Here I am again with a new Bobbi's Blog, just for you

Bobbi’s Blog 4

Here again and fresh from my notepad.

I hope you enjoy this small offering.

My laptop keyboard is red hot after all the one finger left hand typing.
Here is my fourth bit of writing. it is now out there.

Click the link in blue below to see the latest, written by yours truly.

the Bobbi Blog 4

Again, many thanks to Alex, Clement and all you others, for your encouragement.

I truly appreciate the words of support I have received from everyone, they have been a real motivator.

Also, I must say this,

I’ve enjoyed producing this fourth episode of the Blog, but without ‘you lot’ who share your forum with me I’d not have had a direction or a purpose. As always I look forward to what you have to say as we share our stories in this Online Community Forum.

In case you are late to the party,
and want to take a look,
here are the links to my other Blog posts:

the Bobbi Blog 1

the Bobbi Blog 2

the Bobbi Blog 3

the Bobbi Blog 4

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

comments on the bottom are very welcome
(that does conjure an image, I know)

7 Likes

Another great read Bob, your description of your visits to the floor made me chuckle :grin: it’s the way you tell them :rofl:

I totally re exploring other opportunities. Many of the things I enjoyed pre stroke are no longer possible but I have found other things to plug the gap. It’s not all bad.

I look forward to installment 5.

5 Likes

@Bobbi another great episode. I love the amusing way that you describe situations which many of us can associate with. I’ve been in very similar situations and your writing really brings a smile to my face. Keep em coming Bobbi :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Thanks very much for these blogs, Bobbi, they really make my day. I am nearly three years post stroke, and I still can’t really accept the “new normal”. I am greatly impressed by the amount of your one-finger typing - and no typos either! It takes me ages, and I usually don’t do much more than this!

Cheers, Jean

3 Likes

@Mrs5K @Strings @Jfitz

I am pleased that I’ve amused you. We are all in this same boat aren’t we?

As for ‘typos’ I am an Obsessive Correction Doyen. (O.C.D.) There’s not many posts get by me without at least one little pencil at the top. I should have those letters after my name.

It’s when you find yourself attempting to correct bits of dust on the screen . . .

Yes, yes, I did just try to do that.

Bobbi (O.C.D.) - newly qualified complete with the stiffycate.

6 Likes

Tee hee. I think we’ve all done that. Well I know I have :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: So glad I’m not the only one :grin:

As for your untimely visits to the floor, there is one good way you might avoid having to wait there for 2 hours for someone to get you back up again you know. Get down there deliberately and start working on ways to get yourself back up again. Rehearse it in your mind first and have a plan in place, particularly for if you can’t get back up again. Getting back up can be a good workout in itself too :smile:

4 Likes

@EmeraldEyes

Just turning over face down in bed can be a huge enterprise, and even more so trying to get back the right way up again. Don’t try it. Really. Don’t.
In theory I’ve worked out that getting in an upright position while on the bed might be better than struggling off the floor.
Just lock me up in a padded cell and I’d have it all sorted in no time.
It’s those hard corners.

Most of my progress has been made involuntarily.
By a trick of fate the powers that govern us, or me in particular, decide it is time for another lesson.
I always wonder how it could be such a problem these days when at one time getting down and getting up was just an ordinary everyday activity.

. . . and I suddenly think, I didn’t realise I had become this weak, or last week either to be honest. That’s another thing, memory, how does that work, again?

Avoiding tying myself in knots is an absorbing hobby. Not sure I’d recommend it though. Not for folk of a nervous disposition. Cirque de Soleil has nothing on me.

Must get back to my sourdough puzzle.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :person_juggling: :+1:

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I hear you Bobbi :laughing: But the best place to start would be to study how the likes of paraplegics and amputees do it on the likes of youtube :smile: You can learn a lot post stroke by studying them and how they manage in their daily lives. You can even pick up a lot of tips for cooking in the kitchen with them :wink:

3 Likes

Turning over when face down in bed is something I can now do but is taken 2 and 1/2 years to get that far. However I can’t get sleep in my preferred position with my right hand arm above my head while laying more or less on my tum.

Emerald I think that’s really good idea about paraplegic focused YouTubes informing stroke warriors. Do you have any suggested creators?

There’s definitely good content on getting off the floor with and without a chair beside you on yt. DS has a good one on the fall prevention in the home that I posted here somewhere too

5 Likes

Unfortunately I didn’t pay too much attention to creator names at the time I was looking…and that was at a time when I had limbs like noodles and cognition was still AWOL :laughing: I just knew I’m stuffed if I fell when no one was around and needed ways to pick myself back up again. That time fortunately never reared its ugly head for me and I’d forgotten at that resource until now :smile:

4 Likes

One of the falls I’ve had happened when I awoke in the early hours (as you do), didn’t turn on a light (c’mon, I’ve been living here for over 30 years - know it like the back of my leg) moved towards the door… and then got that horrible feeling that my balance was going on holiday. I knew the bed was behind me, somewhere, so I threw myself in that direction.
Missed it by half an inch. My wife, bless her, thought that a wardrobe had fallen over. I leave a small LED light on in the hall now.
Just thought you’d like to know… as you’re interested in falls, and that.

5 Likes

And you protested that you weren’t eloquent…
Aye right!!!

4 Likes

Several types of environments do not provide enough visual information for your brain and so can result in dizziness and unsteadiness. The most obvious of these is at night when it is dark, or when you are somewhere that only has dim lighting.

Balancing with your eyes shut is a whole other exercise which I have not been able to master…yet :wink:

Edit: what I forgot to say is, our stroke brain needs the light on when it’s dark for those very reasons above :blush:

2 Likes

Me neither
(Yet)
But I’m getting nearer day by day

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your stories, Bobbi.

4 Likes

@DeAnn

. . . and thank you to you too, for taking the time to read and to comment Your encouragement is appreciated. :heart:

2 Likes

Do you have a “bed lever” @Bobbi ? This is invaluable for turning over in bed, and for helping to get out of bed too.

1 Like

@Jfitz

Actually I have had one for some time. It can be very useful in the way you suggest.
Originally the bed was fitted with a number of rails. At my request these were removed as they no longer had any useful function. However they fitted the lever, a sort of short handrail at the head of the bed. It is useful, but there have been occasions when I have rolled over in bed and cracked my arm on it. I have wondered whether to save myself the bruises and the full blue oaths that it can cause, but maybe for a little longer the security it offers makes it worth hanging on to.

Thanks though for making that point. Sometimes I feel whole and it is only when things go wrong that I realise I have a way to go yet.

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

4 Likes

@Jfitz and @Bobbi. I still use that handrail (lever). I thought about getting rid of it, but find it so helpful in turning during my worst pain, and for sitting up to get out of bed. I think it will be staying indefinitely. Occasional I hit it with my arm or head, but better than being stuck in the bed or falling on the floor.

3 Likes