Introducing myself

Hi. I am new on this forum. I had my stroke (hemmoragic) 3 months ago. Although grateful to be fairly mobile. I am struggling with the emotional side of the stroke. Looking forward to reading all your posts.

3 Likes

Hi
I said “hello & welcome” on your other post :slight_smile: but I didn’t say that there’s a lot of posts about the emotional effects on here - you’ll turn them up with the magnifying glass if you search :slight_smile: & if you write about how your experiences affect your others will chip in :slight_smile:

Many of us find out regulator seems broken post stroke, also folk can’t see this aspect so discount it :frowning:
It may get better on its own, you might seek things like talking therapies and or learn to spot & manage triggers

Caio
Simon

2 Likes

Hi @Osttyrol I too said hi on your other pist which I came across first.

I hope you find the information & posts om this forum helpful. A lot of people struggle with emotions after a stroke but tye majority of us find it does settle after a while. Be patient with yourself it takes time but it should all start to improve.

Best wishes

Ann

3 Likes

Hi @Osttyrol and welcome to the forum :people_hugging:
We were all similar emotionally at the start of our stroke recovery journey. Give it another 3 months and it should settle down. Of course if it is more concerning see your gp about looking into therapy and self help practices such as mindfulness. There are a lot of post on here regarding that which you can find through the search bar above :mag: I look forward to seeing you around the forum :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi–don’t worry–your experience with emotion is very usual after a stroke. In fact, it is so typical that it is to be expected. When I was in the hospital after my stroke, they gave us a talk and literature about what to expect. And top of the list was an explanation that stroke affected the emotional reactive part of the brain. Expect emotions to be very close to the surface. (I also had more anxiety and fear–not too surprising after a life-threatening experience.) One interesting aspect of this is that when something made me laugh, I laughed harder and it was harder to stop. So, all emotions were experienced quite deeply. I met with a counselor for several weeks to help me with the anxiety. After a time, this all settled down, and eventually I became my “old self”. Kind of miss the laughing part, though! :grin: Keep on keepin’ on. Things will get better. :heart:Jeanne

3 Likes

@Osttyrol

I’ll second what @axnr911 has to say about emotion just under the surface. Talking about something, which I still do a lot, I would suddenly start to blub like a child. Somehow though it was a great relief and if I let it have its way it left me feeling that a weight had been lifted from me. I think letting emotion flow can be a good thing but be kind to yourself and others.

My wife did not fuss or fret when I was like this and did not make me feel awkward or embarrassed. It was a phase I passed through and in many ways was not unpleasant.

The actual effects of a stroke are not something you can just ignore and in some way you have to deal with, come to terms with, what has happened. Spread over time you begin to find you have a life and a future. I’m in my third year and still finding my feet. I won’t say it is always easy but you do learn to cope better and it becomes less of a roller coaster of a ride. There are even nice things to look forward to. In addition over time your condition does improve.

May your journey be smooth, full of friendship and good things.

You have your whole life ahead of you.

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smile: :+1:

3 Likes