Haemorrhagic Stroke headaches after

Hi

Two days before Christmas I had a Haemorrhagic stroke, fortunately symptoms have been relatively minor and I was discharged on Christmas Eve. Obviously now very anxious about everything, one thing I seem to have are headaches which move around, is this normal? They aren’t bad headaches but obviously they are one of things I have been told to watch out for.

Nick

1 Like

Hi Nick @nick-hants and welcome to the forum. Sorry you’ve had cause to join us but hopefully you’ll find this a good place for support and advice.

I had an ischemic stroke but suffered many headaches for a long time afterwards.

Did they say what level of headache you should look out for? I know when I contacted 111 once one of the things they asked me was did I have a headache that felt like I’d been hit by a spade. So took it from that they meant a severe headache.

Anxiety can bring on headaches so try not to get too anxious. Easier said than done in the early days especially. Also raised BP a can cause headaches so try and relax and keep your BP under control.

If you are worried about your headaches then please speak to your GP for advice, if out of hours you can ring 111 or 999 if you are really concerned.

Wishing you all the best on your recovery journey,

Ann

2 Likes

Thanks Ann, I might try and chat to my GP tomorrow, I did try and talk to the stroke ward but they sent me back to the GP or A&E and really I just need someone to say it’s normal which I think it is.

1 Like

I think it probably will be normal and to be expected but definitely check it out with your GP. Will help put your mind at rest.

2 Likes

Hi @nick-hants

As Ann said welcome but sorry you have had cause to join us .

The problem with things that are normal is they apply to a population not an individual. Yes, many of us get mild headaches, extremely sharp headaches are sometimes a sign of a hemorrhage.

You might find the welcome post will give you some orientation and signposts to how to find the many of the posts on here that may help. It will definitely tell you that we all start frightened by the prospect of it happening again

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

I will keep you in my prayers

3 Likes

Hi Nick
I had a Haemorrhagic stroke. My headache at the time was just above my right eyebrow. Very conscious if I have any pain in the same place and certainly notice if I have headaches more than before but over time that worry will hopefully decline for you. Time is a healer.

It is perfectly normal to notice it big time early on.
Did they find an underlying cause ?
Cheers
Nigel

3 Likes

Hi Nigel,

Thanks, yep my stroke was a bleed in right basal ganglia, likely caused by blood pressure. You are right I have had a headache on a very specific area on the right but also what I would describe as tension headache too.

Spoke to the GP this morning who was superb and say it’s not uncommon.

Thanks for replying.

Nick

3 Likes

Hi nick
I had a left side hemorrogic stroke in 2021 and i sometimes get headaches but its often due to anxiety. If your really worrying then go to a@e or contact your gp. I found once i was sent home from hospital i had very little support and was quickly pushed over to my gp. Its natural to worry about headaches and tingling etc i still worry now and panic am i having another stroke.
Sharon

3 Likes

too much pressure in the eye, I imagine

1 Like

I had a stroke 18 months ago - I still suffer from daily headaches and depending on what I have been doing can be both banging (like being hit at the back of the head with a spade) or splitting across the front of my head or both at the same time! Who knew that was possible. I’ve been on Amitriptyline prescribed by the Neurologist for over a year but have just decided to come off it as it has side effects contributing to extreme fatigue and am managing symptoms by doing less or resting. So far so good - but they are frightening at first. I have sopken to a friend who suffered similar and they said it took a few years for them to settle down. Hope this is helpful in setting expectations. I worried less once I found this out. Rod

3 Likes

Rod, thanks for the comprehensive response, having spoken to a few people it does seem normal afterwards, you just end up with heightened sensitivity to everything, and I think that’s where I am. Am back seeing my GP tomorrow so hopefully can talk more then.

Nick

2 Likes