Hello to you, new member here

Hello. Brief intro.....Lacunar Stroke on 12/07/20, male aged 59 (now 60). In Pinderfields, Wakefield for 3 days, then 3 weeks in Dewsbury Stroke Recovery. Initially paralyzed on  right hand side-couldn't walk, and hand and arm were stuffed. Home on 6th August. Live by myself , so I had carers for one day and Physio/Occupational Therapists for  6 weeks (daily at first, then twice weekly). 

Now able to walk without aids. Can move my arm, hand and fingers. Still get loads of fatigue. Only fallen over twice! Do all my cooking, laundry, shopping, bathing, (some) DIY, and can drive. Had to give up work after 45 years this month. Sleep is my main problem, I can't sleep unti 9 a.m and then wake up at 4 p.m. Probably due to having spent all my life working from age 15.

Looking forward to getting out more post Lockdown.

Big shout out all stroke survivors, carers, and health professionals. It has been a catostrophic, life changing event for me, and probably the same for you.

Best wishes

Guy

Welcome Guy. Yes, stroke is a catastrophic event, but you, like others, are proof that recovery happens, although never as perfectly as we would like. I was affected on my left side and, like you, can do a lot of things. However, I do walk with a stick (but I am older than you).

Post stroke fatigue affects many of us and appears to be little understood. Mine kicks in every day at noon and requires an hour's nap. Then I am okay until bedtime. I always stay up till 11 pm and that ensures I get a regular night's sleep. I always play Classic FM for a few minutes to relax me before putting the light out. Where we would be without our health professionals I don't know. I will be forever grateful for all the help I received.

Hello Guy, you certainly experienced a stroke during the worst possible time ?☹️ you've done amazingly well, especially living by yourself.  It's been very tough for anyone who needed medical help during the pandemic.  Hopefully you have someone who can help you with shopping etc.  

Being able to sort out your sleep routines will help, but that seems to take a long time, and everyone will find their own pattern.  I just used to encourage my husband to sleep (or rest) whenever he felt like it, and it took a long time to get into a routine, but sleep is so important that you need to grab it when you can.  Your brain will thank you for it!!  

Luckily you have joined a great forum, a fabulous range of friends here to help, all with their unique experiences, but all survivors  ? you will always find good advice, support and encouragement.  We're all looking forward to the spring and summer, and hopefully greater freedom to enjoy life, take care 

Hi Guy

I'm another Pinderfields survivor!  Very impressed that Dewsbury now has a stroke unit - that's new since my stroke in 2017!  Good to hear you are doing well.  Fatigue is a pain but does go eventually.  Once you can get out and about doing a little walk everyday, this will also help your sleep.  you've made huge progress so far so keep up the good work! 

Hi, I'm James. Aged 60. I had a mid brain stroke in late December , came home from hospital with Coronavirus, then had another stroke in early January!

My speech is quite badly impaired and I walk like a dog with shoes on! Apart from that  I think I was pretty lucky, I can still 'take care of myself'. I can't drive anymore, nor can I cycle, which I used to do a lot. Thinking of buying a trike!

This is all very new to me, and I don't like it!

Welcome James. None of us like stroke, but we have to learn to live with it and not become its victims. I am sorry to hear you had Covid as well. My big stroke was five years ago and I had a mild second stroke last May during the first wave of the pandemic. Both affected my left side but not my speech. I walk with a stick and have good walking days and some that are not so good. I hope you continue to improve.

Hi John. Thanks for the response. I'm glad your speech was uneffected by your strokes, for me it's one of the most difficult things to deal with, I find it quite embarrassing. I'm fairly lucid in the morning but it all goes a bit pear shaped in the afternoon. I know what you mean by good walking days and bad ones, I have the same thing, again I'm probably a bit steadier in the mornings than I am in the afternoon. I have ordered a stick on eBay, just waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully it will help. Do you get really tired for no real reason? I certainly do!

Hi again James. Yes, it's post stroke fatigue and many of us have it. It does ease, but I still need an hour's nap at noon every day. You learn to go with your body, because post stroke fatigue is under researched and not understood. Others on this site may have more information than me.

Dear James

Welcome to our group of SS. 
My goodness, second stroke (within a month?). Thats very bad luck.As John rightly says, SF is a likely delight for most of us. Very little is known about SF but its by far the worst affliction for many of us. It does however ease, probably so slowly that you dont notice.

I had aphasia, the inability to get words in to line, but it eased and i could converse after three months. It seemed to accompany my mouth refusing to get the words said and my loss of memory. 
Dont fight it. Your poor brain is trying to mend the damage and it needs endless rest. Let it do its work. Get lots of sleep, lots if rest. The thing your brain cant do is to tell you when it lacks water. So keep hydrated. Lots of water every day.

Be positive.

Smile endlessly

lots of us are here for you

Colin

hello James I feel very sorry for you. Strokes seem to affect people who have been very active as I was and are not nice at all. You seem to be coping very well as you have been through a very bad time two strokes and covid as well. As the previous person as said rest as much as you can and let the brain repair itself. It does take a long time but you will get there.  All the best to you. Norma.