Husband had a TIA … what happens now?

My husband (55) who is the fittest person I know , doesn’t smoke , rarely drinks exercises regularly isn’t over weight and is never sick !!! had a TIA early hours of Monday morning . We were completely unaware and he went to work . He suddenly collapsed when he got up for a wee at about 2am and couldn’t get up from where he fell … luckily he fell onto to the bed . I thought he was having a dream so shouted for him to wake up and open his eyes. Which he did finally and we both went back to sleep🫣. For the following 2 days he was disoriented, very wobbly , dizzy and a dull ache in his head . We thought he had vertigo or suddenly low blood pressure so finally on Wednesday after fighting with the GP receptionist he got an appointment with the Dr who immediately recognised that he was not well , straight to A&E and saw the stroke dr who has pumped him full of drugs , MRI , CT etc he has weakness on his left side . We are now in limbo and shock awaiting for the stroke clinic next week. He didn’t have any of the typical symptoms and we have no idea what’s next . The only thing we can think of is maybe stress . He is a frontline police officer of over 28years and could’ve actually retired by now but felt to young and fit to do so . This has knocked us both sideways we are in shock and are wondering what happens next … any advice would be great because we are completely in the dark and Dr Google is worst case scenarios

2 Likes

Hi @suzie1
Welcome. You’re story is NOT a surprise to those of us here. See Did ANYONE have classic FAST symptoms

Some of the answers you hint at not yet knowing the questions for are in Stroke welcome post

Have a read :slight_smile:

Most of us are having a reasonable recovery but it’s marathon not a sprint :frowning:

There’s a carer’s online cafe & a regular Thursday on details in Weekly Zoom Online ‘cafe’ (also Carers)

Caio
Simon

1 Like

Hi @Suzie1 welcome to the forum, the club no one wants to join. But now you are here, you’re very welcome to stay as this is just the place to find what comes next from those who live it.

Firstly though, absolutely no one is exempt from strokes, not even in the womb! Poor diet and lifestyle are just one of the many many causes including neck manipulation during a physio massage. As you say, stress is a likely cause for your husband’s stroke, but we are none of us are doctors here, it’s now down to his stroke doctor to figure out the rout cause his stroke.

Rest is what he needs right now and lots of it. His brain needs peace and quiet to repair the damage that’s been done. Too much activity and stimulation is going to fatigue him. It’s going to take 4 to 6 months at least, it all depends on the extent of the damage done. Good healthy diet, a bit of light exercise and keeping up with all his medications is about all that can be done in this early stage. Don’t stress yourself needlessly, you are both on your way out the woods now. You can breath now and thank your lucky stars it was caught was caught in time and he didn’t have a full blown stroke, that would have been so much harder on you both. :people_hugging:

If you use the search tool :mag: at the top, you’ll find lots more posts of TIA’s from other members. I myself had TIA’s 3yrs ago and my recovery is still a work in progress, though at this point I could probably manage going back to work if I wasn’t already retired :wink:

1 Like

From the symptoms you describe, sounds like a cerebellar TIA. Stroke can affect anybody, regardless of age and health. If it is a cerebellar TIA (I had six of them and then a stroke), I would look into a PFO check, this is a bubble study done at hospital, a painless procedure where they determine if there is a hole in the heart (30% or so of the population has one), and whether or not that needs to be closed. Cerebellar stroke can also be caused by neck or spine manipulation, sometimes as minimal a movement as reversing the car or turning one’s head on the pillow.

Before I rattle on too much about cerebellar stroke or TIA, do you know if the TIA occurred in the cerebellum? Cerebellar stroke does not usually display the typical symptoms, typical symptoms of cerebellar stroke or TIA are giddiness, balance issues, focus, nausea and vomiting. The good news is that a TIA will heal over time, and the bad news is that it is often a warning sign of a follow-up stroke. This can be prevented with medication et cetera.

2 Likes

Hi @Suzie1 & welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of your husbands TIA. I think we all appreciate the shock of it happening. I know i was at my fittest but still it happened.

It sounds like the right things are happening & whilst it may seem like too long to wait you’ll get more details at the Stroke appointment. If they haven’t been able to find an obvious cause from the scans already then make sure you ask them what other tests they will be doing. A lot of people get checked for PFO (hole in heart), carotid disections etc.

Until the appointment your husband probably needs to rest up a lot & just take things steady. Use the time to write down all the questions yiu have so you don’t forget to ask them. Yhings like what happens next, what can be done to stop it happening again, rehab plans etc.

Best wishes to you both

Ann x

3 Likes