Hi from new member

Hieveryone, i thouhht it would be polite to say hi before i start using this forum to my agvantage, im 57 years young and had a severe ischaemic stroke on xmas eve 2022 caused by an carotid artery disection probobably trigrred by the head and neck movements whilst plastering and painting a ceiling. I was left side hemiplegic but ive recovered pretty good leg movement albeit with an afo to walk outside. Left arm and hand is still a work in progress and non-functional. I had a thrombectomy in a hyperacute ward outside my health board area and spenta further 50 days in an acute ward and stroke rehab ward closer my home. I am fortunate enough to have hsdprivate physio since my discharge from outpatients and ive tried quite a few therapies and a couple of clinical trials in a bid to improve my arm use but its certainly a battle. Im using a smal keypad on a phone to type so apologies for any mistakes in my posts. Good luck to all. John.

6 Likes

Hi @khyber
Welcome but sorry you’ve had a reason to join us

You sound reasonably clued up :slight_smile: certainly asking questions and reading other people’s posts which can be focused by using the magnifying glass above to search for keywords is likely to broaden your horizons

At a guess - you are outside the UK¿? because of some of your description. But we run a zoom based cafe meetup at 1:00 p.m. UK time on Thursdays that you will be welcome at :slight_smile:
We have folk from the Southern hemisphere and the US at it and I’ve had others from around the globe at various times :slight_smile:

Few of us put stuff that is often asked or not realised would have been good to ask about in the welcome post

Doubtless others will say hi when they see your post

I’m doing this with speech to text using gboard on Android and the forum app on my phone I think it’s the most convenient interface because like you my hand is still a work in progress at 3 1/2 years. I’m having more progress now than I did in the first 18 months but still some way to go till it is equal to things such as cutlery and keyboards even swyped keyboards - that is no longer totally useless :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing more of your stories and your successes and if necessary your rants and shared needs for an empathetic understanding ear

Caio
Simon

4 Likes

Thanks simon for your kind welcome, im actually in a small country at the end of th M4 called wales, yoIm sorry i should probably have mentioned my location in my introduction but im not,and never was an online forum or social media user so im not practised in what to include in any posts etc something else i need to learn

4 Likes

:slight_smile:
I think it’s safe to say there is no protocol here that you have to abide by or other folk are going to get pissed off - do your own thing as you need :slight_smile:

Mae'r wlad fach honno ar ddiwedd yr M4 wedi cyfrannu sawl defnyddiwr arall fel @Rups y byddwch chi'n gweld yn wasgaredig o'u cyfraniadau gydag elfennau o'r Gymraeg wedi'u gwreiddio.

That small country at the end of the M4 has donated several other users such as @Rups who’s contributions you’ll find scattered about with elements of Welsh language embedded

Pull up a pew pich in

Caio
Simon

4 Likes

Hi John and welcome to this forum. We are a merry band of stroke survivors and their families and carers. We have suffered many different types of strokes and are all on very different roads to recovery.

I have found this forum to be a godsend since my hemorrhagic stroke 7 years ago and it is still my Go To place when I need advice or information or just for a shoulder to cry on when things get tough. Speaking to someone who knows exactly what you are going through is priceless. I hope you find this useful too and look forward to hearing from you.

Regards Sue

5 Likes

Bore da John, I too had a stroke caused by dissection from neck movement, a cerebellar stroke, a bilateral one, both sides of my cerebellum (So, is that technically two strokes?). I had six TIAs prior. I’m 47 now, had the stroke three years ago at 44. I too am in a small country at the end of the M4 called Wales. Creoso.

5 Likes

Hi John,

I am couple of years older than you, and had my stroke a couple of months before you. I struggle like nobody’s business with my stroke, and look forward to settled days. How long have you needed the afo ? Hopefully your arm will thaw out, and you’ll regain some movement. What we can’t say is when, exactly

Keep your spirits high,
and speak soon, ciao, Roland

7 Likes

@khyber Hi John, welcome to the community that none of us really wanted to join but it is a helpful place to be.

Sounds like you’ve been working hard on your recovery. Hopefully you can make some progress with your hand soon. They do seem to be tricky beggars.

Ask away if yiu have any questions.

Best wishes

Ann

6 Likes

I hope i pressed the correct symbol to reply to roland? But anyway ill answer a question he asked regarding my afo. Ive had an afo of one typeor another since i was n hospital. Ive got a carbon fibre one from an orthotist now that got tweaked by him and my physio to match my unique gait. I occasionally wear a boxia afo which is ok for short walks and the gym but my proper afo hold my knee in better alignment and prevents pain and hyperextension. Im happy with my progress on my leg now, i walked 10 km the other day going to the leisure caentre and back i missed all my buses and had no choice! My fitbit trackertold me i did 88 zone minutes interestingly only20 zone mins in the gym and 68 walking back and forth to the gym

5 Likes

Hi John I am Just like yourself i have just joined the group and still very much finding my way around everyone here is amazing will lots and lots of help and advice hope you get everything you need from this great group :blush:

4 Likes

Hi John, my husband (a previously fit and healthy 65 at the time) had a stroke in October 2021, caused by a blood clot, followed by a severe bleed on the brain. The prognosis was poor. After 3 months in hospital he came home and was determined to recover. He has exercised daily ever since and now walks 5 kms without an aide. He has worked hard to regain the use of his left arm and hand which were completely dead. A couple of weeks ago he fastened the button on the right cuff of his shirt with his left hand.
Keep going. I believe mindset is hugely important.

7 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Its very reassuring to here that other people in a similar position hsve had success with their rehab, just whst i needed to hear today. Good luck to you and your whole family.

4 Likes