Improvement after 2 + 1/2 years

Hello. After encouragement from another forum member I wanted to share some recent improvement of my affected hand, more than 2 years after my stroke.
I lost all movement of my left hand for at least a couple of weeks, but it gradually returned to a point I could carry out all tasks in an adapted fashion.
Recently I have committed to buying some wool for knitting a whole jumper. Big needles, big wool, black Friday sale, all good.
Initially I was aware of really just clutching but nevertheless controlling the needle in my affected left hand. With repeated stitching, time after time, my left index finger is moving independently in a way I have not observed since before my stroke.
I believe that even though over 2 years have passed, my brain is still finding fixes. Coupled with a skill that I have always got immense pleasure from that I learnt as a child, the muscle memory is still there.
Step by step I will build on this, next time challenging myself with something a little more difficult…but I need to finish this one first! I have a back and half a sleeve so far.
It’s the time of year for it so I will knit on.
Hope this can provide some useful motivation, and it does cast further doubt on the idea that recovery reaches a finite point. Julia x

16 Likes

Great news!!

Keep on keepin’ on
:yarn: :grinning: :+1:

Keep us posted with your progress.

It is cheering to hear there is a future.

I’m about 1 3/4 years post stroke. Do I have to take up the needles next year?

3 Likes

Brilliant achievement, well done you :clap: Thank you for sharing. Always good to read a positive post.

Keep up the good work :clap:

Regards Sue

4 Likes

Hello @Bobbi. Needles not necessary, but something you enjoy, have a history with and is endlessly repetitive x

3 Likes

@JuliaH that’s fantastic news. So glad you are still finding improvements 2 years on & able to get back to a hobby you love.

Look forwardto hearing how you get on.

@Bobbi I also look forward to seeing to your first knitting attempt :grin::grin:

3 Likes

:partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: I so love celebrating folks achievements on here :clap: :clap: :clap: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :people_hugging:

I’ve always believed I achieved more in the way of rehabilitation and recovery by doing or attempting to do all the things that are familiar to me, as opposed to what OT/Physio offered. Yes, some of that was useful and necessary in the beginning, but it only played a small part and ditched within a couple months.

I don’t know about other folk, but I had such a short attention span in that first year. But I was more inclined to stick with something for longer when it was some something familiar to me. Like with coma patients, you play what is familiar to you, and what you love. You’re brain is more likely to wake up and switch on to those sort of activities.
And it all still takes time and effort but it’s worth it and the results more satisfying.

Keep it up Julia, I’d love to see the result of your efforts :smiley:

3 Likes

Go for it @JuliaH, I’ve been sewing to help with occulosmotr issues and it pays dividends. Not to mention it also pays for mending items in our current cost of living crisis. :grin:

3 Likes

Congrats ! Work put in results capitalised on

2 Likes

How are you progressing now

1 Like