I am concerned about the notion of 'warrior' especially in the phrase 'stroke warrior'

I think without checking I can work it out. I never thought of that possibility but it’s painted a picture which is not going to go away :rofl:

I tried to start a #StrokeChat on Twitter after having for some years been regular participant in #PMChat - I kept finding pictures I didn’t want to turn up in my stream!

Yes!
Snafu was the communications corp’s abbreviation for “situation normal all F’d up”
That’s just tremendously apposite!

I don’t think we need a name or an acronym and maybe we just engage conversation in the lounge and those who want to join in do?
Ciao
Simonu

2 Likes

@SimonInEdinburgh Ok technically it’s only just snow, but it still counts.

4 Likes

I don’t see the word Warrior as a maurader or destroyer of some kind.
In the USA the Wounded Warrior project is about heroes who came back from war wounded and in need of charity.
I see my departed father as a warrior. He actually did D’Day and Dunkirk…Both.
King’s Own Scottish Borders.
It may not be the best term as you say. Let’s get creative.

3 Likes

Ive not posted for a while but I think the conversation you’ve opened up is a helpful one. I also dislike the ’ battle’ or " warrior" type language and never use it of myself. These days I rarely describe myself in terms of the stroke that injured me nearly 8 years ago. Of course the effects are ever present and I live with them on a daily basis. Im not interested in being a " fighter" or even a " survivor" although I do acknowledge that these epithets can be useful especially in the early days to keep up one’ s spirits in the tedious and exhausting process of both initial recovery and the coming to terms with what has happened. After 8 years I am reconciled to some extent with things that may not change much now. Not entirely reconciled, as I do maintain some hopes for small improvements or at least the avoidance of degeneration.
I’m glad you raised this topic, as it is definitely worth examining. The language is not to everyone’s taste and indeed for some at some stages may well be unhelpful (I count myself among those for whom it is an unhelpful way of speaking).
So thanks for raising an interesting and important topic. And very best wishes to you
Have a good Christmas when it arrives, and a fruitful New Year
Tony

4 Likes

I personally don’t mind these monikers we attach to our condition, but I do find the phrase mental health to be problematic as it assumes there is some sort of prevailing mental yardstick for what is considered a healthy mental state.

4 Likes

@Rups I completely agree. The term ‘mental health’ is used too much by medical professionals who really should know better. They throw the term around because it is a way of conveniently sidestepping the fact that they don’t actually understand the condition they are dealing with, but want to sound like they do. It is also used a lot by the police and the media who are fond of referring to someone as having ‘Mental Health Issues’. So there the term is used to conveniently describe or even accuse someone who is considered to be potentially dangerous. Then we get tagged with that same term.

3 Likes

I just came across a user on X on Twitter who describes herself as a “Stroke Thriver”
https://x.com/EmilyToplis?t=eEmXiS4jaPPW2mx2ABPo6g&s=09

2 Likes

Stroke Thriver is hard to say 5 times fast. a wee bit awkward, but a possibility.
I also like Stroke Rebel, the title of one of my favorite books.

2 Likes

Seems the search for the best term is ongoing…

2 Likes