I bought a new car today and my brain held up it's end throughout the process

It was time to bite the bullet before the vw golf left me stranded miles from home with a weeks worth of groceries in the boot…including frozen foods :cold_sweat:

:point_up_2: That’s how I thought I’d be at the car dealership today. Thought I’d look at cars, sit and smile and make very little small talk until it was time to go home. But my brain decided to surprise me today by giving me clarity and a tongue in my head that could string more than a few short simple sentences together for a change. :open_mouth:

Up until recently there was no way I could cope with all that buying a car entailed…all the talk, all the details, all the paperwork, which is now computerised, the part exchange and what that entailed when it comes to the actual exchange. The sales rep was sending posts to my phone and I had to send acknowledgements and codes back. All while my hubby and I sat at the guy’s desk at the show room. I did end up having to hand that over my phone to hubby because I forgot my reading glasses. :roll_eyes:

And all the while I sat there waiting for my brain to start unravelling and confusion to turn on me. Any minute now, I was going to have to hand over and make my escape outside. Normally that is instant, but I even managed to read at least half of the stuff he put up on the screen, contract, insurance, road tax and stuff like that. The fact was it wasn’t just a bunch of words on a screen making my eyes cross and brain to scramble, I could actually read with some clarity and understanding. Reading was still slow but I could do it without being fazed or confused. That sort of reading material is nothing like reading posts on a forum at my leisure :sweat_smile:

All the while, my brain wasn’t sure if it was going to have a headache or not. I kept waiting for that, even felt the brain squeeze, so something was going on. It’s still squeezing now and my tinnitus is being loud :roll_eyes: But I did it :grin:

We’ve bought a Ford C-Max, pick it up on Thursday :smile: Despite this day’s progress, I didn’t chance my luck testing driving it though, I left that to my hubby and I sat in the back :smile: He’ll take me out in it to a quiet part of the neighbourhood to test drive it at my leisure :blush:

13 Likes

Thats fantastic and happy new :red_car: :oncoming_automobile: xx

2 Likes

Well done. Happy motoring! :blue_car::red_car:

1 Like

Brilliant days work, well done you👏
Happy Motoring in your new car :red_car: :blush:
Regards Sue

1 Like

Well done @EmeraldEyes happy new car :blue_car:

1 Like

Always a nice feeling when you a buy new car. :grinning::+1:
We’re hoping to sell our tiny little hatchback 2nd car in the coming weeks and then buy something else a bit bigger. Only going be something cheap and cheerful but hoping a bigger 2nd car will help me getting behind the wheel again :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Hi Joey @stokiejoey ,
are you going auto on the “new” car?

1 Like

@llareggub Hey up rich. No mate we looking at manual like the family car 2008, but I’ve already been out twice in that last week with the wife. I put it in the wrong gear a few times, still early days but I’ll get there and it felt good driving again. I annoyed the missus cos I kind of went back into old habits, like coasting round corners, before putting it back into gear :wink::grinning:
We looking at getting something astra size or even bigger, anything has to be better than the Ford ka we have. It’s done us good and served it’s purpose( my wife used to be a community carer and was ideal for her at the time) she would now like similar size to the 2008 ideally but we’ll see

Just nice to be back driving. I’ll be out again in the evenings next week so beware people of north stoke -on-Trent :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
All the best mate

Joey :+1:

3 Likes

When I say new, I’m mean new to me :smile: This is a 7 year old where as my old jalopy is at least 16yrs old and on it’s last legs. And it’s roomier than the old one, which makes the kids happy as their heads won’t be touching the roof :smile:

4 Likes

Hey Joey @stokiejoey ,
great to hear that you’re back in the saddle (as it were). I’m also looking forward to being back in a manual but we’ll have to wait until I accurately know where my left foot is without having to see it as well as being able to feel the pressure on my foot to allow bite point control. I know that my wife can’t wait either as getting in and out of the Smart Brabus roadster is not the easiest for either of us.

Take care

Rich C.

2 Likes

I am so excited for you! The ‘new’ car is one thing, but getting through the process so well? Hallelujah!!! Watch out world, here she comes! Next thing you know, she will be touring the country doing Stroke talks in front of huge crowds of people needing more info!

1 Like

That sounds like quite a milestone you passed :slight_smile:

1 Like

well done @EmeraldEyes i am still jumping through hoops for the dvla to get my licence back, reason for it
1 stroke
2 heart attack
3 seizures
4 sleep apnoea
so had to have neurotology, cardiologist sleep and stroke consultants all say i am okay to drive, still have to wait, by the time i get it back i won’t be able to afford to drive due to London mayor extending ULEZ to outer London

1 Like

Yet more revenue grabs through stealth taxation for which we no representation. Signs of a decaying political system?

3 Likes

When I had my stroke, I sent my licence in to the DVLA because it was up for renewal anyway. I told them about the stroke, and they did their checks with hospital and gp. And then they just sent me the new one a year later, I was ok to drive again. But even then it took a couple more months before I felt ready to get back behind the wheel.

Half your problem with the DVLA is that they are so backed up…I thought the whole point of everyone going digital was to speed things up :smirk: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes, that’s why I put the post in the Aphasia category. It’s not so much about the new car, it’s the whole process of buying one and the details that requires that I’m more excited about. I don’t know which bit of me of my progress I’m more excited about, the speaking more clearly, words coming easier, no long embarrassing pauses while the brain scrambles for words that can slip smoothly enough over the tongue and fit through my mouth. Didn’t feel the need to apologies for my speech once or feel the need to explain why.

And then yesterday and my Strength & Class, the instructor was called away at the beginning so we had wait to start. Then suddenly a few women started coming up to me and asking if I could lead to the class started until the instructor got back:open_mouth: I’m the one who stands back and doesn’t talk much because I am self conscious about my speech to an extent and because of the effort it’s been to make such small talk…and too much conversation blows my mind. But I actually managed to speak loudly and clearly enough to be heard over the din and managed to get everyone marching round the hall. Though I don’t speak much, I’m quick to help the others who missed or misunderstood an instruction or struggle with things like ankle weights. So I think some of the newer folk see me as some sort of an assistant. For me, I just don’t like seeing people missing out because they’ve struggled.

My hubby, bless him, keeps checking in with me: do you want to do this or shall I", “do you still want to do this”, “want me to take over or are you still happy to carry on”. We’ve always shared the load 50/50 but since the stroke, naturally he’s had to take the mother load, so it’s lovely for him to be able to hand things back and he’s never once complained! And now he’s getting his wife back. :smile:

4 Likes

DVLA are backed up because they’ve been on strike / work to rule for ever

I surrendered my licence when I had my stroke and the road traffic act says that as long as you don’t have medical objection you can drive as soon as you apply & they have received the application. I haven’t actually started again but am nearing that point :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you then that you can get yourself back to it again soon :crossed_fingers:
It did take me months to drive further afield though and I’ve never been a great lover of motorways, to I leave them to the hubby :smile:

2 Likes

This is such a beautiful thing, I want to cry with joy for you and your husband!

1 Like

Another exciting piece of news! I am sure you will be driving soon.

1 Like