Hope after stroke

Hi community,

Not sure how this works, but reaching out just for advice/guidance.

My MIL suffered a significant stroke on 17th February following a heart procedure.

She is still in intensive care in Kings London. There have been some signs of progression - can remember us, answer yes/no questions using thumbs up/down with right hand, is trying to speak, has opened her eyes slightly and is now off the ventilator.

We are all worried about the extent of the damage and what version of her we’ll get back/her quality of life. Not for us. We understand that would be hard. But for her and my FIL - he is in his 80’s.

I just feel like I/we need some hopeful stories of recovery and would appreciate anyone who could share anything inspirational with us. We remain optimistic as it is still early, but don’t have any experience of this to base this on.

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Hi @pcoogan1

Welcome to the community although I am sorry you have had cause to join us .

Yes there are many stories here of people who make sufficient progress on their journey post stroke to enjoy a fulfilling remainder of their life. Indeed they used to be some posts about how life post stroke with the realisation of how valuable it is was better than a pre-stroke although constrained in new ways .

while aimed at survivors rather than carers the Stroke welcome postis still relevant as are guidelines from Jill Taylor in 40 things to know: what would you underline add or delete

Search with the magnifying glass above youll find other relatives asked similar questions from both the time that you are in now through the subsequent months and thus you can see the journey that they took, fear and uncertainty at the beginning and the trials tribulations and victories as time progressed

Stroke recovery is men measured in months and years not days and weeks

Ciao
Simon

1 Like

@pcoogan1

I am approaching my 80’s.
As someone who has suffered a stroke (two years ago) I want to tell you, despite what you see, that is still her in there.

Time does heal, but the journey is long with no definite signs to say where you are.

There is friendship. care and concern to be found here on this forum.

It can be terrifying, mystifying, for all those affected. This is a good place to get it all out.

You are not alone.

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smile: :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks to both of you for your messages. So comforting to know there is support out there and it helps with the current feelings of isolation we’re experiencing. We appreciate it so much.

4 Likes

@pcoogan1 bi & welcome to the forum. Hopefully you’ll find it a great place for advice and support.

Sorry your MIL has had a severe stroke. As you say it is very early days for her yet but sounds like she is making some progress already. There are many on here who have rrcovery success stories & it sounds like there is hope for your MIL given she’s already progressed a bit. It may be a long journey in fact it probably will be as it is for most of us. It will require hard work but until she is ready for that hard work you xan do small things with her. Keep communicating with her & keep speaking to the consultants about what to expect & what you can do to help.

Best wishes to you all.

Ann x

2 Likes

ICommunication with the person who’s had a stroke is essential What is more essential, imho, is that communication should be in the same manner as it was previously. Inside they are the same person, so if you used to be flippant, carry on - it’s normal. If you used to talk about things that bored him/her to tears, carry on. That will be expected as well, (and you’ll have the advantage that they may not be able to complain.). I think the absolute worst thing anyone can do is sit by a stroke sufferer and talk about them to someone else, preferably when they’re flat on their back in hospital. I’ll bet everyone on this forum has seen it, Be you, and treat the “victim”as you always did.

4 Likes