Getting back driving

What are people’s interpretation of the following from DVLA fitness to drive for medical professionals. Both for stroke and TIA.
I did a general enquiry at surgery and was told my notes from hospital say 3 months not to drive. I no longer have any of the reportable symptoms to DVLA under stroke listing.
First had my numb right side symptoms on 22nd December 23 with a couple of instances between then and being sent to hospital by GP on 28th where Lacunar stroke was confirmed. Positive my stroke occurred on the 22nd as that’s when leg went weak and floppy that same day. As I had symptoms between those dates hospital said they were TIA’s so because there was more than 1 it would be 3month ban. I’ve only seen the stroke nurse no consultant or follow up appointment. Is the DVLA advise saying 1 month from TIA to drive, with any further attacks a month off driving from that date? I have no issue submitting form STR1 which is required if you still have symptoms which I don’t. Will need to try and speak to GP. Sorry for the long read I’m just confused.
Steve

I’m confused too :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what you’re asking or asserting.

I think the facts that you have set out are

You had a TIA on the 22nd of December
You’ve had other neurological incidents
The hospital told you not to drive for 3 months

?

I do know that having a neurological incident means your license to drive is suspended.

Have you been contacted by the DVLA? If so how can you revoked to your licence
Or Have you surrendered your licence

I’m not giving any advice here. I believe that if you have surrendered your licence and had medical statements that do Say your fit to drive and you do not know of any impediment then you can request its return and you may drive from the date the DVLA receives your request until they respond or a year has passed.

If they have revoked it then you may not drive until they reinstate it which you may request You have made a whole state to support your request

I’m less certain but believe that if They haven’t revoked it and you haven’t surrendered it and a month has past since your last TIA or provoked seizure and you know of no other impediment then you may return to drive

I don’t know if the medical standards set up time scales such as 3 months that you mentioned above - I do know people say things that sometimes are in ignorance as the regulations so what actually apply

I would use the chat line to ask - I put the link in this post and a few others
Ciao
Simon

1 Like

I too was told 3 months no driving but I had vision issues.

I believe if you have been told by dr 3 months then you will have to wait out. You could try asking DVLA before filling in the form & see what they say.

1 Like

Sorry @SimonInEdinburgh I’m confused myself :joy:

None of that applies. The live chat doesn’t discuss medical so will need to phone DVLA
Thanks steve

1 Like

@Mrs5K going to have to call DVLA

Thanks
Steve

That’s your best option as you’ll have the definitive answer that way.

Good luck.

1 Like

From what I have heard you wanna start that early and be prepared to wait for a very very very very long time :frowning:

Good luck

If you don’t have symptoms of anything a month after your last event then that is one scenario. The told not to for 3 months is another scenario I don’t know how to play out together No of any clarifying material on the web

Ciao
Simon

1 Like

@Steevo_fife

It might be worth contacting an NHS driver assessment centre for a definitive answer.

You must realise that their judgement is final and they could bar you from driving.

However you also need to understand that they will try to keep you driving possibly with restrictions to ensure your driving is risk free.

I have talked to folk who were certain their disability would mean no driving, but now they are passed able to drive, something they had not imagined possible.

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

4 Likes

@Steevo_fife The DVLA information is, as you say, not at all straightforward but is open to different interpretations. Please don’t just phone the DVLA. Make sure that you take advice from an OT or community stroke professional who understands the situation. Unfortunately GPs aren’t really equipped to deal with this and will only point you towards their own guidelines.

2 Likes

@strings thanks I have kinda calmed down was on my high horse yesterday. Just a bit stressful. I have a week until my month is over before informing DVLA via form STR1 or online anyway. I would probably feel better if I had been to follow up appointments.

Thanks
Steve

3 Likes

@Steevo_fife It’s ok, don’t panic and above all don’t be tempted to drive until you are sure it’s ok. You do need to inform your insurance company that you’ve had a stroke, so do that first. They most likely won’t want anything else. Also contact your community stroke team and ask for an appointment with an OT. They can then advise you what to do

2 Likes

After my stroke I wasn’t allowed to drive for a month. I reported the stroke to the DVLA and was told I had to do a sight test at Specsavers and my GP was sent a medical form to fill in.
I was then given a letter from DVLA saying I was fit to drive. Found it scary to start with but I’m gradually getting my confidence back. Good luck

3 Likes

@Apple that’s pretty much my experience too although I wasn’t able to drive for 3 months.

2 Likes

Maybe it was 3 months! After 5 weeks in hospital everything was a bit of a blur till I got my brain working properly!!

3 Likes

1 month is standard so yours probably was a month. Mine was 3 months due to sight issues.

2 Likes

I had asked GP for a phone call regarding driving. He basically looked up on DVLA website guidelines I posted and said he would have no problem declaring fitness to drive. Obviously I will not drive until hospital give clearance. I did contact community stroke service as advised by @Strings they couldn’t understand it either but gave me a number for DVLA medical line (25 minute wait so not too bad). They have no issue with me driving once my month is up either and sending a letter of confirmation to me.
I can only hope if I get a follow up with the hospital that they will review decision. At the end of the day if they still say 3 months then that’s the end of it.

Thanks for all replies
Steve

5 Likes

Good luck trying to get through to DVLA tried today with no luck,i need to ask what my results were for my recent DVLA test when they said i couldn’t drive! As i dont have the results of the field test i wont know if there is any improvement when i have another,I cannot understand why they dont give you your results

3 Likes

They did give me my result straightaway and then I got a letter from the DVLA a few days later. As I understand it, Specsavers contact the DVLA direct with the results of your test. It was very smooth process. Now I just have to get my confidence back, not helped by the first time I drove, the brakes didn’t work. My car had sat on the driveway for months and the brake fluid pipe had perished. Thank goodness for the handbrake and the fact I remembered to use it.

3 Likes

@clibbers1 wow that was lucky. Luckily my brother in law takes mine out once a week. Good luck with the driving.

Steve

3 Likes

Initially I thought to wait till I could concentrate and not be weary. I did contact my insurance too. I had my eyes checked and was ok. Then sadly, I had more seizures, so my stroke doctor informed the DVLA. I have to wait a year from my last one. Anyway, it gives me a good chance to improve well. There is access to work and in time I could get the bus, now I’m old enough for a bus pass. Thankfully, my wife drives.

2 Likes