one possible alternative to the angry, disruptive , smash everything, ā€˜fighterā€™ reaction to our condition. As much as change is sometimes advantageous, staying still can also be productive.

My offering is a creative, forward looking response. It involves quiet, evolving a plan and building, rather than knee jerk smart and fast answers plucked from here and there.

If a thing is worth doing it is worth doing well. It takes time to create a solid edifice, lasting and worthy. Working together with an agreed direction and end can produce such a thing. Chucking together a few random ideas is no foundation for a long term and useful project.

Of course these are only my thoughts, unimportant, maybe better ignored. Perhaps I should not waste space here expressing myself, but I put it to you that I should say what I think openly.

As should you and those others whoever they are joining us on this forum. In this place speaking out should be encouraged, whether we agree or disagree, I strongly believe we should all be able to speak our truth.

Maybe it would be better to not define oneself in terms of stroke. Why strive to be ā€˜a stroke thisā€™ or ā€˜a stroke thatā€™ when without too much effort we can simply be whom we are, not needing to fit into such predefined shackles? Just accepting the freedom and responsibility of dealing with life in oneā€™s own way on oneā€™s own terms?

To those aiming to ā€˜fight the good fightā€™ I wish you well.

Keep on keepinā€™ on
:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

2 Likes

It is 11.5Ā°C at 6.45 am
but I must say this before it slips away.

We are not the result of a stroke - we are much more than this.

We will be who we are, come what may.

Keep on keepinā€™ on
:writing_hand: :laughing: :+1:

1 Like

@Bobbi Seen as a state of mind it is certainly more appealing. Zen and the art of Strokism :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I prefer a positive, constructive attitude.
Bobbi the Builder, perhaps?

I would like my work tools to be pacific not martial.

Surely that is more than enough from me for now.

Keep on keepinā€™ on
:writing_hand: :laughing: :+1:

1 Like

100% agreed - more at the endā€¦

And again :100:% agree
And currently I canā€™t - even referencing the welcome post to new joiners gets me a ā€˜private advisory about ā€œwill be considered spammingā€ā€™!!

Yes - This matches at my outlook

Agreed

Ditto

And if you look at twitter (now X) hashtags and elsewhere youā€™ll see it can refer to something other than pets

Iā€™m still searching.

#StrokeWarrior - IMHO - has in its favour that is inclusive of carers and family & friends as well as survivor. It conveys camaraderie between those with a need to fight their afflictions and it conveys constant battle everyday - Which for many of us is an ever present element. Note #StrokeWarrior AFAIAC is not the same as stroke warrior.

I donā€™t like a survivor, it seems to wrap me up as defined and pigeonholed. It was an event so survived works but it isnā€™t now my whole future.

I certainly donā€™t like patient. That has a subservant or parent child connotation with them medical profession whose clarity of vision about our condition already has so many shortcomings. Iā€™m not ill. Bits of me are permanently broken. Iā€™m developing compensations

say what is in your head in your words. Realise it wonā€™t add up to the same things that when it gets into somebody elseā€™s head - normally thereā€™s more noise than signal. More importantly realise what you hear or read may not have been what the speaker or author meant at all - I have an acronym that helps here but not in this post

Iā€™ll write more, after Friday, on the last point -which was the first point.
I had a conversation this week in which ā€œtightening the rulesā€ was mentioned as an aspiration - IMHO that is a mistake which impacts culture and thus community.
As some of you will know IMHO the better path is ā€œincrease the tolerance & acceptance of diversityā€ - This I feel needs a quorum of moderators from within our community who are responsible for our culture - and to tie it back to the beginning much of culture is expressed in the vocabulary shared and the vocabulary establishes and anchors or shifts culture

2Ā¢
Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

This morning in Edinburgh

4 Likes

SAFUs? Stroke Association Forum Users.

2 Likes

Appropriately similar to a well known military acronym!

2 Likes

@Ingo66 The military acronym you mention does actually fit quite well my personal continued state of existence :rofl:

2 Likes