Hospital Assessment

Hi there, I’m looking for a bit of help. My mum suffered a big post op stroke just over 6 weeks ago and has been on a stroke ward in hospital where she has received rehab from a physio, speech therapist and OT. She has suffered from extreme fatigue as well as recovering from a fractured hip (reason for op) and has been allowed no visitors so I feel that her mood has been very low which hasn’t helped rehab. However, the rehab team contacted me last week to advise that they plot my mums progress on a chart and after 6 weeks have come to the conclusion that she is at her maximum range of abilities according to the chart and are now looking to discharge her once she has had a Peg fitted. My mum has no use of her left arm and leg but her speech is ok and whilst she appears confused sometimes, she fully understands what’s going on.
I feel that they haven’t given my mum enough time to make this assessment at this stage and wondered if this is standard practice?
We now have to look for a nursing home as she lives alone and will need 24 hour care. I think with more rehab she may be able to improve more so that she can still live at home with carers but don’t know what to do.
Any comments/advice will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Thank you both for your comments and advice, it’s a lonely place at the moment so it is comforting to know I’m not alone.

1 Like

Hi I would say your mum would do better by being in a nursing home with 24 hour care. Even if you get 4 Visits a day at home she will be on her own for long periods. She needs to be interacting with people?
You need to speak to the team at the hospital as to we’re she is at with her rehabilitation and look for a home that is able to meet her needs with physio and OT and I am sure she will improve as they have more time at a nursing home than they do on a busy hospital ward. Good luck.

Thank you Dottie, I agree a care/nursing home would be better. X