Having a Stroke . . . put your brain on ice

1 Like

Interesting stuff thank you Lorraine

But the daily mail really? And it does say some things that don’t make sense a thousand people are dying in Europe and 2000 are being left disabled? And 40,000 in the next paragraph these numbers don’t add up

Also describing a burst aneurysm has a blockage appears to have jumbled hemorrhagic and ischaemic strokes.

The core idea of slowed metabolism may limit the amount of damage is interesting.

Does a community coordinator role include curating information of interest to the community for the community’s consumption ?

Just a thought…

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

Interesting theory. You do hear of people surviving longer if they’re in freezing conditions (or something like that :grin:) so maybe it’s a similar principle.

1 Like

Doesn’t that woman, who was a brain surgeon, that had a horrific stroke (can’t think of her name) sit in a bath tub of ice every day ?

2 Likes

Do you mean Jill Bolte Taylor?

1 Like

That’s the one, read the book but although I should have been totally amazed at her recovery, I felt some of it was there as a sales pitch, put me off a bit TBH.

2 Likes

I hadnt meant to actually post that particular article. It was meant to be saved in edits for later as a reminder when I suddenly realised the time and had to shoot off. I got reading research articles on the subject matter, there are a number around on the internet, and just lost track of time…as you do😆

It was my daughter who brought the subject up in the course of conversation. Apparently putting an icepack on your head when having a stroke, can minimise the damage done as it can reduce swelling, slow down blood circulation, hence reduce the bleeding and further damage from blockages. But my daughter explains it better than I can :blush:

I was just wondering what the ambulance crew would have thought of me if they’d found me with a bag of frozen peas on my head to treat my stroke :laughing:

Joking aside, its a very logical and practical first aid treatment while you wait for the ambulance. The same as you would do for any other swelling injury.

3 Likes

You would have given the ambulance crew a giggle i’m sure. :grin::grin:

3 Likes